Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Tierney/Tavares

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Tierney/Tavares

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:42 am

Zenith wrote:Image

Very cool, where did you find this?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:11 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:Very cool, where did you find this?

It's created by a graphic designer who goes by the name Goonertoons.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Goonertoons

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/goonertoons/?hl=en

Redbubble: https://www.redbubble.com/people/goonertoons/shop
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:59 am

Zenith wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:Very cool, where did you find this?

It's created by a graphic designer who goes by the name Goonertoons.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Goonertoons

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/goonertoons/?hl=en

Redbubble: https://www.redbubble.com/people/goonertoons/shop

Maybe something like that could be used for the site banner ( if permission is attainable).
Seems about time to change Auba and Ozil!
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:48 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 am

:biggrin: Tomi’s heading

I think teams are going to stop bothering to even try to put the ball in the air down his flank.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:46 pm

Our back 4 defensive stats from the Premier League website:

Makes for some interesting reading.
It's Benjamin White who is currently our best defender in aerial duels, ahead of Gabriel and Tomiyasu.
Who would have thought that from the narratives?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:56 pm

Think we can take tavares out of the title again
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:59 pm

Ach wrote:Think we can take tavares out of the title again

Why's that?
Overall he's been good and really helped us when Tierney was out injured.
That's the big benefit of having a good back up.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:52 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Our back 4 defensive stats from the Premier League website:

It's Benjamin White who is currently our best defender in aerial duels, ahead of Gabriel and Tomiyasu.

Well He's played the most minutes so he should be in the lead with those statistics.

Its a shame he dosent offer a awful lot going forward but defensivley i've been most impressed with Tomiyasu. More tackles tham White even playing at RB he has been our best defender clearly this season.

White is ok, has flaws but he has a lot to offer. Very good ball playing skills.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:42 pm

They will all look much better with a competent DM or a couple of quality CMs
Right now our midfield is very average as it has been for a while.
The back four remains vulnerable , even though their overall quality has improved.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:58 pm

elkanofan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Our back 4 defensive stats from the Premier League website:

Well He's played the most minutes so he should be in the lead with those statistics.

Its a shame he dosent offer a awful lot going forward but defensivley i've been most impressed with Tomiyasu. More tackles tham White even playing at RB he has been our best defender clearly this season.

White is ok, has flaws but he has a lot to offer. Very good ball playing skills.

Tomiyasu has been great defensively. Good technically as well just bit slow in the overlap when getting forward. I wonder if he's ever played as DM?

Flashbacks of Lauren.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:03 pm

Most minutes doesn't explain the highest % of duels won, he's simply been the best. Not sure why people like to downplay White, couple of rash challenges aside he's been great.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:00 pm

Santi wrote:Most minutes doesn't explain the highest % of duels won, he's simply been the best. Not sure why people like to downplay White, couple of rash challenges aside he's been great.

Yup - also even accounting for minutes and using a per 90 measure, White has better numbers than Gabriel on intercepting passes and headers won and as you say percentage of Ariel duels won.
Gabriel is ahead (only slightly) on some areas too.
The main point though is that they are pretty close on defensive numbers, but White is superior in possession, but with some on here only Gabriel and Tomiyasu get the plaudits, which we all know is agenda driven.
I love Gabriel and Tomiyasu, but White is performing just as well as they are (better in some areas). All three of them have been very good this season as a unit and are all playing their part.
It's just great too see such a solid defence when they play together - also Tierney... I think we saw just how difficult he is to beat with some other stats... then you have Ramsdale! It's just a top back 5 that Arteta and Edu have put together.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:32 pm

Santi wrote:Most minutes doesn't explain the highest % of duels won, he's simply been the best. Not sure why people like to downplay White, couple of rash challenges aside he's been great.

He's been Ok, good. No spectacular, he has clear flaws however I think works well next to Gabriel who definitely reads the game better and has better positioning. White offers a lot going forward as he's very good all round footballer. Has excellent passing.

We spent a lot of money on him and i hope it works out which it has I'd say enough so far. Gabriel is better and I'd like Saliba back next year to challenge him. I do hope you don't see me as a fan hating on him due to the pricetag because i just cannot bear to have him flop and piss 50 mil down the drain.

Looking at Tomiyasu who has more tackles than White shows my issue with White, he's got gifts but as he admitted he don't 'love' the game and he doesn't love defending. He just happens to be really good at football and as is naturally athletic and disciplined enough to play at the highest level. I would really like to see Saliba back to put him under pressure to improve on his weaknesses, He likes to be all action and doesn't thankfully yet display the careless rash madness we saw from Mustafi, they are similar, very all action defenders who can do a bit of everything but sometimes fail to do the basics.

Power n Glory wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

Tomiyasu has been great defensively. Good technically as well just bit slow in the overlap when getting forward. I wonder if he's ever played as DM?

Flashbacks of Lauren.

Yeah, Tomi isn't the quickest to be fair which is important for attacking right backs unless they have serious weapons like TAA & peak Kolorov and Srna. He's different to Lauren though. Lauren was converted into a RB and was a very solid player, better technically than Tomi and provided more going forward. Lauren was surrounded by Gods so we didn't appreciate how good he actually was because being our worst first player among the invicibles unless one of our first teamers were injured and we had one of Wenger's failed backup projects like Cygan etc.. playing.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:16 am

Do you think 61% is good ? I think its mediocre. CBs come onto the ball to head it, forwards are going on the direction that puts them at a disadvantage.

It just means Gabriel has been just as mediocre in the air. Lewis Dunk has won 65% of aerial duels !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk