Takehiro Tomiyasu (18)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Takehiro Tomiyasu (18)

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:00 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:If Tommy isn't going to be available for the Wolves game which is looking more and more likely to be the case, I'd be more inclined to have Tavares deputise for him than Cedric as things stand, as switching flanks isn't an issue for him as well as being mindful of his earlier effectiveness as part of our resurgent defensive unit.

Unfortunately for Cedric, he appears to have been struck down by the same syndrome that befell Kolasinac, who undoubtedly began his Arsenal career in beast mode which led to suggestions that he could indeed become the solution to our need of a destructive defensive midfielder if tried in the role.

Last season, up until Cedric got switched to the left in filling in for Tierney, he'd been enjoying that little purple patch of form at right back which duly got many of the fan base to now be on side with him along with his wife, but since then has pretty much seen his good form shrivel up and drop off like a lepers dick.
White RB, Senderos CB
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:07 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:If Tommy isn't going to be available for the Wolves game which is looking more and more likely to be the case, I'd be more inclined to have Tavares deputise for him than Cedric as things stand, as switching flanks isn't an issue for him as well as being mindful of his earlier effectiveness as part of our resurgent defensive unit.

Unfortunately for Cedric, he appears to have been struck down by the same syndrome that befell Kolasinac, who undoubtedly began his Arsenal career in beast mode which led to suggestions that he could indeed become the solution to our need of a destructive defensive midfielder if tried in the role.

Last season, up until Cedric got switched to the left in filling in for Tierney, he'd been enjoying that little purple patch of form at right back which duly got many of the fan base to now be on side with him along with his wife, but since then has pretty much seen his good form shrivel up and drop off like a lepers dick.
White RB, Senderos CB

The first issue I'd have with moving Mr. Reservoir Dog across to right back Big Tone, is that it would effectively be no more than a coin toss and calling heads or tails as to whether we'd get a performance equivalent to a Liebfraumilch, or that of a Bollinger '68.

The second is that in then bringing in Holding to deputise for White at the heart of the defence equates to us opting to play with a double handicap instead of just the one, ergo, voluntarily reducing our established back four set-up from 75% capacity to 50%. Without wanting to over egg the pudding, I'd rather have 3 players who've had the defensive functionality locked down this season now carry one new component, than just 2 who are in their comfort zone as such and have all the disruption loaded entirety onto one side of the defence.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:08 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:

White RB, Senderos CB

The first issue I'd have with moving Mr. Reservoir Dog across to right back Big Tone, is that it would effectively be no more than a coin toss and calling heads or tails as to whether we'd get a performance equivalent to a Liebfraumilch, or that of a Bollinger '68.

The second is that in then bringing in Holding to deputise for White at the heart of the defence equates to us opting to play with a double handicap instead of just the one, ergo, voluntarily reducing our established back four set-up from 75% capacity to 50%. Without wanting to over egg the pudding, I'd rather have 3 players who've had the defensive functionality locked down this season now carry one new component, than just 2 who are in their comfort zone as such and have all the disruption loaded entirety onto one side of the defence.

Yeah. And our offense suffers as well. I can't give any stats, but I'm quite sure we are less effective in our attack when Tomiyasu and White are not on their position.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:19 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:

White RB, Senderos CB

I agree with this.
There may even be an argument to play 3 at the back and WBs - in which case Saka can do a job wide with maybe Pepe getting minutes further forward.
Depends on the opposition whilst Tomi is out - but the next game against Wolves... they do not score many goals. They defend VERY well, however, so trying to break them down with reduced FB threat on the right seems unwise.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:55 pm

Meant Holding not Senderos btw
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:47 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:Meant Holding not Senderos btw

I thought you were just being sarcastic.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:22 am

Tomi is back in training.
Good news
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:58 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zenith » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:15 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:19 pm

Don’t really seem to have missed him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Goonerred » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:55 am

Salibatelli wrote:Don’t really seem to have missed him.

I'd prefer to have him back for further options.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:58 am

We don’t look as solid without him.. not close.
Wolves did actually create a few chances last night. It was not one of our better defensive performances.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:18 pm

What's wrong with him?

Was on the bench recently but disappears again.

Our medical staff doing the usual?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:14 pm

Need him back for Liverpool, Utd and West Ham games.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:59 am

Reiss wrote:What's happened to this guy? He hasn't played in what seems a lifetime ago.

Have they told us what the injury is?

Injuries to both calves.
Not sure on the specifics but Arteta updated that they do not want to rush him back and risk re-injury.
He's training I believe but it is looking more and more like he won't play much of a part in the in run in.
It's been a blow to us for sure.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk