Major Refereeing Decisions

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Major Refereeing Decisions

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:34 pm

Dejan wrote:
Dejan wrote:Embarrassing thread.

Victim mentality.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5803 met Tapatalk
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:37 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Didn't some of you say the goal we conceded to Villa wasn't a foul last week? Where is the consistency? If you're saying this is a foul then surely that Ramsdale one is a foul as well.

Same as said with Ramsdale, I thought he should have done better and been stronger. Football is a contact sport.

Ramsdale was holding the Villa player, I don’t see how that is the same thing, that incident just seemed like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Erikssen wasn’t holding Odegaard, Odegaard just pushed him, I’ve posted a link to the video above FYI.

What was your view on the Saka situation?

I watched the video and still think it's soft.

I thought Ramsdale was soft and should have commanded his area better.

I think the Saka one is a penalty to me, he seems to get pulled down, it does look like there’s a bit of playacting in there as well which probably didn’t help him, it does look that way anyway, I’ve just watched it a few times over and in real time it looks odd, had to watch it a few times to work out why it looked so dramatic!

The Villa player is definitely holding Saka, what muddies the water a bit is what seems to be a bit of playacting, I don’t know why players do that, it makes what would be an easy decision harder.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:41 pm

Ach wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Ach wrote:It's a foul.

Dermot Gallagher went through it at half time. The push and the trip.

Can't complain.

It looks pretty clear, if this was one of our players we’d definitely be calling it a foul.

It was one of our players. Similar incident. Same game. Earlier on Martinez on Saka.

No names mentioned but people were saying Martinez should be booked

That's why I don't take them seriously.

Both were fouls.

Nothing like the MArtinez incident at all. Martinez kicked out at Jesus quite forcefully after loosing the ball. Odegaard was simply jostling /leaning into Eriksen.

The simple fact of the matter is that there were several instances in the game where players were jostling each other - in midfield and attack vs defence. They are not given as fouls because football is a contact sport and players are supposed to do that. Its even more dubious this season that it was given as a foul as we’ve been told that heavier contact will be allowed this year.

The most anyone can really bring themselves to say - unless they hate Arsenal - is that it was soft. Soft is not a foul this season and especially not something that should over turn a referees decision on the pitch.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:45 pm

This is the problem with VAR. Once VAR calls tierney over he has no choice but to call it foul. It’ doesn’t leave room for judgement. The same happened to West Ham this weekend.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:46 pm

swipe right wrote:This is the problem with VAR. Once VAR calls tierney over he has no choice but to call it foul. It’ doesn’t leave room for judgement. The same happened to West Ham this weekend.

Michael Oliver didn't change his mind yesterday when called over
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:47 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Didn't some of you say the goal we conceded to Villa wasn't a foul last week? Where is the consistency? If you're saying this is a foul then surely that Ramsdale one is a foul as well.

Same as said with Ramsdale, I thought he should have done better and been stronger. Football is a contact sport.

Ramsdale was holding the Villa player, I don’t see how that is the same thing, that incident just seemed like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Erikssen wasn’t holding Odegaard, Odegaard just pushed him, I’ve posted a link to the video above FYI.

I think the Saka one is a penalty to me, he seems to get pulled down, it does look like there’s a bit of playacting in there as well which probably didn’t help him, it does look that way anyway, I’ve just watched it a few times over and in real time it looks odd, had to watch it a few times to work out why it looked so dramatic!

The Villa player is definitely holding Saka, what muddies the water a bit is what seems to be a bit of playacting, I don’t know why players do that, it makes what would be an easy decision harder.

Why does that make an easy decision harder if it's a foul? Also, why defend a bad decision? Players do the dramatics to draw attention to a contact and that should have gone to VAR and called as a penalty.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Losmeister » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:52 pm

Ach wrote:

VVD special but Lokonga like VVD got away with it

Should be added to the list in the OP. But won't be cos ReFs ArE aGaInSt OnLy ArSeNaL

thanks
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:53 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

Why does that make an easy decision harder if it's a foul? Also, why defend a bad decision? Players do the dramatics to draw attention to a contact and that should have gone to VAR and called as a penalty.

It makes it harder because actually you can’t be sure the player wasn’t pulled down if they throw themselves to the ground.

I’m not defending I’m saying it looked odd in real time, then when I watched it in slow motion several times it became clearer Saka threw himself to the ground.

If you’re giving the foul for holding then it’s a foul, if you’re giving it for being pulled down then it’s less clear, is he actually being pulled down or is he reacting to be held and throwing himself to the ground?

I don’t personally agree with fouls where a player just gets a light touch and falls over, it should be enough force to knock them off their feet.

You see penalties being given for player jumping over a keeper and catching the keeper with their foot, that for me is not a penalty.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:01 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

It makes it harder because actually you can’t be sure the player wasn’t pulled down if they throw themselves to the ground.

I’m not defending I’m saying it looked odd in real time, then when I watched it in slow motion several times it became clearer Saka threw himself to the ground.

If you’re giving the foul for holding then it’s a foul, if you’re giving it for being pulled down then it’s less clear, is he actually being pulled down or is he reacting to be held and throwing himself to the ground?

I don’t personally agree with fouls where a player just gets a light touch and falls over, it should be enough force to knock them off their feet.

You see penalties being given for player jumping over a keeper and catching the keeper with their foot, that for me is not a penalty.

That's what VAR is there for.

Do you still believe Saka's was a foul and penalty? It sounds like you've changed your mind.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:02 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

Do you still believe Saka's was a foul and penalty? It sounds like you've changed your mind.

If it’s for holding 100% yes, if it’s for being thrown to the ground I’m less sure because the playacting makes it harder to tell if he’s actually being pulled with enough my force to fall over, but I’d still probably say yes.

I think the Odegaard one from today is different though, that’s a clear and obvious push with enough force to push Erikssen over, I’m 100% on that.

Shame because the Martinelli goal was Henryesque.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Losmeister » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:06 pm

playacting is the thing, for me, that has changed the game.

if harsh calling for playacting is enacted... it makes refs lives easier.

look at Emi last week.. gets touched throws himself on the ground. auto-yellow for me.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:07 pm

I agree, playacting makes it’s much harder to judge in some cases.

I think any playacting should be an instant yellow card, even if you do get the foul your way.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:09 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

If it’s for holding 100% yes, if it’s for being thrown to the ground I’m less sure because the playacting makes it harder to tell if he’s actually being pulled with enoug my force to fall over, but I’d still probably say yes.

I think the Odegaard one from today is different though, that’s a clear and obvious push with enough force to push Erikssen over, I’m 100% on that.

Shame because the Martinelli goal was Henryesque.

Erikssen swung his arm out to try and shield the ball, Odegaard pushed Erikssen's arm away. It's soft.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:10 pm

It is a card offence for a dive its hardly used
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:24 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Erikssen swung his arm out to try and shield the ball, Odegaard pushed Erikssen's arm away. It's soft.

It looks like a pretty hard shove to me:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1566453751531061249?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1566453751531061249%7Ctwgr%5Eae370e4b188d230870b3b10ae912b13e4a7ff907%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-7471073592619958911.ampproject.net%2F2208172101000%2Fframe.html

For me it’s a foul no question, there’s no doubt in my mind.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk