Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Tierney/Tavares

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Tierney Thread

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:27 pm

theHotHead wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:How is Saliba going to bench a Right back?

He's also not going to bench White because Arteta won't have it, he doesn't like Saliba, that much is obvious.

if the plan going forward is to play three at the back then we could have something like Saliba, white, and Gabriel at the back with a more attacking player like Saka at RWB. There is the option that no one needs to be dropped and tomiyasu starts at rwb but its hard for me to see this happening.

WRT Arteta not liking Saliba, let’s see how Saliba develops because only a fool would not play a superstar for emotional reasons

Its called pride and pride has a habit of making people make bad decisions!!

Very true. I've personally seen this many times
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:34 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

He's also not going to bench White because Arteta won't have it, he doesn't like Saliba, that much is obvious.

if the plan going forward is to play three at the back then we could have something like Saliba, white, and Gabriel at the back with a more attacking player like Saka at RWB. There is the option that no one needs to be dropped and tomiyasu starts at rwb but its hard for me to see this happening.

WRT Arteta not liking Saliba, let’s see how Saliba develops because only a fool would not play a superstar for emotional reasons

But that's not the plan?

Arteta already abandoned 3atb as his main formation, we've only played it once this season and that was the 5-0 against City.

Arteta has shown and clearly stated he prefers a version similar to 4-3-3 which he plays 4-2-3-1 on a weekly basis.

So no, no 3atb.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:40 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:I like them.

Gabriel could be WC in the next few seasons.

Ramsdale, I was doubtful but he's winning me over.

Tomi, such a breath of fresh air at RB from Bellend, physical, tireless runner, good all round player even though he struggled with the weather against Brighton (his own words).

Tierney, little disappointed that he seems to have hit his ceiling ability wise but he's relatively solid and can help offense although I don't like it when he goes mad with his crossing because they're so low conversion, I'd rather he drove into the box and laid it off to a player or plays it across the face of goal.

Abd your assessment on White?

Well that's awkward.

So yes, not to forget White.

Decent, an improvement on what we had, still seems a bit green and makes the odd rash mistake but hopefully if that settles over time and it isn't a main stay of his game like it is for Leno, Mustafi and Xhaka then he could do well.
For me right now he's an improvement on Mari, Chambers and Holding and has the potential to really get there, but I'll need to view him till Xmas to really make a clear assessment.

He def looks better paired with Gabby than the others who are all trash.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:27 pm

All other CBs look good alongside Gabby because he a very good player. Others need to raise their game to reach his level.
White slowly seems to be settling down. Think Holding will be ok as well and Mari maybe tried against weaker opponents once we weather the current turbulence or beside Partey to shore up against top teams.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:26 am

I agree that White is most likely better than Holding, got to see it first, definitely better than Chambers
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:30 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

But that's not the plan?

Arteta already abandoned 3atb as his main formation, we've only played it once this season and that was the 5-0 against City.

Arteta has shown and clearly stated he prefers a version similar to 4-3-3 which he plays 4-2-3-1 on a weekly basis.

So no, no 3atb.

Yeah, no 3ATB, but sometimes our defenders change their shape when we are attacking.
When one of the FB bomb forward, the other squeeze in the middle occasionally. Maybe that is why Arteta bought Tomiyasu. And Tierney can play as a pseudo left sided CB.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:01 pm

theHotHead wrote:I agree that White is most likely better than Holding, got to see it first, definitely better than Chambers

Oh, he's definitely better than Holding and Chambers. Holding does have two superb cup final performances and he's a decent back-up, who is happy to be where he is.

We mustn't forget that Holding cost £1.5m or thereabouts. For that fee, he's been really good for us.

White will be under scrutiny due to his transfer fee. Similar to Pepe. Both players are good, solid performers, but they're not worth what we paid for them.

Fortunately for White, he's at a age group where he can improve. CBs usually hit their peak at around 25-26, or even later—if they are genuinely talented. White has time on his side. But life comes and goes fast in football.

Atm, he looks like a £20m defender. Luckily, we also have Saliba, who at 20, looks good already. If we can convince him to sign a new contract, which will prove to be tricky as Arteta hasn't been fair to him, we'd have a great trio of CBs in our hands (provided White improves).
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:41 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

But that's not the plan?

So no, no 3atb.

Then White’s most at risk to lose his spot in the starting XI. i.e. assuming Saliba becomes a player that Arteta likes.

Not going to lie, it’s going to be awkward seeing one of Saliba, White, or Gabriel not getting sufficient game time after how much we’ve invested on each of them
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:58 am

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

But that's not the plan?

So no, no 3atb.

Then White’s most at risk to lose his spot in the starting XI. i.e. assuming Saliba becomes a player that Arteta likes.

Not going to lie, it’s going to be awkward seeing one of Saliba, White, or Gabriel not getting sufficient game time after how much we’ve invested on each of them
Was it awkward when we signed Keown and still had Adams and Bould?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:19 am

Does a bear extravasate in the forest?!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:58 am

I think too much of Wenger's BS is still in people's heads. "We didn't sign X because we didn't want to kill the career of Y" even though Y was nowhere near ready and X fits perfectly into our squad.

Wenger wouldn't have signed Gabriel because of Saliba. He certainly wouldn't have overpaid for White. We'd have been stuck with Saliba, Chambers, Holding and co whilst Gabriel became world class and Saliba made the mistakes young defenders make causing some of the fanbase to write him off.

We struggled early on this season due to lack of cover at the back. Next season we could have three top CBs, why would anyone have a problem with that?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:37 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:I think too much of Wenger's BS is still in people's heads. "We didn't sign X because we didn't want to kill the career of Y" even though Y was nowhere near ready and X fits perfectly into our squad.

Wenger wouldn't have signed Gabriel because of Saliba. He certainly wouldn't have overpaid for White. We'd have been stuck with Saliba, Chambers, Holding and co whilst Gabriel became world class and Saliba made the mistakes young defenders make causing some of the fanbase to write him off.

We struggled early on this season due to lack of cover at the back. Next season we could have three top CBs, why would anyone have a problem with that?

Yup.
If Saliba can have a good season and step up next year then having a 3rd 'ready to start' CB makes sense.
We also have Tomi who can cover at CB.
I think in a remarkably short space of time our defence went from looking desperate in terms of squad to looking very good indeed
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:37 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

But that's not the plan?

So no, no 3atb.

So how I think it'll go .............

White is an Arteta buy, Saliba isn't, Arteta has already had media showdowns with Saliba and his antics, he hasn't with White.

............... the maths is all there.

Also if Saliba is ever allowed to have a game for us and he is good, White and Gab can't play every game, especially with games in the Carabao and FA Cup and that's if we never get back into the Europa as well.

So we'd need another CB anyway, we have Mari and Holding, Saliba can replace one of them and be a stand by to sub for White or Gabby when needed.

It'll be no problem.

The bigger problem is I'm legit thinking Saliba's AFC career is over, by the time he gets to kick a ball in anger for us his contract expiry will be approaching and unless there is a massive turnaround in his relationship with Arteta then I doubt he'll extend with is.

His AFC career has been botched.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:40 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

But that's not the plan?

So no, no 3atb.

White is an Arteta buy, Saliba isn't, Arteta has already had media showdowns with Saliba and his antics, he hasn't with White.

Also if Saliba is ever allowed to have a game for us and he is good, White and Gab can't play every game, especially with games in the Carabao and FA Cup and that's if we never get back into the Europa as well.

So we'd need another CB anyway, we have Mari and Holding, Saliba can replace one of them and be a stand by to sub for White or Gabby when needed.

It'll be no problem.

The bigger problem is I'm legit thinking Saliba's AFC career is over, by the time he gets to kick a ball in anger for us his contract expiry will be approaching and unless there is a massive turnaround in his relationship with Arteta then I doubt he'll extend with is.

I think it will go forward in a pretty standard way... Saliba will play out the season in France and hopefully improve through the year.
He'll come back into the squad in pre-season and if he's good enough he'll get a shirt number.
So far I think he's been ok, but he has to improve.
White and Gabriel are 3 years older and will improve as a two in a back 5 that looks like our future.
It's all on Saliba to prove he is good enough to break that up and get in the team - otherwise I think he'll be sold in the summer.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:24 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

But that's not the plan?

So no, no 3atb.

Was it awkward when we signed Keown and still had Adams and Bould?

DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

But that's not the plan?

So no, no 3atb.

It'll be no problem.

I get the feeling we’re dealing with different personalities this time around. I can’t see either of the three taking a backseat to the other. I’m quite sure whoever’s out of favor with Arteta will want out ASAP
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk