Arteta Sack-O-Meter

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arteta Sack-O-Meter

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Thats not my point, my point is you can't transpose the numbers and compare with numbers from a different era, because it doesn't work. In the old days you could get a lead and just defend, if you lose the lead you only lose one point. If you do that now, you lose 2 points, so makes going for more goals more of an advantage. So that dictated the football that was played. So happens we scored 70 something goals in that 1970-71 season, but my argument remains the same.

I'm sticking to the simple fact that getting 65 points in 1970 is the equivalent of getting a lot more points in modern times - after 2 points for a win became 3. That is fairly obvious.

3 points for a win was introduced to try and get teams to go for wins.

Man City won the title last year with 27 wins from 38 games - 71% win rate
The invincibles had a 68% win rate
Arsenal 70/71... 69% win rate.
Leicester won it recently with a 61% win rate

Sto trying to support some weird claim that because title winners have 90+ points these days that it somehow lessens the 70/71 achievement because they 'only' got 65. That is horsecrap. The person who made that laughable claim probably didn;t even know there used to be only 2 points for a win and made the comparison in blissful (but predictable) ignorance.
Moreover winning 1-0 in this league has always been a good result and a great result away from home - as ANY win is.

Jay, you are blinded by Ozim rage LOOOL. I'm not supporting Ozim's argument, I don't agree with it, all I said is you can't compare the 2 eras because the points system was different and that dictated the style of play. Ozim clearly didn't realise that there were 2 points for a win back then, but, like you, he has dug his heels in and won't admit he is wrong.

Come on Jay, admit it, you and Ozim are pretty bloody similar. In fact .. I wonder if you and Ozim are the same poster, just trying to bring drama to the forum ...... :think:

HH,
I think you have fallen into the trap of agreeing with anything that suits the Arteta bad angle to the point where you are defending the indefensible.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm

Özim wrote:All I said was that his point about what happened in some games in the 70s was irrelevant to today and I stand by that.

I didn’t know about the 2 point thing admittedly so I was wrong there, but it doesn’t change the point I was making.

Star man brought up how we won a couple games 1-0 in the 70s.

So therefore what happened a few seasons back when we were a top 4 club is irrelevant.
So stop judging the club on those days.
You act like we should be winning the league and walking top 4 , rolling over teams in away games.
Through our history we've been lower than we are now.
We are a club who is building for the future.
1-0 away wins are fantastic results.... And I will repeat... That has NEVER changed.
The Invincibles...
Drew at home to Portsmouth, drew away to Charlton, drew at home to Fulham, drew away to Leicester, drew away to Bolton, won 1-0 away to Southampton, drew away to Newcastle, drew at home to Birmingham, drew away to Portsmouth, won 1-0 away to Fulham..
You haven't got the first clue about the game, modern or otherwise if you think an away 1-0 win is a bad result.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:15 pm

Özim wrote:All I said was that his point about what happened in some games in the 70s was irrelevant to today and I stand by that.

I didn’t know about the 2 point thing admittedly so I was wrong there, but it doesn’t change the point I was making.

I didn’t go running to the internet to moan how we had only beaten relegated teams 1-0
The 7 year old me was watching an Alien organism sucking the life out of everything by teatime
I guess watching a timelord helps you forget the total misery that winning games brings
I can see parallels though
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:12 pm

starmandb wrote:

I didn’t go running to the internet to moan how we had only beaten relegated teams 1-0
The 7 year old me was watching an Alien organism sucking the life out of everything by teatime
I guess watching a timelord helps you forget the total misery that winning games brings

You came on the Internet to spout some stuff about something that happened 50 years ago though.

We’ve been unconvincing all season, we beat Burnley but the same issues continue, struggling to create chances, that’s not progress at all, that’s just more of the same as last season.

I’m not going to blindly pretend things are great after we’ve continued to underwhelm under a guy who has proved beyond doubt he’s out of his depth, a guy who at any other big club would have been out of a job a long time ago. You might want to, but it’s not for me.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:23 pm

Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:

You came on the Internet to spout some stuff about something that happened 50 years ago though.

We’ve been unconvincing all season, we beat Burnley but the same issues continue, struggling to create chances, that’s not progress at all, that’s just more of the same as last season.

I’m not going to blindly pretend things are great after we’ve continued to underwhelm under a guy who has proved beyond doubt he’s out of his depth, a guy who at any other big club would have been out of a job a long time ago. You might want to, but it’s not for me.

Not for you?
As if anyone gives a damn.
You are the one spouting off that an away win in the PL is a bad result.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:25 pm

Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:

I responded to something I believed was unfair on the Arsenal
starmandb

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:28 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

So therefore what happened a few seasons back when we were a top 4 club is irrelevant.
You act like we should be winning the league and walking top 4 , rolling over teams in away games.
1-0 away wins are fantastic results.... And I will repeat... That has NEVER changed.
The Invincibles...
Drew at home to Portsmouth, drew away to Charlton, drew at home to Fulham, drew away to Leicester, drew away to Bolton, won 1-0 away to Southampton, drew away to Newcastle, drew at home to Birmingham, drew away to Portsmouth, won 1-0 away to Fulham..
You haven't got the first clue about the game, modern or otherwise if you think an away 1-0 win is a bad result.

It’s a bit different isn’t it, 4 years and 50 years.

We should be acting like a big club, just like other clubs behave and stop making excuses and coming out with PR about some pointless plan that clearly won’t work. Do you hear Chelsea, Liverpool, City or Man U talk like that, do you even hear Leicester speak like that. Do you hear other big clubs like Juve, Bayern, PSG, Atletico, Real etc talk like that.

No they are interested in achievements and progress and being involved in the race for the big prizes.

We’re not some two hit club with no money, we’re one of the richest clubs in the world and yet all we do is constantly make excuses and actually regress, from challenging to too 4, from top 4 top top 6, from top 6 to top 8 and the worst thing is they’ve convinced some fans that it’s the best we can do.

I don’t believe in this building for the future nonsense plan, it’s PR rubbish aimed at placating fans, when asked about expectations Edu couldn’t even bring himself to give an idea of what we’re aiming for, he said something about 6th 8th 10th etc.

I’m not the one making ridiculous claims pal, I may not be a football expert, but it’s pretty clear you know very little yourself.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 pm

starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:

I responded to something I believed was unfair on the Arsenal

It’s not unfair, after what we’ve seen expecting a decent win against two sides who are struggling and are pretty poor is not too much to expect, especially after what we saw last season and what we saw in our first 3 games.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

The Invincibles...

It’s a bit different isn’t it, 4 years and 50 years.

We should be acting like a big club, just like other clubs behave and stop making excuses and coming out with PR about some pointless plan that clearly won’t work. Do you hear Chelsea, Liverpool, City or Man U talk like that, do you even hear Leicester speak like that. Do you hear other big clubs like Juve, Bayern, PSG, Atletico, Real etc talk like that.

No they are interested in achievements and progress and being involved in the race for the big prizes.

We’re not some two hit club with no money, we’re one of the richest clubs in the world and yet all we do is constantly make excuses and actually regress, from challenging to too 4, from top 4 top top 6, from top 6 to top 8 and the worst thing is they’ve convinced some fans that it’s the best we can do.

I don’t believe in this building for the future nonsense plan, it’s PR rubbish aimed at placating fans, when asked about expectations Edu couldn’t even bring himself to give an idea of what we’re aiming for, he said something about 6th 8th 10th etc.

I’m not the one making ridiculous claims pal, I may not be a football expert, but it’s pretty clear you know very little yourself.

The Invincibles, 4 years ago?????????? JHC.

How about we look at the Champions from last year Man City...

Drew away to Leeds, beat Sheff Utd just 1-0 away from home, beat Southampton 1-0 away from home, beat Brighton only 1-0 at home, beat Sheff Utd only 1-0 at home.

I doubt they, or the majority of their fans, care about some nitwit Man City fan crying because they only won 1-0.
Get a f***ing football education.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:47 pm

Man City actually put in decent displays though playing attacking football and sweep teams aside, they don’t lose games and scrape wins when they do win, which is basically what we’ve been doing for two seasons.

It’s utterly uninspiring and boring.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:51 pm

Özim wrote:Man City actually put in decent displays though playing attacking football and sweep teams aside, they don’t lose games and scrape wins when they do win, which is basically what we’ve been doing for two seasons.

They did lose games. They got hammered 5-2 by Leicester at home, for example.
And no, those games I mentioned they just got the win or only managed a draw. They didn't sweep those clubs aside.

In every era of football I can point to the top clubs in the league winning games 1-0.
As I have told you before ANY 1-0 win away from home is a great result - always has been and yes, always will be.

You have some weird outlook where you think we should be hammering teams in this league. It happens far less than a close game even for the best teams. Did City sweep Southampton aside with their 0-0 draw at the weekend??? I bet they would have loved our result at the weekend.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:54 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:Man City actually put in decent displays though playing attacking football and sweep teams aside, they don’t lose games and scrape wins when they do win, which is basically what we’ve been doing for two seasons.

And no, those games I mentioned they just got the win or only managed a draw. They didn't sweep those clubs aside.

In every era of football I can point to the top clubs in the league winning games 1-0.
As I have told you before ANY 1-0 win away from home is a great result - always has been and yes, always will be.

You have some weird outlook where you think we should be hammering teams in this league. It happens far less than a close game even for the best teams.

They thrash teams all the time, what are you talking about, do you even watch football?

Yes they lose games, all clubs do but they also perform very well fairly regularly and turnover teams. We do neither.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:58 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

You have some weird outlook where you think we should be hammering teams in this league. It happens far less than a close game even for the best teams.

They thrash teams all the time, what are you talking about, do you even watch football?

Clearly you don't watch any football.
City last year, in 38 games, won by 3 goals or more 9 times. That is less than 25% of their games. All the time?
10 games, just over 25% of the time they won by 2 goals.
50% of the time they won by a single goal, drew or lost.

This season they have won by 3 or more goals 40% of the time and either lost , drawn or won by 1 goal 60% of the time.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:23 pm

They also play in Europe in the cup etc and thrash teams then.

I’ve looked back at their results and plenty of 5,4 and 3 goal hauls and plenty of comfortable wins, it’s also the way they play and create chances.

Everything we do is hard work.

Let’s not compare us with a team that won the league though, they know how to win and can turn it on, they hammered us 5-0 and could have scored 10 against us this season.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:26 pm

Özim wrote:They also play in Europe in the cup etc and thrash teams then.

I’ve looked back at their results and plenty of 5,4 and 3 goal hauls and plenty of comfortable wins, it’s also the way they play and create chances.

Everything we do is hard work.

I have given you the numbers above which show conclusively that City either lose, draw or win by a goal about 50% of the time - this season so far and last.
Hence 'thrashing teams all the time' is incorrect on your part.
Moreover, the fact that they either lose, win by 1 goal or draw 50% of the time over that recent period confirms that a 0-1 away win is a great result even for the Champions.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk