Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:46 pm

Could have loaned him to Marseille but they just signed Alexis on a free lol
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:49 am

Last season he should've gotten more game time for sure, I do understand the criticisms of him not doing enough, he is frustrating, seemingly beating players for fun, sometimes 2 and 3 at a time - very few players in the world can do that - but then delivering a weak shot or overdoing the tricks and turns and ending up with nothing.

But for me this is where the coaches should be earning their corn, if they (coaches) managed to turn Sterling into a goal machine how have they (coaches) managed to take Pepe backwards instead of forwards, when he has abilities Sterling can only dream of having !!! But as we are all aware Arteta just micro manages and is a chequebook manager, can't coach for shit by the looks of things.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby CaptGooner » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:47 pm

theHotHead wrote:But as we are all aware Arteta just micro manages and is a chequebook manager, can't coach for shit by the looks of things.

Ah yes it’s all down to Arteta’s coaching on why Pepe is struggling. That’s why so many clubs are in for him as they know if they can just coach him up he’ll be world class!
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:19 pm

CaptGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:But as we are all aware Arteta just micro manages and is a chequebook manager, can't coach for shit by the looks of things.

Ah yes it’s all down to Arteta’s coaching on why Pepe is struggling. That’s why so many clubs are in for him as they know if they can just coach him up he’ll be world class!

His £140k pw contract is what's keeping clubs from bidding for him. That is not on Arteta.

However, Arteta has a track record of paying players off to get them out of the club with a £0 transfer fee. Ozil, Auba, Willian, Chambers, Kolasinac.

Pepe got 5 starts last season. Why is he still here?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:50 pm

CaptGooner wrote:

So why else is he struggling ? He has bags of ability, proved it before he came to England, proved it at AFCON, has showed it at times in England. Tell me why Arteta has struggled to implement an offensive game at Arsenal ! Tell me why every one of our offensive players have struggled under Arteta !!

Lacazette
Aubameyang
Martinelli
Saka (in phases)
Pepe
Nketiah

Every single player has been below par under Arteta, isn't it obvious where the problem lies ???? You can continue to stick your head in the sand and not acknowledge the bleedin obvious !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby CaptGooner » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:07 pm

theHotHead wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:

So why else is he struggling ? He has bags of ability, proved it before he came to England, proved it at AFCON, has showed it at times in England. Tell me why Arteta has struggled to implement an offensive game at Arsenal ! Tell me why every one of our offensive players have struggled under Arteta !!

Lacazette
Aubameyang
Martinelli
Saka (in phases)
Pepe
Nketiah

Every single player has been below par under Arteta, isn't it obvious where the problem lies ???? You can continue to stick your head in the sand and not acknowledge the bleedin obvious !

Pepe never lit it up before or after Arteta. Sure, he can score the odd goal with some skill but he goes missing/makes errors more times than not. Wasn’t a good portion of his goals scored penalties before we even brought him in? Not all signings pan out, just find it odd to solely blame Arteta.

As far as offense, yes, I would love for us to go back to being flat track bullies but I also don’t miss getting hammered by Chelsea/United. I think Arteta’s system has taken awhile to implement but I do think we will see some improvement this year.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ag6789 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:29 pm

To move a player there has to be a demand, a price to be agreed upon and also his consent for the move. Looks like Pepe has little demand in the market and as per
the media reports and Pepe is willing to fight for his place the team. It's a long season and with our injury record he'll get plenty of chances especially in lesser competitions and prove his worth again. He has proven to be a handful against lesser opposition so don't see any issues with him as a bench player. He can excel in early EU games, Carabo cup and against early FA opponents.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:33 pm

CaptGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:

Lacazette
Aubameyang
Martinelli
Saka (in phases)
Pepe
Nketiah

Pepe never lit it up before or after Arteta. Sure, he can score the odd goal with some skill but he goes missing/makes errors more times than not. Wasn’t a good portion of his goals scored penalties before we even brought him in? Not all signings pan out, just find it odd to solely blame Arteta.

As far as offense, yes, I would love for us to go back to being flat track bullies but I also don’t miss getting hammered by Chelsea/United. I think Arteta’s system has taken awhile to implement but I do think we will see some improvement this year.

11 of his 47 goals were penalties
23 percent
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:59 pm

CaptGooner wrote:Pepe never lit it up before or after Arteta. Sure, he can score the odd goal with some skill but he goes missing/makes errors more times than not. Wasn’t a good portion of his goals scored penalties before we even brought him in? Not all signings pan out, just find it odd to solely blame Arteta.

8 goals, 10 assists in his debut season for us (all comps), the season Emery got sacked. Thats not a bad return at all.16 goals and 5 assists in all comps in his next season, Arteta's first full season, again thats a very decent return. In the bit-part he played last season, 3 goals and 6 assists in all comps.

His numbers are not a problem as they are and they would be even higher if he played more.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:05 pm

ag6789 wrote: He has proven to be a handful against lesser opposition so don't see any issues with him as a bench player. He can excel in early EU games, Carabo cup and against early FA opponents.

a squaddie

highly paid one unfortunately
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:57 pm

We missed on a top 4 position by 3 points. The 'All or Nothing' series reminded me of how Nketiah and Pepe came off the bench to win us the game against Wolves when we were losing and struggling to score goals. Eddie eventually got some starts in the team despite looking terrible in previous games, he found some form toward the end of the season.

Pepe never started a game even after that pivotal goal and assist vs Wolves. Fair enough if other players were on form but they were struggling badly as well. There is no way should have lost to Palace, Brighton, Southampton and Newcastle in that last 10-14 game stretch.

In that 14 game stretch from the Wolves game to the end of the season.. ..
Saka - 4 goals
Martinelli - 2 goals
ESR - 1 goal

We really need more goals towards the end from our wide options. Heck, 1 win would have wrapped up 4th place.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:23 pm

Exactly, how anyone can make an argument against Pepe based on how we struggled for goals last season is a mystery, he was and still is our best option off the bench and to start some games
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby CaptGooner » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:59 pm

theHotHead wrote:Exactly, how anyone can make an argument against Pepe based on how we struggled for goals last season is a mystery, he was and still is our best option off the bench and to start some games

Who would you have him replace?
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby TedLasso » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:36 pm

theHotHead wrote:Exactly, how anyone can make an argument against Pepe based on how we struggled for goals last season is a mystery, he was and still is our best option off the bench and to start some games

Disagree, thats Smith Rowe imo
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:55 pm

TedLasso wrote:

Disagree, thats Smith Rowe imo

ESR played last season and we were garbage creatively and finishing product
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to World Football