Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:07 am

DiamondGooner wrote:The owners have 300 billion, how much of that they decide to invest is up to them, your 1 bn guess is nothing but that, just a guess, like Swipe pointed out, they didn't make this purchase to lose or be 2nd rate.

As for who cares, it matters because Newcastle jumping from wherever they finished last year to top 5 means that top 5 is one place further out of our reach of top 4 when NC get up and running properly.

What sort of stupidness is it to say "It doesn't matter" ....... did it matter when Chelsea got bought? has it mattered when City got bought?

Mattered? its changed the entire make up of the top 4! and our place in it, which is now, none.

Most owners in the EPL have billions ... means nothing when it comes to how much they can and will invest.

Newcastle will be limited by FFP (yes it is a thing) and by the fact that unlike Chelsea and to a lesser degree City who had a clearly huge financial advantage over their rivals at the time, Newcastle will not.

Over the last five years despite all their billions City are no longer the top spenders ... Utd are back on top ... we are in third place not that it's done us much good in terms of league position.

1) Manchester United: £-457.6m
21/22: £-76.5m
20/21: £-58.32m (2nd)
19/20: £-138.24m (3rd)
18/19: £-46.94m (6th)
17/18: £-137.61m (2nd)

2) Manchester City: £-357.31m
21/22: £34.92m
20/21: £-90.14m (Champions)
19/20: £-79.67m (2nd)
18/19: £-18.89m (Champions)
17/18: £-203.54m (Champions)

3) Arsenal: £-291.33m
21/22: £-75.6m
20/21: £-59.27m (8th)
19/20: £-96.08m (8th)
18/19: £-65.03m (5th)
17/18: £4.64m (6th)

Newcastle will likely be able to match that level of spending as they ramp up commercial income but they will not be able to spend double or triple than their rivals as Chelsea and City did back in the day ... even with 300 billion back home that is simply not possible anymore.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:11 am

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I agree with Jay in that our approach will be sweeter. I still think we can be competitive, we just need a good manager and shrewd purchases - Liverpool are showing the way at the moment and proving it can be done.

It doesn't matter that there will be another team to beat, if we can beat Man City and Chelsea to top spot Newcastle won't be any different.

I have absolutely no problem with Newcastle being taken over, my concern is with the clusterfuck we have at the moment at Arsenal.

Then you are clueless because it is a zero sum game. Newcastle will now finish every season above us which means we drop a level no matter how good Project Arteta turns out. The battle for the title will be between Newcastle, Chelsea and City with Liverpool and United fighting for the fourth spot. The rest of us won’t see the inside of the champions league again.

Yeah I agree with Swipe on this one.

All that's happened is another team has now emerged to upstage us, be more competitive than us and take a higher league position away from us.

Before anyone says "Well that might not happen" just take one look at City, where did they come from again? the Championship, now look.

"Newcastle will now finish every season above us"

You actually think that is true?
Really?

Yes, you mug. Because the Saudis aren’t in it to finish fifteen minutes from top six like you are. They’re in it to try and win the league every season rather than some pie in the sky rebuilding project.

He's just creamed you there Jay (having a bad day in multiple threads today aren't you?), he's not lying.

The Saudi's are competitive people, they did not buy NC to finish 10th, they over the next 2-3 seasons will be gearing up a squad and manager to win the league and the CL same way if not more aggressively than Cities owners did or PSG's.

To put it into perspective, money wise, Cities owners will be kecking themselves in comparison to the Saudi Consortiums revenue of £300 billion.

Again, NC's new owners have more money than every owner of the Prem COMBINED.

........... reality is smacking you in the face again today, as much as I and every AFC fan don't like it, unfortunately, its happening.

Your posts do make me laugh.

There is one simple question. Will Newcastle finish above us every season from now on?
Answer. No. Obviously.
The rest of your post is fluff because you don't like your knowledge on boxing (which appears to be way way overstated) being challenged and you've allowed it to spill over on this thread. ;)

In the last ten years city have finished above us every year except 2016. So why do you think it will be any different with Newcastle?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:14 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:If mines overstated yours is non-existent.

You tried it, made a tit out of yourself, let it go.

........... or shall we dissect your track record, maybe starting with that Villarreal pub team you guaranteed us we'd push aside to the final?

Now you're trying to write off £300 billion of investment as "Not a problem".

Did you wake up today and choose "Delusion" or something?

Let what go?
Unless you are saying we will never finish above Newcastle again, the debate is already settled.

There also is no 300 billion investment.

I suspect about 1bn will be invested over the next 5 years or so.
It will be enough to make Newcastle a contender, but like I said before, who cares?
We will continue to follow Arsenal and enjoy the successes when they come.
This bedwetting silliness over Newcastle's potential future success is nonsense. The only issue with the deal is that the PL have sanctioned a murderer of thousands as an owner.

The owners have 300 billion, how much of that they decide to invest is up to them, your 1 bn guess is nothing but that, just a guess, like Swipe pointed out, they didn't make this purchase to lose or be 2nd rate.

As for who cares, it matters because Newcastle jumping from wherever they finished last year to top 5 means that top 5 is one place further out of our reach of top 4 when NC get up and running properly.

What sort of stupidness is it to say "It doesn't matter" ....... did it matter when Chelsea got bought? has it mattered when City got bought?

Mattered? its changed the entire make up of the top 4! and our place in it, which is now, none.

He just doesn’t get it. It’s like in tennis. Roger Federer stopped winning slams when Nadal and Djokovic got good. Imagine Federer sitting around thinking, I don’t care that my competitors are getting better I’m just going to enjoy my tennis.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:29 am

They won't be buying a new team overnight, and there's no Tuchel type manager they can bring in to change things instantly.

That said we only have 2 seasons max before Newcastle truly start challenging for Top 4.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:05 am

swipe right wrote:He just doesn’t get it. It’s like in tennis. Roger Federer stopped winning slams when Nadal and Djokovic got good. Imagine Federer sitting around thinking, I don’t care that my competitors are getting better I’m just going to enjoy my tennis.

What a terrible comparison - unless Federer can buy new arms and legs, replace his brain, and then do that over and over - there is almost zero similarity between him and a football team ... doh!

If you read all the words others have posted - for sure Newcastle will become more competitive - not sure anyone has claimed they will not, however unlike City, and before them Chelsea, they will simply not be able to spend unlimited funds and thus leap ahead of everyone else.

In case you've missed it Spurs, Everton even Leicester have managed to get ever closer to the top teams, Newcastle will just be another club doing the same.

The real issue is that we out of the top clubs are the ones who have gone backwards, tying to hide that behind others success is simply not going to fly.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:36 am

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:He just doesn’t get it. It’s like in tennis. Roger Federer stopped winning slams when Nadal and Djokovic got good. Imagine Federer sitting around thinking, I don’t care that my competitors are getting better I’m just going to enjoy my tennis.

What a terrible comparison - unless Federer can buy new arms and legs, replace his brain, and then do that over and over - there is almost zero similarity between him and a football team ... doh!

If you read all the words others have posted - for sure Newcastle will become more competitive - not sure anyone has claimed they will not, however unlike City, and before them Chelsea, they will simply not be able to spend unlimited funds and thus leap ahead of everyone else.

In case you've missed it Spurs, Everton even Leicester have managed to get ever closer to the top teams, Newcastle will just be another club doing the same.

The real issue is that we out of the top clubs are the ones who have gone backwards, tying to hide that behind others success is simply not going to fly.

The question is not whether it takes a year, two years or three years. The question is Newcastle will now have the dodgy finances to climb the ladder. MBS is buying this club to build a legitimate global reputation for himself. He’s not doing it to unearth the next Shearer or Keegan. We need to be aware and react accordingly.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:02 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:They won't be buying a new team overnight, and there's no Tuchel type manager they can bring in to change things instantly.

That said we only have 2 seasons max before Newcastle truly start challenging for Top 4.

Rumour is they're courting Conte.

He won't turn it down, not with those funds, this is a managers dream job.

They won't win anything for as you say, two seasons, hell it may take them longer, 3-4 years to get all the transfers done etc to refit the whole team but as you say .......... its going to happen.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:16 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Rumour is they're courting Conte.

They won't win anything for as you say, two seasons, hell it may take them longer, 3-4 years to get all the transfers done etc to refit the whole team but as you say .......... its going to happen.

So you're saying in 2/3/4 years time City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea will all give up and let Newcastle win .... because for Newcastle to win then all those other cash rich top four sides must lose ..... are you so sure that's going to happen?

I would be amazed if Conte would join a project with little chance of trophies for several years - just not his style - maybe after some poor mug has done all the groundwork (like Mark Hughes at City) he will join but not likely right now, what could he achieve, avoiding relegation?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:37 am

EliteKiller wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Rumour is they're courting Conte.

So you're saying in 2/3/4 years time City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea will all give up and let Newcastle win .... because for Newcastle to win then all those other cash rich top four sides must lose ..... are you so sure that's going to happen?

I would be amazed if Conte would join a project with little chance of trophies for several years - just not his style - maybe after some poor mug has done all the groundwork (like Mark Hughes at City) he will join but not likely right now, what could he achieve, avoiding relegation?

Newcastle do not need as much work as city did. They’ll be flying sooner. I expect two windows for them to crash into the top four. The Saudi’s aren’t waiting for much longer.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:21 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I agree with Jay in that our approach will be sweeter. I still think we can be competitive, we just need a good manager and shrewd purchases - Liverpool are showing the way at the moment and proving it can be done.

It doesn't matter that there will be another team to beat, if we can beat Man City and Chelsea to top spot Newcastle won't be any different.

I have absolutely no problem with Newcastle being taken over, my concern is with the clusterfuck we have at the moment at Arsenal.

Then you are clueless because it is a zero sum game. Newcastle will now finish every season above us which means we drop a level no matter how good Project Arteta turns out. The battle for the title will be between Newcastle, Chelsea and City with Liverpool and United fighting for the fourth spot. The rest of us won’t see the inside of the champions league again.

Yeah I agree with Swipe on this one.

All that's happened is another team has now emerged to upstage us, be more competitive than us and take a higher league position away from us.

Before anyone says "Well that might not happen" just take one look at City, where did they come from again? the Championship, now look.

"Newcastle will now finish every season above us"

You actually think that is true?
Really?

Yes, you mug. Because the Saudis aren’t in it to finish fifteen minutes from top six like you are. They’re in it to try and win the league every season rather than some pie in the sky rebuilding project.

He's just creamed you there Jay (having a bad day in multiple threads today aren't you?), he's not lying.

The Saudi's are competitive people, they did not buy NC to finish 10th, they over the next 2-3 seasons will be gearing up a squad and manager to win the league and the CL same way if not more aggressively than Cities owners did or PSG's.

To put it into perspective, money wise, Cities owners will be kecking themselves in comparison to the Saudi Consortiums revenue of £300 billion.

Again, NC's new owners have more money than every owner of the Prem COMBINED.

........... reality is smacking you in the face again today, as much as I and every AFC fan don't like it, unfortunately, its happening.

Your posts do make me laugh.

There is one simple question. Will Newcastle finish above us every season from now on?
Answer. No. Obviously.
The rest of your post is fluff because you don't like your knowledge on boxing (which appears to be way way overstated) being challenged and you've allowed it to spill over on this thread. ;)

In the last ten years city have finished above us every year except 2016. So why do you think it will be any different with Newcastle?

So not every season then.

Also, the reason we have been below City so often over the last decade is not simply about money... In fact given our own spend, it's probably the lesser of the reasons.

We have degraded as a club very badly over the last 10 years because we spent many of those years buying the wrong players, wasting money and letting a crap culture develop within the club. As a club, if we get our player signings right over the coming years, we are quite capable of finishing above City... And Newcastle... And every other team.

Leicester and Liverpool have won titles.
Liverpool are right up there with City now as one of the best teams in the country.

Nothing Newcastle do will negate our chances of winning titles in the future or getting top 4.
It will make it harder. Sure. So what?
It's a good thing.
I would like every club in the PL to be capable of getting top 4.

It's not lost on me that the same people who have been so negative about Arsenal before this newcastle news are generally the ones now saying we're doomed because of Newcastle.
It's just another example of feeding your own negativity.
It's as if you need some kind of acceptance from everyone else that we are doomed in order to make you feel good.

Sorry but we're not doomed at all.
Signs are good right now and I think we can look forward with optimism without bed wetting over Newcastle.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am

Due to Mike Ashley not spending Newcastle can spend 200 million without having to worry about FFP.

You can bet your bottom dollar they won’t be spending it on kids!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:51 am

jayramfootball wrote:[

Also, the reason we have been below City so often over the last decade is not simply about money... In fact given our own spend, it's probably the lesser of the reasons.

We have degraded as a club very badly over the last 10 years because we spent many of those years buying the wrong players, wasting money and letting a crap culture develop within the club. As a club, if we get our player signings right over the coming years, we are quite capable of finishing above City... And Newcastle... And every other team.

Liverpool are right up there with City now as one of the best teams in the country.

Nothing Newcastle do will negate our chances of winning titles in the future or getting top 4.
It's a good thing.

It's not lost on me that the same people who have been so negative about Arsenal before this newcastle news are generally the ones now saying we're doomed because of Newcastle.
It's as if you need some kind of acceptance from everyone else that we are doomed in order to make you feel good.

Signs are good right now and I think we can look forward with optimism without bed wetting over Newcastle.

You’re overlooking one thing, our owner doesn’t care about what happens on the pitch, it’s clear and it’s something you can see everywhere in the club.

It rewards mediocrity and doesn’t punish failure, you just cannot progress with an attitude like that.

I know you always like to sugarcoat it by saying we’re doing the right things etc, but if the owners were interested we’d never be midtable and not change anything. It’s not negativity it’s fact I’m afraid, you like to think this club is going places, we’ll this season so far isn’t indicating that at all, we’re still dropping points left right and centre and don’t look like a decent side at all.

All comes from the top, clubs like City and Chelsea don’t accept failure, they do everything they can to not allow it to happen, we embrace it.

Newcastle will overtake us and we’ll get nowhere near top 4, we’d need the club to finally bring in a decent manager who knows what he’s doing, obviously many of us hopes that will happen, but the truth is it’s unlikely because the owners want a yes man not someone who tries to dictate what they need and won’t settle for less.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:13 am

Özim wrote:

It's a good thing.

You’re overlooking one thing, our owner doesn’t care about what happens on the pitch, it’s clear and it’s something you can see everywhere in the club.

It rewards mediocrity and doesn’t punish failure, you just cannot progress with an attitude like that.

I know you always like to sugarcoat it by saying we’re doing the right things etc, but if the owners were interested we’d never be midtable and not change anything. It’s not negativity it’s fact I’m afraid, you like to think this club is going places, we’ll this season so far isn’t indicating that at all, we’re still dropping points left right and centre and don’t look like a decent side at all.

All comes from the top, clubs like City and Chelsea don’t accept failure, they do everything they can to not allow it to happen, we embrace it.

Newcastle will overtake us and we’ll get nowhere near top 4, we’d need the club to finally bring in a decent manager who knows what he’s doing, obviously many of us hopes that will happen, but the truth is it’s unlikely because the owners want a yes man not someone who tries to dictate what they need and won’t settle for less.

The owners have invested a fortune in the club.
We have no problem on that side. I certainly reject the notion that they are not interested.

Nor has the club shown it is prepared to accept mediocrity.
Wenger was sacked.
Emery was sacked.
Players have been shown the door.

Arteta will also be sacked if he doesn't get it right.

Your problem is you thought it was a quick fix and 20 months in charge was enough. I, and (more importantly) the owners think you are wrong on that.
They have accepted - they told us so - that they need to be more aggressive in rebuilding the squad and they have started to do just that.
It's going to take time - no matter how much you whine about it on the journey.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:18 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

It's a good thing.

We have no problem on that side. I certainly reject the notion that they are not interested.

Wenger was sacked.
Emery was sacked.

Your problem is you thought it was a quick fix and 20 months in charge was enough. I (and more importantly) the owners think you are wrong on that.
They have accepted - they told us so - that they need to be more aggressive in rebuilding the squad and they have started to do just that.

They’re invested more in recent times, but it’s not all about money, it’s about making sure the right people are in charge and performance is assessed (as happens at other big clubs).

Since they arrived there’s been this air of acceptance that sit not about winning, first top 4 is what mattered and now who knows, clearly there’s no accountability.

We’ve been 8th for two seasons, no way would that be accepted at any other big club and rightly so, but at Arsenal it’s absolutely fine, I guess because whatever happens they’re getting their money back so they’re not losing anything.

These people arent even interested in the sport, so how you can claim there’s no issue with ambition from them is beyond me, they’ve barely ever turned up for matches.

If you’re not interested then the club won’t succeed because it’s not important to you.

As for the sackings, it’s took years to sack Wenger, he should have gone many years before, but the people at the top really weren’t concerned, Emery too perhaps should have gone before given what was happening and certainly Arteta should.

Everytime though we replace them with someone as or even more inadequate, that just shows lack of leadership/understanding or care.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:22 am

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

It's a good thing.

Wenger was sacked.
Emery was sacked.

Your problem is you thought it was a quick fix and 20 months in charge was enough. I (and more importantly) the owners think you are wrong on that.

They’re invested more in recent times, but it’s not all about money, it’s about making sure the right people are in charge and performance is assessed (as happens at other big clubs).

Since they arrived there’s been this air of acceptance that sit not about winning, first top 4 is what mattered and now who knows, clearly there’s no accountability.

We’ve been 8th for two seasons, no way would that be accepted at any other big club and rightly so, but at Arsenal it’s absolutely fine, I guess because whatever happens they’re getting their money back so they’re not losing anything.

These people arent even interested in the sport, so how you can claim there’s no issue with ambition from them is beyond me, they’ve barely ever turned up for matches.

If you’re not interested then the club won’t succeed because it’s not important to you.

As for the sackings, it’s took years to sack Wenger, he should have gone many years before, but the people at the top really weren’t concerned, Emery too perhaps should have gone before given what was happening and certainly Arteta should.

Everytime though we replace them with someone as or even more inadequate, that just shows lack of leadership/understanding or care.

No manager in recent years at Arsenal is responsible for us finishing 8th twice in a row.
If we finish 8th this year, Arteta will be sacked - because then he would be responsible for two 8th placed finishes.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk