Arteta Sack-O-Meter

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arteta Sack-O-Meter

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:43 pm

Former Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker, who is now head of their academy, says the club are in a "massive transition" and hopes that first-team manager Mikel Arteta "gets the time that he needs" to improve the London side's fortunes. (Beautiful Game Podcast, via Goal)

Mostly a random quote with little context. But it implies that he isn't risking the sack anytime soon.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:33 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Thats not my point, my point is you can't transpose the numbers and compare with numbers from a different era, because it doesn't work. In the old days you could get a lead and just defend, if you lose the lead you only lose one point. If you do that now, you lose 2 points, so makes going for more goals more of an advantage. So that dictated the football that was played. So happens we scored 70 something goals in that 1970-71 season, but my argument remains the same.

I'm sticking to the simple fact that getting 65 points in 1970 is the equivalent of getting a lot more points in modern times - after 2 points for a win became 3. That is fairly obvious.

3 points for a win was introduced to try and get teams to go for wins.

Man City won the title last year with 27 wins from 38 games - 71% win rate
The invincibles had a 68% win rate
Arsenal 70/71... 69% win rate.
Leicester won it recently with a 61% win rate

Sto trying to support some weird claim that because title winners have 90+ points these days that it somehow lessens the 70/71 achievement because they 'only' got 65. That is horsecrap. The person who made that laughable claim probably didn;t even know there used to be only 2 points for a win and made the comparison in blissful (but predictable) ignorance.
Moreover winning 1-0 in this league has always been a good result and a great result away from home - as ANY win is.

Jay, you are blinded by Ozim rage LOOOL. I'm not supporting Ozim's argument, I don't agree with it, all I said is you can't compare the 2 eras because the points system was different and that dictated the style of play. Ozim clearly didn't realise that there were 2 points for a win back then, but, like you, he has dug his heels in and won't admit he is wrong.

Come on Jay, admit it, you and Ozim are pretty bloody similar. In fact .. I wonder if you and Ozim are the same poster, just trying to bring drama to the forum ...... :think:

HH,
I think you have fallen into the trap of agreeing with anything that suits the Arteta bad angle to the point where you are defending the indefensible.

Not really, if Arteta turns it around he will get my support, until then I want him out! I have no agenda, I want whats best for Arsenal always have. Nobody saw me kick up a fuss when Ozil was released because we started the season well, everyone knows how much of an Ozil fan I was.

As it stands, for the amount of time and money Arteta has had he is performing way below the level I would expect or accept for an Arsenal manager
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:26 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Thats not my point, my point is you can't transpose the numbers and compare with numbers from a different era, because it doesn't work. In the old days you could get a lead and just defend, if you lose the lead you only lose one point. If you do that now, you lose 2 points, so makes going for more goals more of an advantage. So that dictated the football that was played. So happens we scored 70 something goals in that 1970-71 season, but my argument remains the same.

I'm sticking to the simple fact that getting 65 points in 1970 is the equivalent of getting a lot more points in modern times - after 2 points for a win became 3. That is fairly obvious.

3 points for a win was introduced to try and get teams to go for wins.

Man City won the title last year with 27 wins from 38 games - 71% win rate
The invincibles had a 68% win rate
Arsenal 70/71... 69% win rate.
Leicester won it recently with a 61% win rate

Sto trying to support some weird claim that because title winners have 90+ points these days that it somehow lessens the 70/71 achievement because they 'only' got 65. That is horsecrap. The person who made that laughable claim probably didn;t even know there used to be only 2 points for a win and made the comparison in blissful (but predictable) ignorance.
Moreover winning 1-0 in this league has always been a good result and a great result away from home - as ANY win is.

Jay, you are blinded by Ozim rage LOOOL. I'm not supporting Ozim's argument, I don't agree with it, all I said is you can't compare the 2 eras because the points system was different and that dictated the style of play. Ozim clearly didn't realise that there were 2 points for a win back then, but, like you, he has dug his heels in and won't admit he is wrong.

Come on Jay, admit it, you and Ozim are pretty bloody similar. In fact .. I wonder if you and Ozim are the same poster, just trying to bring drama to the forum ...... :think:

HH,
I think you have fallen into the trap of agreeing with anything that suits the Arteta bad angle to the point where you are defending the indefensible.

Not really, if Arteta turns it around he will get my support, until then I want him out! I have no agenda, I want whats best for Arsenal always have. Nobody saw me kick up a fuss when Ozil was released because we started the season well, everyone knows how much of an Ozil fan I was.

As it stands, for the amount of time and money Arteta has had he is performing way below the level I would expect or accept for an Arsenal manager

He's performing below the level I want as well.
That does not mean I am going to spout off constantly about how shit everything is - because it simply isn't.
There are plenty of positives and things to be encouraged about, but too many are myopically focused on Arteta.
Even with Arteta there are things to be positive about.

The all or nothing, shit or great world some fans seem to live in must be a frustrating place to be - and most certainly a prison of their own making.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:40 pm

Its not all shit, we all know that, but its far from great. In fact it is further to shit than it is to great.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Like I said previously, the next now 5 games will tell us everything we need to know.

If Arteta doesn't have a viable working, winning system 10 games into the season then its over.

Only a poor manager can't find a way to win with our resources and players in that amount of time.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:49 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Like I said previously, the next now 5 games will tell us everything we need to know.

If Arteta doesn't have a viable working, winning system 10 games into the season then its over.

Only a poor manager can't find a way to win with our resources and players in that amount of time.

I would say until Christmas - unless we have a disaster over the next 5 games.
That said - next league game is so big for Arteta. It will one happy fan base if we manage to beat Spurs... and a miserable one if we lose to them.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:40 am

It's easy to play against the likes of Burnley Norwich and the mighty Wimbledon, they are literally bottom of the barrel opponents and don't really offer much sadly we are still a team that barely shoots or creates chances. We can just about scrape by when the quality of opposition is poor. However, the better teams will see right through us. let's put it this way. I am not confident that we can beat the bottom teams which is a damning indictment on a manager that has had more time and resources than he deserves. He just needs to be gone.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:58 am

Well we beat Burnley which I wasn't expecting, next up the yids, I don't expect us to get anything from that game, everything will be severely tested, its the first test of character and of where we are as a team, I'm not as convinced that we will be beaten as I was when I started this thread, I was 90% convinced, now I am at about 60% convinced we will lose, because Spurs have faltered in recent weeks.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:31 pm

theHotHead wrote:
theHotHead wrote:My predictions:
v Norwich - narrow win - spot on
v Burnley - loss - incorrect
v Spurs - loss - incorrect
v Brighton - win
v Crystal Palace - win
v Aston Villa - draw
v Leicester - win
v Watford - win
v Liverpool - loss
v Newcastle - win
v Man U - win

Result - not good enough, shou;ld be sacked.

If I was to adjust my forecast based on the Spurs performance.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:09 pm

With my adjusted forecast I have us closer to 28 points from the 11 games. If we can do that I would say Arteta has found the system that works, I would expect us to pip Man U for 4th place too.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 pm

9/9

Don Mikel
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 pm

Lol no chance. Man utd far too good.

Hopefully ole works his magic
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:57 pm

Ach wrote:Lol no chance. Man utd far too good.

What?
You hope 'Ole works his magic' so we don't pip Utd for 4th?
Wow.
Mask is off.
You must be feeling terrible after today to let it slip like that.
:think:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:08 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

What?
Wow.
Mask is off.

Works his magic in that he's absolute garbage and continues to be so

Unfortunately our manager is worse

But if you want to troll it up to make yourself feel better after a shocking couple of days lol, go ahead
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:27 pm

Ach wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

What?
Wow.
Mask is off.

Works his magic in that he's absolute garbage and continues to be so

Unfortunately our manager is worse

But if you want to troll it up to make yourself feel better after a shocking couple of days lol, go ahead

:lol:
'chopping straws with your arse' is the saying I believe.

What a great day - Arsenal brilliance.. Arteta sticking it to doomers.
When we win, you lose.
That's the bed you made for yourself.

Arteta is giving you a real kicking right now.

:1990_dancing.gif:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk