Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:49 am

Arteta finished 8th last season, that’s 100% down to him.

He didn’t get sacked, this after finishing 8th the season before and getting beaten by our former manager.

I’m 100% sure he wouldn’t have survived at any other top club because they won’t put up with sub standard performances like this.

8th isn’t acceptable and should be an instant sacking, the only excuse is lack of ambition which we clearly suffer from after all Wenger failed to progress year on year for well over a decade and kept his job.

To be honest even the candidates we consider for manager show of ambition.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Özim wrote:Arteta finished 8th last season, that’s 100% down to him.

He didn’t get sacked, this after finishing 8th the season before and getting beaten by our former manager.

I’m 100% sure he wouldn’t have survived at any other top club because they won’t put up with sub standard performances like this.

8th isn’t acceptable and should be an instant sacking, the only excuse is lack of ambition which we clearly suffer from after all Wenger failed to progress year on year for well over a decade and kept his job.

To be honest even the candidates we consider for manager show of ambition.

IN his first season, Arteta took over the team after 18 games when we had 23 points. That is an average of 1.27 points per game.
In the games he actually managed, we averaged 1.65 points per game, which was the 6th best in the league and only a point less than Chelsea managed to achieve as 4th best over that period. We moved up the league. In addition, Arteta won the FA Cup.
It was a good first period in charge to the end of that season. Clear progress.
You incorrectly lay the blame at Arteta's door entirely - twice finishing 8th is your usual phrase - because you have an agenda.

Arteta's first full season in charge was not good enough for sure - 8th entirely on him. But the club have decided to give him a second full season to see if he can build on the good form since Christmas 2020. Correctly in my view.
Certainly to draw a conclusion that the club has no ambition is just plainly wrong - again it's just an agenda point plucked out of your ass for effect.

Overall the fact remains - the club have not stood by any manager who is responsible for finishing 8th 2 seasons in a row - for a long long time.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:43 pm

As I said he had half a season and to only manage 8th is disappointing, we weren’t particularly good either, only the FA cup glossed over the 8th place achieved.

Last season was dreadful, no one takes a section of a season in isolation, it’s taken as a whole and on that basis he should have been sacked, especially given that defeat in the EL leaving us out of Europe for the first time in 25 years. Even if you took that half of the season in isolation, he lost our most important battle in the EL against Emery, again another failure.

There is zero doubt this shows zero ambition by the club, any other big club would have sacked him without a shadow of doubt.

He’s been very unimpressive and here we are again in a new season and find ourselves in 11th place already, it really isn’t good enough.

I don’t need to prove this club lacks ambition, it’s been clear to everyone for well over a decade.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:52 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:Posted when Dein left:

left right left wrote:things r gonna f**k up at arsenal big time :(

This guy knew

Relevant then. Relevant now

/thread
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:55 pm

swipe right wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Rumour is they're courting Conte.

He won't turn it down, not with those funds, this is a managers dream job.

They won't win anything for as you say, two seasons, hell it may take them longer, 3-4 years to get all the transfers done etc to refit the whole team but as you say .......... its going to happen.

So you're saying in 2/3/4 years time City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea will all give up and let Newcastle win .... because for Newcastle to win then all those other cash rich top four sides must lose ..... are you so sure that's going to happen?

I would be amazed if Conte would join a project with little chance of trophies for several years - just not his style - maybe after some poor mug has done all the groundwork (like Mark Hughes at City) he will join but not likely right now, what could he achieve, avoiding relegation?

Newcastle do not need as much work as city did. They’ll be flying sooner. I expect two windows for them to crash into the top four. The Saudi’s aren’t waiting for much longer.

Newcastle need more work, because they are yoyo club, when the shiekhs joined Man City they were established in the Premier League, since being promoted in 2002 I believe
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Özim wrote:As I said he had half a season and to only manage 8th is disappointing, we weren’t particularly good either, only the FA cup glossed over the 8th place achieved.

Last season was dreadful, no one takes a section of a season in isolation, it’s taken as a whole and on that basis he should have been sacked, especially given that defeat in the EL leaving us out of Europe for the first time in 25 years. Even if you took that half of the season in isolation, he lost our most important battle in the EL against Emery, again another failure.

There is zero doubt this shows zero ambition by the club, any other big club would have sacked him without a shadow of doubt.

He’s been very unimpressive and here we are again in a new season and find ourselves in 11th place already, it really isn’t good enough.

I don’t need to prove this club lacks ambition, it’s been clear to everyone for well over a decade.

No - half a season where he did well enough (significant progress in points won from where we were) plus an FA Cup win.
Arsenal fans, in general, were in a good place at the end of that season and pretty positive about where things were going.
Revisionist history to suit your narrative is not going to wash.

As for this season, being in 11th place after 7 games, 4 points off top 4 and 6 off the lead is no problem at all - especially give the nature of our start and how well we did over the last month. Let's see how things pan out to Christmas.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:19 pm

I think fans felt positive because of the FA cup, the league wouldn’t have made them feel that way, we ended up 8th and weren’t very good, if you can’t see that no one can help you.

This season is more of the same, more defeats, more average performances, still a lack of creativity and the same issues as before.

Sure we can park the bus and keep clean sheets, but then we barely create anything, it’s just not very good.

You know you’re in trouble when you go to Brighton and they dominate you without their best player in midfield.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:31 pm

I was Arteta in from his first interview in public, I was Arteta in at the need of the FA Cup winning half season, I was still Arteta in when he started the 2020/21 season without Ozil. I became Artetas out during that 2 months of absolute bullcrap he served us and have been ever since.

Surely we were all ecstatic after winning the FA Cup though ?!!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:23 pm

theHotHead wrote:I was Arteta in from his first interview in public, I was Arteta in at the need of the FA Cup winning half season, I was still Arteta in when he started the 2020/21 season without Ozil. I became Artetas out during that 2 months of absolute bullcrap he served us and have been ever since.

Surely we were all ecstatic after winning the FA Cup though ?!!!!

That's it.
That 2 month period is key.
Other than that our form has been top 4 - or on the cusp of top 4.
This is why I have said that I will not support Arteta as manager if he takes us through a run like that again.
I too was Arteta out at the end of that 2-month run - it was awful... just 2 points from 21.

But after the Chelsea game we managed to maintain a run.

Going out of the EL didn't help for some. In and of itself it was not a big deal but in the same season as that 2 months meltdown, I can understand anyone who is Arteta out and will take a lot more convincing before changing their mind.

What I don't accept and will continue to challenge is when the desire for Arteta to be gone spills into negativity about everything to do with the club, onto all the players we sign under Arteta and pretty much anything that the club says or does. It's non-objective agenda-driven trash.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:46 pm

Imagine thinking finishing eighth and being awful this season is down to some 2 month period
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:08 pm

Yeah it’s ridiculous, it wasn’t just to the 2 month period, we weren’t very good all season.

I don’t care about this alleged half season form, I never felt it was good during the season, we’d win a couple than draw or lose and it kept going like that, the only time is was different was from a short time after the bad run and right at the end of the season when there was nothing to play for.

The rest of the time it was dreadful. The other big teams had CL football to distract them as well and we also know Liverpool we’re in terrible form themselves, didn’t stop them getting top 4.

That whole argument is ludicrous and I’m sick of hearing about it, no one except Jay buys it so I don’t know why he persists, last season was awful end of, that supposed good form he talked about was a made up of mostly scraped wins that were hard work where we often got fortunate with the result, it wasn’t “great form”.

We can already see we’re getting nowhere near top 4 this season, he knows it as well because he’s set a target of top 6 (which is rubbish anyway).

I’m just fed up with Arteta, his funny ideas and these terrible displays we put on most of the time, who actually wants to sit through that rubbish?

I’d rather see something exciting that has some sort of clear plan, no some losers football that makes almost every game hard work and boring to watch and won’t achieve anything.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm

Turns out we are trying to resign Ox. Hahaha so much for rebuilding.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Özim wrote:Yeah it’s ridiculous, it wasn’t just to the 2 month period, we weren’t very good all season.

I don’t care about this alleged half season form, I never felt it was good during the season, we’d win a couple than draw or lose and it kept going like that, the only time is was different was from a short time after the bad run and right at the end of the season when there was nothing to play for.

The rest of the time it was dreadful. The other big teams had CL football to distract them as well and we also know Liverpool we’re in terrible form themselves, didn’t stop them getting top 4.

That whole argument is ludicrous and I’m sick of hearing about it, no one except Jay buys it so I don’t know why he persists, last season was awful end of, that supposed good form he talked about was a made up of mostly scraped wins that were hard work where we often got fortunate with the result, it wasn’t “great form”.

We can already see we’re getting nowhere near top 4 this season, he knows it as well because he’s set a target of top 6 (which is rubbish anyway).

I’m just fed up with Arteta, his funny ideas and these terrible displays we put on most of the time, who actually wants to sit through that rubbish?

I’d rather see something exciting that has some sort of clear plan, no some losers football that makes almost every game hard work and boring to watch and won’t achieve anything.

Outside of those two months our record was not bad at all. In fact, if we had only taken 9 points from those 21 available (3 wins from 7) we'd have finished 4th.

Overall we've picked up points pretty well. Just need to avoid a similar 2-month disaster run this year and we'll be ok.

:arsenal3:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:35 pm

Sometimes we play beautiful football, like the day we beat Spuds. Real fans did enjoy it, at least 50 thousand+ did.
So, no matter where we are, most Arsenal fans do enjoy the infield spectacle and have hope that things will improve.
But they are simple folks....
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:46 pm

ag6789 wrote:Sometimes we play beautiful football, like the day we beat Spuds. Real fans did enjoy it, at least 50 thousand+ did.
So, no matter where we are, most Arsenal fans do enjoy the infield spectacle and have hope that things will improve.
But they are simple folks....

This is pure midtable mentality. Turgid football is acceptable as long as we have the occasional good game? Arsenal needs to have good games regularly to make Top 6.

We called Emery's 20 game unbeaten run papering over the cracks, because it ultimately wasn't enough for Top 4, which was our target. And we still defeated much tougher opposition then, such as the peak Poch Spurs team of 18/19.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk