Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Postby Rockape » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:45 pm

Telegraph:

Spending enormous sums on players is one thing, but funding behind the scenes and changing mindsets is the key to success
Jeremy WilsonCHIEF SPORTS REPORTER

When Peter Kenyon was handed the keys to Stamford Bridge following Roman Abramovich’s Chelsea takeover in 2003, he found that the biggest and most important challenge was also among the hardest to measure. How to make Chelsea, their players, their employees and even their fans believe that they belonged at football’s top table.

The catalyst here was not, as Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein described it, parking their tanks on his lawn and firing £50 notes, but the arrival one year later of Jose Mourinho. Special investment also needed a special leader and Mourinho would set a culture that took Chelsea from a club who could qualify for the Champions League to one who expected to win the biggest prizes. It rubbed off across the organisation. “At [Manchester] United, it was high-performance, high-achieving, aspirational – whatever job you did,” said Kenyon. “At Chelsea, there was none of that. Jose said to me: ‘You have good players, the problem is they have never won anything’.”

What happened next to the nouveaux riches?

Big money needs a big name and in 2012 there were few bigger than Zlatan Ibrahimovic (pictured). His arrival in Paris helped deliver a landmark first league title for the club’s Qatari owners, then in their second season. The money-no-object signings of Neymar and Kylian Mbappe followed in the decade since, but it is the ultimate free agent, Lionel Messi, who it is hoped will deliver an elusive first Champions League.

Manchester City

A flurry of big-money arrivals, led by the statement signing of Robinho (pictured) for £32.5 million, signalled the start of the Abu Dhabi era in 2008. That four more years would pass until they lifted a Premier League title should serve as a warning to Newcastle that success cannot be bought overnight. The owners have broken City’s transfer record nine times and made Jack Grealish the first £100 million British footballer.

Chelsea

Having money is one thing; knowing what to do with it is another entirely. In the summer of 2004, a year after Roman Abramovich completed his takeover at Chelsea, Jose Mourinho and Didier Drogba (pictured) joined his payroll at Stamford Bridge. That season Chelsea were crowned champions and a win-at-all costs mentality was established that pervades to this day. Many objected to their big-money, big-ambition approach; few could argue it has not worked.
Newcastle are starting from a lower base, but the essential challenge is the same. They won the last of their four league titles in 1927, and the last of their six FA Cups in 1955. No sleeping giant of English football has spent longer snoring. They need leaders, in the dugout and boardroom, who will shift mindsets. With the January transfer window rarely the easiest to do business, the starting reality will be to ensure that the rebuild does not continue next year from the Championship.

Invest in your infrastructure

There is a message on the wall from Sheikh Mansour just as you enter the City Football Academy in Manchester. “We are building a structure for the future, not just a team of all-stars,” it says. The quote is from 2008, but any doubting of its sincerity would be ended by a walk around an extraordinary £200 million site that officially opened in 2014.

City’s Etihad Campus is now the club’s hub. Whether Newcastle’s owners can create anything on that scale remains to be seen, but they certainly must think not just of rebuilding a team but an entire club.

Spending rules do allow capital projects, and state-of-the-art training facilities are critical in selling a football club to prospective players (and parents). It was something that Abramovich also understood and it can be no coincidence that, of the past seven FA Youth Cup finals, four have been contested between Chelsea and Manchester City. Newcastle did release plans for a new training complex in 2013 at Darsley Park. Rafael Benitez was shown plans for new facilities when he joined in 2016, but says that it ended up with little more than a paint job.

“If you want to attract players, it’s about the facilities, the contract, the city, the way you treat them,” said Benitez. Capital investment must also extend to St James’ Park and to staffing across every facet of the operation. City did not even have a human resources department in 2007. By 2010, they had spent more than £3 million on new staff offices. Yes, the truly eye-watering sums have gone on first-team players, but the structure around them has also been transformed.

Think local and global

Kenyon will never fully live down his claim that Chelsea would “paint the world blue” and, while some of their early forays abroad garnered limited attention, the work that was put in across Asia and the United States – allied to on-field success – continues to reap rewards. When the website ispo.com aggregated combined Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok users, it was no surprise to see Chelsea in sixth on the global list of football clubs. Manchester City were ninth.

Such popularity would have been unthinkable two decades ago and, while huge questions linger over the true value of City’s sponsorship deals, their commercial income has been utterly transformed. Chelsea the same. Such growth has further inflated their spending capabilities within the framework of football’s various financial regulations.

Thinking global also extends to sporting operations. The City Football Group comprises 10 clubs across four continents. Chelsea have benefited hugely from forging sporting links abroad – notably with Vitesse Arnhem – even if working locally will be equally important. There are already suggestions of a role at Newcastle for Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan. City were quick to harness Mike Summerbee, Colin Bell, Tony Book and Francis Lee. Chelsea have worked similarly with past legends and both clubs have placed significant emphasis on their community projects.

Recruit well and stay patient

The suggestion is that Newcastle could have something close to £200 million to spend in January and the understandable focus for fans will be their transfer strategy. The lesson from both Chelsea and Manchester City is to build for each phase while creating a group of core players around which a longer-term identity and culture can form.

“The team acceleration was like putting the roof on before we built any walls,” says Brian Marwood, managing director of City Football Group. And recruitment does not just mean players. To do that well you must implement an effective global scouting network. You must hire the right sporting director. You need the right manager. And you must hire a team of executives to put all this in place. For Chelsea, success came relatively quickly. City needed longer. “As ambitious as they are, the expectations of Newcastle fans might need to be tempered. These things don’t happen overnight,” said John Purcell, a financial analyst for Vysyble. “Good decisions will not be enough. Those decisions will need to be underpinned by patience.”
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fran Solo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:33 am

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:I don’t understand ffp. But I do understand that the worlds richest people don’t buy into football clubs to fight us for eighth place.

Probably not, but you must also recognising that buying players from a club only in 8th place probably isn't their first choice. I wouldn't worry about it there are already at least a dozen clubs who can tempt away our players, one more won't make any difference

But we have a good relationship with them. We just sold them Willock a few months ago. LMAO.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:06 am

Fran Solo wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:I don’t understand ffp. But I do understand that the worlds richest people don’t buy into football clubs to fight us for eighth place.

Probably not, but you must also recognising that buying players from a club only in 8th place probably isn't their first choice. I wouldn't worry about it there are already at least a dozen clubs who can tempt away our players, one more won't make any difference

But we have a good relationship with them. We just sold them Willock a few months ago. LMAO.

It’s a fcking no brainer. They will go after the weakest of the pack. We saw it was Chelsea and City. We were an easy mark and will continue to be. Saka, ESR, Ode, Tierney they are all top drawer. They go a couple of seasons outside the CL and they will be targets for Newcastle. Remember all these clubs that get rich over night first have to spend silly money on a tier 2 player before they hit the prime. So City were poaching the likes of Ade, Nasri, Clichy to get them to the champions league level after which they could go after the likes of aguero and kdb. Same will happen here. The likes of Halaand are not going to consider it until they sort out their basic squad and get into the CL. That’s where our high potential players come in.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:34 am

The Toon army will be over the moon at this takeover lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:57 am

EliteKiller wrote:

This.

The only real threat is that another club will become better equipped to overtake us.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am

I agree with Jay in that our approach will be sweeter. I still think we can be competitive, we just need a good manager and shrewd purchases - Liverpool are showing the way at the moment and proving it can be done.

It doesn't matter that there will be another team to beat, if we can beat Man City and Chelsea to top spot Newcastle won't be any different.

I have absolutely no problem with Newcastle being taken over, my concern is with the clusterfuck we have at the moment at Arsenal.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:09 am

theHotHead wrote:I agree with Jay in that our approach will be sweeter. I still think we can be competitive, we just need a good manager and shrewd purchases - Liverpool are showing the way at the moment and proving it can be done.

It doesn't matter that there will be another team to beat, if we can beat Man City and Chelsea to top spot Newcastle won't be any different.

I have absolutely no problem with Newcastle being taken over, my concern is with the clusterfuck we have at the moment at Arsenal.

:clap:
Nuggets

Postby swipe right » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:17 am

theHotHead wrote:I agree with Jay in that our approach will be sweeter. I still think we can be competitive, we just need a good manager and shrewd purchases - Liverpool are showing the way at the moment and proving it can be done.

Then you are clueless because it is a zero sum game. Newcastle will now finish every season above us which means we drop a level no matter how good Project Arteta turns out. The battle for the title will be between Newcastle, Chelsea and City with Liverpool and United fighting for the fourth spot. The rest of us won’t see the inside of the champions league again.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:21 am

swipe right wrote:

Then you are clueless because it is a zero sum game. Newcastle will now finish every season above us which means we drop a level no matter how good Project Arteta turns out. The battle for the title will be between Newcastle, Chelsea and City with Liverpool and United fighting for the fourth spot. The rest of us won’t see the inside of the champions league again.

We can always win the Europa

Oh wait....
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Nuggets » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:22 pm

swipe right wrote:

He has a good point, the clusterfeck we have as a manager is more concerning than the Toon getting taken over
Nuggets

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:45 pm

swipe right wrote:

^
Wow - what a load of nonsense that is.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:56 pm

swipe right wrote:

Yeah I agree with Swipe on this one.

All that's happened is another team has now emerged to upstage us, be more competitive than us and take a higher league position away from us.

Before anyone says "Well that might not happen" just take one look at City, where did they come from again? the Championship, now look.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:56 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:

All that's happened is another team has now emerged to upstage us, be more competitive than us and take a higher league position away from us.

Before anyone says "Well that might not happen" just take one look at City, where did they come from again? the Championship, now look.

"Newcastle will now finish every season above us"

You actually think that is true?
Really?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:05 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:

"Newcastle will now finish every season above us"

You actually think that is true?
Really?

Yes because they’ll get a decent manager in and sign quality players.

Meanwhile we’ll be stuck with some kids and a manager who clearly isn’t up to the job because ours is a long term project, one that will never amount to anything.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:11 pm

Kids at ManU built a dynasty. Remember " you can win nothing with kids",?
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk