Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Its giving us yet another competitor in the Premier league and we were already not good enough to face the current top 4 ........... so essentially we're fked.

The only knock against Newcastle is its in an area of the country that some footballers might not want to live in but with the money they'll be able to offer I don't think that is a big enough deterance.

Looks to me that Arsenal are simply getting frozen out of the top 5 now, it is what it is, its not like we were banging on the door of top 4 anyway.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:40 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Its giving us yet another competitor in the Premier league and we were already not good enough to face the current top 4 ........... so essentially we're fked.

The only knock against Newcastle is its in an area of the country that some footballers might not want to live in but with the money they'll be able to offer I don't think that is a big enough deterance.

Looks to me that Arsenal are simply getting frozen out of the top 5 now, it is what it is, its not like we were banging on the door of top 4 anyway.

It will make the successes we do have all the more sweet.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:42 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Another huge moment in English football as one of the worlds richest groups takes over an English football club.

This will be bigger than City’s takeover. Why?
- Newcastle are already a massive club with a big following and 50,000 seater stadium.
- They are the only big club in the city so loyalties and identity are less divided.
- They are profitable so the constraints of FFP won’t bite for a few years.

What does this mean for Arsenal?
- Inflated prices in the transfer market as the Saudi’s pour hundreds of millions in to the transfer market.
- Target our young players to build their squad. We are the most vulnerable of the big clubs. We are trying to develop a talented young squad. Players like Saka, ESR, Tierney, Odegard will be targets for sure. Bigger salaries, working with top managers and talent and a better chance of winning the league and being in Europe.
- And of course another rich team pushing up the table means we move down.

Should we consider the Qatari option? What else can we do?

You miss several crucial points - the financial rulers are no longer based on mythical figures but on the legally filed company accounts - Newcastle even if they were to have 10 billion placed in their bank account can still only spend a maximum 185m on new players in financial year 2021/22 - whilst 185m is a lot it's nowhere near the 1.1 billion that City spent or the 1.3 billion that Chelsea spent ... indeed we ourselves spent 130m last summer alone.

Sure over the next three or four years they can increase revenue through massive sponsorship deals but that will just bring them level with the spending power of the top clubs, not allow them to spend the huge additional sums needed to catch and overtake them ...

Yes Newcastle will be a much stronger side than they are now, but no they will not be able to "Do a City" those days are long gone.
id?

One extra buyer in a market that will be flush with cash as clubs see revenue returning post Covid - will a richer Newcastle make all that much difference to our ability to retain and sign players? not sure it will, they will be less than 2% of the European marketplace even with Saudi billions.

You clearly don't understand FFP - suggest you read this https://resources.premierleague.com/premierleague/document/2021/09/23/986cb70a-d9dc-4f98-9012-7fd292da4467/PL_2021_22_Handbook_DIGITAL_23.09.pdf it's section E that covers it.

According to Simon Jordan on talk sport (and FFP rules explained), Newcastle can spend as much as they like over the next 3 years.
Under FFP accounts are looked at on a 3 year rolling period. As Newcastle are currently in the green, they could spend £1b assuming they make the difference back in huge sponsorship deals and commercial revenue, which is very likely to increase dramatically over the next couple of years.

Visit Saudi will probably sponsor them £1b a season for their kit sponsorship. Get in CL and their revenue will increase again etc etc

Nope .... under that incorrect interpretation any club in profit could send unlimited money - in a rolling three years you can have a total loss not exceeding 105m .... yes additional sponsorship counts but even City only get 350m in commercial revenue ... Newcastle get about 150m now so maybe they could fiddle the numbers to the same as City - so an extra 200m more a year .... not some mythical billion.

Never believe the sports media ....

Only????????

It's gone up from 20m purely through financial cheating.
Newcastle don't get 150m commercial revenue per year.

Commercial income fell 2% to £26.2 million “impacted by the success, in the prior year, of the three Ed Sheeran concerts.”

https://northernfinancialreview.com/202 ... fit-up-86/

That 26m will be close to 300m in quick time - entirely through shovelling money between different businesses under the pretext of commercial deals - and NO ONE will do anything about it.

Newcastle will end up having 200-300 million per season extra to spend all within FFP - despite not changing a thing only getting a rich owner to cook the books. They will be spending as much, if not more, than City in a blink of an eye.

So right now they have a team worth in player value and wages some 700m less than City/Utd ... even with your wildly optimistic, 200-300m in a blink of an eye, forecast it would still take over two years to catch up ... far more likely that it will take 4/5 years (as it did with City) and even then that's only going to put them level with City/Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs in terms of revenue ...

When Chelsea and City made their giant leap forward you didn't have clubs already on 500m a year income ... it's a moneyball new world now

Don't get me wrong Newcastle will get a whole lot better, but to reach Chelsea or City levels will take many years, if indeed it can be done.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:55 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Its giving us yet another competitor in the Premier league and we were already not good enough to face the current top 4 ........... so essentially we're fked.

That success will never come so that sweet will turn to sour, no way we're breaking into the top 4 at all, our hope was that one of the top 4 Utd, Chelsea, City and Liverpool at least one of them on a bad run could be nudged out by a club on good form, but now 5 mega clubs?

Better get used to that Europa League you hate so much.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:09 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That success will never come so that sweet will turn to sour, no way we're breaking into the top 4 at all, our hope was that one of the top 4 Utd, Chelsea, City and Liverpool at least one of them on a bad run could be nudged out by a club on good form, but now 5 mega clubs?

If we don't, we don't.
As long as we're aiming to do so and give it the best shot we have with the resources we have.
I like us taking an approach of trying to identify younger players and develop them into stars rather than buying success with almost limitless amounts of money. There is no skill or achievement in that.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:13 pm

9 years after the City takeover, we fell out of Top 4, and haven't made it back. We couldn't even make 6th place after spending massively the past 2 years.

Newcastle under a decent manager (Benitez level) will take that final 6th place spot after Leicester in a couple of years tops.

Arteta will finally be able to focus on winning the PL without any pesky European distractions. The future looks bright.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:42 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

If we don't, we don't.
As long as we're aiming to do so and give it the best shot we have with the resources we have.
I like us taking an approach of trying to identify younger players and develop them into stars rather than buying success with almost limitless amounts of money. There is no skill or achievement in that.

There is actually skill in keeping a locker full of stars ego's in check, Pep has proven that.

Some managers literally can't do it without a full on rebellion.

I know what you mean about trying to grow things organically but sorry, the moment big money entered the Prem the landscaped changed.

The race has already started and we're still lacing up our shoes.

The way to level the playing field for us is to get on board the Qatari or big money train immediately before we take more hits as an organisation, then if everyone in the top 6 has money we can then be equal and again, the manager's tactics become the difference.

We can't keep sitting on the sidelines any longer, Real Madrid and Barcelona have been enjoying that privilege for years, now City and Chelsea, I'd rather we joined in now.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:53 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

If we don't, we don't.

There is actually skill in keeping a locker full of stars ego's in check, Pep has proven that.

I know what you mean about trying to grow things organically but sorry, the moment big money entered the Prem the landscaped changed.

The way to level the playing field for us is to get on board the Qatari or big money train immediately before we take more hits as an organisation, then if everyone in the top 6 has money we can then be equal and again, the manager's tactics become the difference.

We can't keep sitting on the sidelines any longer, Real Madrid and Barcelona have been enjoying that privilege for years, now City and Chelsea, I'd rather we joined in now.

There is no real skill in it.
Any player can just be dumped and replaced by another - no problem.
There's an exchange here that players are taking full advantage of - they know that they are on the gravy train.
It's probably EASIER to manage them vs a young player not on huge wages getting his head turned by the offer of huge money.
Once you are at City - you only need to keep your head down for a few years and you're rich beyond your wildest dreams.
There will be some who cause trouble for sure, but like I said , just dump them and spend another 100million on someone else. No problem.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:48 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

If we don't, we don't.

There's an exchange here that players are taking full advantage of - they know that they are on the gravy train.
It's probably EASIER to manage them vs a young player not on huge wages getting his head turned by the offer of huge money.
Once you are at City - you only need to keep your head down for a few years and you're rich beyond your wildest dreams.
There will be some who cause trouble for sure, but like I said , just dump them and spend another 100million on someone else. No problem.

That's your opinion .......... and its wrong on every level.

One, it is not easy to control a dressing room full of millionaires who think they're the bee's knees, even Pep has had issues with Tevez etc in fact it can be a nightmare, if the players turn on you, you get the PSG and Chelsea mutinees where managers have lost their jobs, we saw that here with Emery.

The pressue to get results in a billionaires club is immense and if the board feel you can't get the players to perform for you, your gone.

Two, your second point is not well thought through is it, what tends to happen is that the choice for the board is "Do we get rid of half the squad or just get rid of the manager" cost, speed of getting the change done, its the manager that goes.

Players at clubs like that can cost £100m, when you say "get rid of and replace" these are not £8m players from Rotherham United also when the team mutinees, its not just one player either.

Poor response from you on that.

Your example only works when the manager has already a solid proven and respected track record with the club and he's already a fixed institution like Alex Fergusson or Wenger was or what Klopp has become because those managers are worth more than the players, then the squad can't fk with them, but those sorts of embedded managers are slim to none these days, the rotating doors at Chelsea, Barca etc managers get the boot.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:51 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

If we don't, we don't.

That's your opinion .......... and its wrong on every level.

One, it is not easy to control a dressing room full of millionaires who think they're the bee's knees, even Pep has had issues with Tevez etc in fact it can be a nightmare, if the players turn on you, you get the PSG and Chelsea mutinees where managers have lost their jobs, we saw that here with Emery.

The pressue to get results in a billionaires club is immense and if the board feel you can't get the players to perform for you, your gone.

Two, your second point is now well thought through is it, what tends to happen is that the choice for the board is "Do we get rid of half the squad or just get rid of the manager" cost, speed of getting the change done, its the manager that goes.

Players at clubs like that can cost £100m, when you say "get rid of and replace" these are not £8m players from Rotherham United also when the team mutinees, its not just one player either.

Poor response from you on that.

Your example only works when the manager has already a solid proven and respected track record with the club and he's already a fixed institution like Alex Fergusson or Wenger was or what Klopp has become because those managers are worth more than the players, then the squad can't fk with them, but those sorts of embedded managers are slim to none these days, the rotating doors at Chelsea, Barca etc managers get the boot.

Have a look at Man City's signings and check out how many actually made it - i.e. were good signings.
You might be surprised.
They just buy without risk.
If it doesn't work out its not a problem - just get another.
Look at the players they are able to leave on the bench. These millionaire players are not even needed because another one is waiting to take their place.

Compare that to us - if Saka decides he wants more cash or gets his head turned and becomes difficult he holds all the cards because we desperately need him. The manager is in a weak position. EXACTLY this situation happened with the Auba contract. He was able to dictate to the club.
At City? Nah - he would have been benched and sold and they would have spent another 100m to bring in a top striker.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:57 pm

That has nothing to do with your opnion that it doesn't take a certain particular skill to manage players with ego's the size of the moon.

It does, its an utter nightmare to manage a team with such high demands when the players look at you like you're a nobody.

Emery got that treatment in the 2nd season, do you know how easy it is for that to happen when you're managing the Ronaldo's and Neymar's of the world?

Again, does a board replace a manager or half a squad? its the manager, so making a millionaire squad respect and take orders from you especially in rough patches is one of the hardest jobs in football, period.

Its why only the likes of Klopp, Fergusson, Wenger, Pep, Tuchel can manage it.

Most other managers would flopp and get rebellions in the locker room.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:36 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:That has nothing to do with your opnion that it doesn't take a certain particular skill to manage players with ego's the size of the moon.

It does, its an utter nightmare to manage a team with such high demands when the players look at you like you're a nobody.

Emery got that treatment in the 2nd season, do you know how easy it is for that to happen when you're managing the Ronaldo's and Neymar's of the world?

Again, does a board replace a manager or half a squad? its the manager, so making a millionaire squad respect and take orders from you especially in rough patches is one of the hardest jobs in football, period.

Its why only the likes of Klopp, Fergusson, Wenger, Pep, Tuchel can manage it.

Most other managers would flopp and get rebellions in the locker room.

Players with big egos.. sure it has to be tough, but you are assuming that a manager at Man City has a tougher job than one at Arsenal.
Not so, IMO. We have players with huge ego's too (although we're getting rid of some of them). For us, we can't afford to tell them to f**k off and buy (or already have) a replacement as easily as Man City can.

If City's manager went on holiday from August to May, City would still make top 4.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:03 pm

You’re all forgetting that there are becoming more Rich clubs than there are world class players and top quality Managers. For example, currently on the PL we have about six top quality Strikers and if one of those players were badly injured, where do they get a replacement quickly?
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:10 pm

Could do with them offering silly money for Auba in January :hiding:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:14 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:Could do with them offering silly money for Auba in January :hiding:

It's not a bad shout even though tongue in cheek.
Maybe just a big name to get them started is what they will do.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk