The Percentage Behind the Manager Thread

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The Percentage Behind the Manager Thread

Postby PairyGrows » Fri May 20, 2022 10:40 am

Personally, I can't see Arsenal winning the league in my lifetime. I especially can't see it under the current management.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 1:25 pm

ag6789 wrote:Barren spells happen for every big club. 'pool had 30 yrs before they won the PL; ManU now out for 10 yrs; ManCity before 2013 won Div1 in '68, Chelsea before 2005 were waiting since probably '50s, Spuds( if you call them a big club at all) are out for 60+ yrs.
Our time will come and we'll win 4-5 on the trot. Happens in cycles.
Good thing is we have been competitive even in doldrums. 4th-5th w/ occasional FA, cup finals , etc.

They do.
We've had 2 spells of not winning the league for 18 years before this current one.
A lot of the fan base only remember Wenger onwards so they feel entitled to top 4.
We finish top 4 less than 50% of the time in our history (actually about 4 times every 10 seasons)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 1:29 pm

PairyGrows wrote:Personally, I can't see Arsenal winning the league in my lifetime. I especially can't see it under the current management.

It's possible.
We had degraded so badly - I mean not simply the on field results but the entire club root and branch, I have also said we may never recover. The one thing we absolutely needed to do was what the board, Edu and Arteta have done - completely rebuild and change everything in the club. For now the 'non negotiable' approach is absolutely right. I would expect that to loosen over time, but right now we can not let anyone in the club who is not going to tow the line.
The next few years will be very important but there is no guarantee we'll ever recover.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 3:21 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Barren spells happen for every big club. 'pool had 30 yrs before they won the PL; ManU now out for 10 yrs; ManCity before 2013 won Div1 in '68, Chelsea before 2005 were waiting since probably '50s, Spuds( if you call them a big club at all) are out for 60+ yrs.
Good thing is we have been competitive even in doldrums. 4th-5th w/ occasional FA, cup finals , etc.

They do.
We've had 2 spells of not winning the league for 18 years before this current one.
A lot of the fan base only remember Wenger onwards so they feel entitled to top 4.
We finish top 4 less than 50% of the time in our history (actually about 4 times every 10 seasons)

No one cared about top 4 that’s why, if they couldn’t win the league they turned their attention to other trophies.

Now because of the CL it’s seen as some sort of achievement, I’d like them to strip the CL back so that you actually have to win or challenge for something to qualify.

I’d limit the CL to 2 places and then if you absolutely had to have another team it would be the qualification rounds for winning the FA cup, that way the FA cup becomes more prestigious again as it was years ago rather than this secondary competition.

It’s why I value qualifying for the CL through winning the EL over count 4th, you have to win something to qualify.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby UFGN » Fri May 20, 2022 3:26 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

They do.

No one cared about top 4 that’s why, if they couldn’t win the league they turned their attention to other trophies.

Now because of the CL it’s seen as some sort of achievement, I’d like them to strip the CL back so that you actually have to win or challenge for something to qualify.

I’d limit the CL to 2 places and then if you absolutely had to have another team it would be the qualification rounds for winning the FA cup, that way the FA cup becomes more prestigious again as it was years ago rather than this secondary competition.

It’s why I value qualifying for the CL through winning the EL over count 4th, you have to win something to qualify.

I would also reiterate that top four in itself is not an achievement. The aim must always be to win the league. Top four is a steppingstone, not a destination
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 3:28 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

They do.

Blimey - I find myself almost agreeing with you.
Personally the Champions league should be for winners only imo.
2nd should not be good enough.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 7:00 pm

UFGN wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

They do.

I would also reiterate that top four in itself is not an achievement. The aim must always be to win the league. Top four is a steppingstone, not a destination

Woah hold your horses there cowboy, win the league??

That is not part of the process.

The way we go about business that's like asking a runner with a broken ankle to win the 100m sprint.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri May 20, 2022 9:39 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

They do.

The way we go about business that's like asking a runner with a broken ankle to win the 100m sprint.

It's the standard I held Wenger to.

I'm not saying it would happen next season, but for a club like Arsenal it should never be off the table..... It should always be no more than about four years away as a strong possibility. If it feels further away than that, then we have the wrong manager
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 10:45 pm

UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

They do.

I'm not saying it would happen next season, but for a club like Arsenal it should never be off the table..... It should always be no more than about four years away as a strong possibility. If it feels further away than that, then we have the wrong manager

Well according to some on here, the process goes, we weren't supposed to finish top 4 this season, next season its just to get top 4.

Winning the league isn't in next years plans apparently.

Obviously I don't buy that crap, fact is we won't win the league because our manager is a rookie, so is our recruitment and our Director ......... top it off with a sprinkling of Kroenke sounds like he's thrown his toys out of the pram about not getting CL money because Arteta is making noises of him not getting large funds this summer.

Seems we're not the only ones bothered about missing top 4, but Stan is too.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri May 20, 2022 10:54 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

They do.

Well according to some on here, the process goes, we weren't supposed to finish top 4 this season, next season its just to get top 4.

Winning the league isn't in next years plans apparently.

Obviously I don't buy that crap, fact is we won't win the league because our manager is a rookie, so is our recruitment and our Director ......... top it off with a sprinkling of Kroenke sounds like he's thrown his toys out of the pram about not getting CL money because Arteta is making noises of him not getting large funds this summer.

Seems we're not the only ones bothered about missing top 4, but Stan is too.

From Kronk's pov he must be furious.

This isn't some guy who doesn't get professional sport. He might not be a football man but he certainly is a sport business man. He understands the importance of taking an opportunity and running with it. And his manager has bottled a golden opportunity and cost him tens of millions of pounds, despite being given considerable transfer funds up until now.

UFGN

Postby VCC » Fri May 20, 2022 11:32 pm

Every investment is done for a return, no CL will have a cost, Arteta is not on a freebe for life.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 21, 2022 7:28 am

VCC wrote:Every investment is done for a return, no CL will have a cost, Arteta is not on a freebe for life.
This is the good thing about now compared to Wenger's latter years. If Arteta fails, he'll be sacked. With Wenger you felt it could go on indefinitely.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Sat May 21, 2022 7:33 am

Dreaming of a different era serves no purpose - Wenger only had two rivals for most of his tenure - CL qualification was almost a given for us and not the massive financial necessity it is now, thus focus could easily be applied to winning cups. Time moved on and CL qualification became harder with first Chelsea then City being added to the challengers.

Move forward and in 2022 there are City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd, Spurs and a few 'if all goes well' clubs with the chance for CL .... only City, Liverpool and perhaps Chelsea can also focus on winning Cups ... for the rest of us it's now top four or failure.

The CL is not reverting back to Champions only, indeed it's expanding. Sure as fans we hate that but fans don't and never have called the shots. That's probably good for us because if CL was 1st and even 2nd as well, what chance would we have? - remind me again how many European Cups have we won?

To qualify for the CL, let alone win it, requires a team of great players and a bit of luck, crucially it also requires a top quality experienced manager .... there are no short cuts or cheap options, there never will be.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Sat May 21, 2022 7:39 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:
VCC wrote:Every investment is done for a return, no CL will have a cost, Arteta is not on a freebe for life.
This is the good thing about now compared to Wenger's latter years. If Arteta fails, he'll be sacked. With Wenger you felt it could go on indefinitely.

:pray: we live in hope.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 21, 2022 7:44 am

Nuggets wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:

:pray: we live in hope.
The only bone of contention is what constitutes 'failure'
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext