Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Özim wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Ozim, your argument i basically any player that chooses another club meant we didn't appeal, players snub Real and Barca, does that mean they don't appeal either ? Nonsense.

Bergkamp WAS at the top of his game when we bought him, he was one of the best players in the world, he still scored some cracking goals for Inter Milan, he just struggled to adjust to Italian football, there was nothing wrong with his game. The same with Henry, he went to Italy and his game wasn't suited to it, he came to Arsenal and the rest is history.

Overmars was one of the best players in the world when we bought him, we hadn't won the league under Wenger when we bought him and Wenger was a relative unknown still - so Overmars didn't come to Arsenal because we had a top name manager there. It was the lure of playing for Arsenal football club.

Bergkamp had struggled in Italy and it was between us and Villa as to where he’d go, obviously he was a top player talent wise but his stock had fallen due to his tough time in Italy.

Henry was at Monaco but we were already on the up by then anyway.

Overmars was at Ajax but had just had a long injury lay-off and no one knew if he would reproduce the form he had shown.

What I’m saying is that although they were exciting signings for a club where we were a the time they weren’t players with a host of top clubs after them.

When we came head to head with other big clubs we usually missed out in those days, I remember us missing out on Juninho to Middlesborough, I was gutted.

The guy was brilliant for Boro as well.

I just think the longer this mediocrity continues the worse it will get, because players will see us as a club who win and achieve nothing and a club not worth going to from a career point of view.

You clearly were not around when Bergkamp joined Arsenal.
At the time few people actually watched Italian football or would be following closely how Bergkamp was doing in Italy.
It would an absolute tiny minority of the fan base.
The fans knew Bergkamp mainly from international football and had heard how great he was at Ajax (even then very few would have actually seen him at Ajax)
He was simply a huge name that everyone - including the players - were in awe of when he signed for us.

You have absolutely no clue on who we were even in for back then, never mind who we missed out on.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Ozim, your argument i basically any player that chooses another club meant we didn't appeal, players snub Real and Barca, does that mean they don't appeal either ? Nonsense.

Bergkamp WAS at the top of his game when we bought him, he was one of the best players in the world, he still scored some cracking goals for Inter Milan, he just struggled to adjust to Italian football, there was nothing wrong with his game. The same with Henry, he went to Italy and his game wasn't suited to it, he came to Arsenal and the rest is history.

Overmars was one of the best players in the world when we bought him, we hadn't won the league under Wenger when we bought him and Wenger was a relative unknown still - so Overmars didn't come to Arsenal because we had a top name manager there. It was the lure of playing for Arsenal football club.

Our two best managers in the last 40 years were not big names and would not have been considered 'top managers on these shores.

Arsene Who? Even our players said it.
George Graham. He was the Milwall manager.

Big-name managers are simply not required.
As for players, we have for decades attracted excellent players and will continue to do so.
We also don't need 'big name' players - we need good players, whether they are 'top names' or not, that can fit into the team and have the right character.

That was 25+ years ago, things have changed, uncovering a decent unknown it almost impossible nowadays.

We tried it with Arteta and look how that’s gone!

Nonsense.
Uncovering and developing talent is as rife now as it ever was, probably more so.

You have some weird 'big money, big name' fantasy world going on in your head.
You're a fantasist and reality is not living up to your fantasy so you get upset.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:46 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

Bergkamp had struggled in Italy and it was between us and Villa as to where he’d go, obviously he was a top player talent wise but his stock had fallen due to his tough time in Italy.

Overmars was at Ajax but had just had a long injury lay-off and no one knew if he would reproduce the form he had shown.

What I’m saying is that although they were exciting signings for a club where we were a the time they weren’t players with a host of top clubs after them.

When we came head to head with other big clubs we usually missed out in those days, I remember us missing out on Juninho to Middlesborough, I was gutted.

I just think the longer this mediocrity continues the worse it will get, because players will see us as a club who win and achieve nothing and a club not worth going to from a career point of view.

At the time few people actually watched Italian football or would be following closely how Bergkamp was doing in Italy.
The fans knew Bergkamp mainly from international football and had heard how great he was at Ajax (even then very few would have actually seen him at Ajax)
He was simply a huge name that everyone - including the players - were in awe of when he signed for us.

You have absolutely no clue on who we were even in for back then, never mind who we missed out on.

Actually I was, you don’t have a clue.

Yes he was known internationally but he didn’t deliver in Italy, I also use to watch Italian football on Channel 4 on Football Italia btw.

As usually you come out with some nonsense you have no idea about!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

Yes he was known internationally but he didn’t deliver in Italy, I also use to watch Italian football on Channel 4 btw.

Like I said - A tiny minority of the fan base would have been watching Italian football on C4 and assessing how good Bergkamp was.
The main interest in it was Gazza and Lazio.
Bergkamp's signing for Arsenal was massive and the fan base was in awe of it.
That is a fact and you clearly were not around at the time if you think otherwise.

You demonstrate daily that you have absolutely no understanding, appreciation or even love for this club.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:01 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

Yes he was known internationally but he didn’t deliver in Italy, I also use to watch Italian football on Channel 4 btw.

Like I said - A tiny minority of the fan base would have been watching Italian football on C4.
That is a fact and you clearly were not around at the time if you think otherwise.

You demonstrate daily that you have absolutely no understanding, appreciation or even love for this club.

Again pal, don’t tell me what I should and shouldn’t have felt, you don’t have a clue and just because your bias has no boundaries it doesn’t mean you know what everyone thinks!

I never said Bergkamp wasn’t a big signing btw, you said that, I said he wasn’t at the top of his game and his stock wasn’t as high as it might have been due to his struggles in Italy.

That’s a fact I’m afraid, doesn’t mean it wasn’t exciting, it was because we use to sign players like Helder, McGoldrick and Schwarz (though I rated him very highly).

We also signed Platt that summer as I said and just missed out on Juninho which as a shame because he was a top player as well.

Rioch was a progressive manager and he managed to convince those players that Arsenal was the place to come to, his success at Bolton might have helped and bringing players like Mcateer and Stubbs through (two players I’d hoped he’d bring with him).
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:08 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

Like I said - A tiny minority of the fan base would have been watching Italian football on C4.

Again pal, don’t tell me what I should and shouldn’t have felt, you don’t have a clue and just because your bias has no boundaries it doesn’t mean you know what everyone thinks!

I never said Bergkamp wasn’t a big signing btw, you said that, I said he wasn’t at the top of his game and his stock wasn’t as high as it might have been due to his struggles in Italy.

That’s a fact I’m afraid, doesn’t mean it wasn’t exciting, it was because we use to sign players like Helder, McGoldrick and Schwarz (though I rated him very highly).

We also signed Platt that summer as I said and just missed out on Juninho which as a shame because he was a top player as well.

Rioch was a progressive manager and he managed to convince those players that Arsenal was the place to come to, his success at Bolton might have helped.

You didn't even have a clue about the 94/95 season and after Starman had to educate you on it, you got snarky with him.

We're Arsenal.
We have and always will attract excellent players.
They don't need to be top names.
You trying to denigrate the club at every opportunity and paint a picture of doom every day isn't going to change that.

We've been through good times and bad - currently, we're somewhere in between.
That's it.

Now f**k off.
You're boring.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:11 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

Rioch was a progressive manager and he managed to convince those players that Arsenal was the place to come to, his success at Bolton might have helped.

You didn't even have a clue about the 94/95 season and after Starman had to educate you on it, you got snarky with him.

We're Arsenal.
You trying to denigrate the club at every opportunity and paint a picture of doom every day isn't going to change that.

That's it.

Now f**k off.
You're boring.

:lol: that doesnt even warrant a reply, no wonder people don’t take you seriously your bias leaves you unable to have any kind of sensible discussion.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby StockGooner » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:17 pm

You two should probably ignore each other. Just accept you have different views. Every single thread comes to this.

Jay just because he has a different view you can't say he has no clue.

Just accept that you disagree and stop leaving comments for the other to pick up. If anyone on here is so stubborn to think they are 100% correct then they are the one with the problem. (Except Starman. He is always 100% correct I won't argue with his stats)
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:20 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

We're Arsenal.

That's it.

Now f**k off.
You're boring.

:lol: that doesnt even warrant a reply, no wonder people don’t take you seriously your bias leaves you unable to have any kind of sensible discussion.

Let's leave it how it is.
Success for you is Arsenal losing - and you really need us to lose, that much is certain.
Meanwhile, I will be supporting the team - as fans do - especially when we're on such good form.
:arsenal3:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:21 pm

StockGooner wrote:You two should probably ignore each other. Just accept you have different views. Every single thread comes to this.

Just accept that you disagree and stop leaving comments for the other to pick up. If anyone on here is so stubborn to think they are 100% correct then they are the one with the problem. (Except Starman. He is always 100% correct I won't argue with his stats)

He’s the one that accused me of having no clue in fact.

I wasn’t actually discussing anything with him, just the status of the club, he wasn’t even involved.

I told him he didn’t have a clue when he proclaimed to know what I was doing or thinking/feeling back in the 90s, which clearly he doesn’t as I don’t even know the guy, thus my assessment is correct.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Özim wrote:
StockGooner wrote:You two should probably ignore each other. Just accept you have different views. Every single thread comes to this.

I wasn’t actually discussing anything with him, just the status of the club, he wasn’t even involved.

You are trolling EVERY thread and making it about how shit the club is and how shit Arteta is.
It's non-stop utter f***ing nonsense.
Your agenda against this club, Arteta and the players he signs is totally out of control.
I mean seriously you are now on to slagging off our history too, which you obviously have no clue about.

Just go and support another club - someone with money who buys big names.
Newcastle needs some fans I hear.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:27 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

You are trolling EVERY thread and making it about how shit the club is and how shit Arteta is.
I mean seriously you are now on to slagging off our history, which you obviously have no clue about.

I actually don’t care about what you think, sorry. This has nothing to do with Arteta, just stating facts about how we struggled to attract top players in the 90s
Last edited by Salibatelli on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby StockGooner » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:27 pm

Özim wrote:

I don't actually agree or disagree with either, I think you've both got good points, I just hate the sniping, it's so boring. He did say you have no clue, which I think is wrong for anyone on here to do. We're all just fans. Some were good players. Some watch all Arsenal games. Some watch every single game they can, Arsenal or not. And some just watch highlights. No matter what we're all entitled to views.

And I'll respect anyone's views and sometimes disagree and challenge, if I'm wrong hey ho I will in fact say. If I still think I'm right I won't fight till I'm blue in the face. But you two clearly more than most disagree and it's getting personal at times, which seems a bit pointless.
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:36 pm

Özim wrote:

Agree with this. I think we did well to buy players that were top quality but undervalued. Overall, I think we are losing our appeal. It's only natural when you've struggled this long and you see it in our transfer dealings. But that's on the playing side. Whether we appeal to outside investors as much, I don't know. The billions KSE have slapped on for the asking price will probably put investors off.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

I mean seriously you are now on to slagging off our history, which you obviously have no clue about.

I actually don’t care about what you think, sorry. This has nothing to do with Arteta, just stating facts about how we struggled to attract top players in the 90s

Martin Keown
Dennis Bergkamp
David Platt
Patrick Vieira
Emmanuelle Petit
Marc Overmars
Freddi Ljunberg
Thierry Henry
Nicolas Anelka
Kanu
Ian Wright
David Seaman

Study the names - if you think hard enough you just might learn something about football and also this club.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk