Formations, Tactics, Analysis, and Statistics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Tactics, Formations, Analysis, and Statistics

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:58 pm

Pre-season is telling us all we need to know ...........

We're going to be playing the same 4-2-3-1 as last year.

This is why the 1 CF at the front is so important, if its not played right the CF if not physically dominant enough will be marked out the game in the box, or in Jesus's case, I'm hoping he really kicks on as making that CF role into a false no9 so the CB's can't mark him as he'll be all over the shop dragging the CB's out of position while he hovers around the edges of the box rather than in it.

Henry was the master at it, he essentially took the CB's out of the game or at the least out of position.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:21 pm

"making that CF role into a false no9 so the CB's can't mark him as he'll be all over the shop dragging the CB's out of position while he hovers around the edges of the box rather than in it."

usually i stay away from the tactics discussions as i feel i've still so much to learn...

however my observations have been that all the forwards are gonna have license to flow into the box... as well as odegarrd and smith rowe... and jesus will be doing as stated above... MA talked about how Jesus creates havoc...

and let slip the dogs of war!

barnstorm their area with crisp passing and players with good technique who can finish....
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TedLasso » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:43 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Pre-season is telling us all we need to know ...........

We're going to be playing the same 4-2-3-1 as last year.

This is why the 1 CF at the front is so important, if its not played right the CF if not physically dominant enough will be marked out the game in the box, or in Jesus's case, I'm hoping he really kicks on as making that CF role into a false no9 so the CB's can't mark him as he'll be all over the shop dragging the CB's out of position while he hovers around the edges of the box rather than in it.

Henry was the master at it, he essentially took the CB's out of the game or at the least out of position.

I think the crux of Arteta's plan is fluidity. He wants a 4-3-3 system that can morph into a 3-4-3 or a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-5-2. That's the key of Zinchenko and White, two guys that can play in a variety of ways. White can play RB and RCB in a back 3 while Zinchenko can play LB or LWB or LCM. That fluidity allows us to adapt to any opposition and tactical change in-game. Too often last season, Arteta had one plan and then the game completely changed but he had no options on the bench to adapt. Now he does.

Totally agree with your point on Jesus.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:38 pm

came across this guy in the last couple weeks...

thought i'd share it... what do you all think of his analysis? it's interesting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmeJ3G ... el=TifoIRL
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:12 pm

'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmeJ3GHrzc&ab_channel=TifoIRL' Really interesting take on the Seville game.
The advantage of having technical players all over the pitch.
Against a tough team like Crystal Palace, the midfield of course has to remain tighter and bit more grounded. Won't have freedom like today. But having many technical players will disrupt CPs rhythm, albeit with harder workload.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:54 pm

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:02 pm

We'll be caught out at the back
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:20 pm

Players sold or on loan so far: Douzi, Movapranos, Leno, Tavares, Okonkwo( GK), Balogan ( possibly, to Rheims).
First team players left: GK: Ramsdale, Turner, Karl Hein.
Defenders: Tomi ( injured) Bellerin, Cedric, White, Saliba, Holding, Gabriel M, Zinchenko, Tierney( injured) Mari
Midfield: Partey, Elneny, Odegaard, Vieira ( injured), Xhakha, AMN, Torreira, Lokonga
Attacking players: ESR( injured) Saka, Jesus, Nktiah, Marinelli, Marquinhos, Nelson.
I can find 28 players to choose the final 25 from. With our dismal injury record, it doesn't look sufficient, and there's still a bit of question mark over Partey. Also, Mari, Torreira, Bellerin, AMN are considered outsiders ( candidates for loan or to be sold). Then we're actually short squad wise ( 4 competitions this season). There has to be more transfer activity left for the month of August.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby alexafc12 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:59 pm

My worry is we still can't sustain pressure for more than 30 minutes. Arteta mentioned it during his first few months in charge after we beat United. 3 years on and we're the same.

We come out with a high press and lots of energy. Then we drop off after 30 / 35 minutes and have to rely on counter attacks.

Something that needs to be addressed. How were our energy levels lower today than Palace side that's hardly had a pre-season ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:19 pm

Would love to see ESR and Vieira taking the place of Xhaka and Odegaard. More aggressive attack and fire power from midfield.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:34 pm

But, Odegaard keeps the ball better , especially , than ESR.
I don't think we can have a setup w/o Odegaard. It'll be either Vieira or ESR.
Maybe Vieira ( if he succeeds) will compliment Odegaard, and we'll be lethal.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:52 pm

ag6789 wrote:But, Odegaard keeps the ball better , especially , than ESR.
I don't think we can have a setup w/o Odegaard. It'll be either Vieira or ESR.
Maybe Vieira ( if he succeeds) will compliment Odegaard, and we'll be lethal.

I'm not a fan of Odegaard. Not enough of threat going forward and when Palace put the pressure on he wasn't helping. The midfield went missing. Xhaka the best of the three and that shouldn't be the case.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:53 pm

I'm over the CAM position.

We should play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 and bring Ode into the mid 3 to help us dominate midfield.

He can distribute from there and he's got good ball retention.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Rastayouth » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 am

Am I in the minority in seeing little issue with the game tactics and formation yesterday? Player mentality looks to be a big issue. Get a psychologist in or something as these youngsters easily lose focus.
Scored the second after we finally calmed down, strung some passes together and hit them on the transition. Subsequently we regained composure and remembered to press.
Rastayouth
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:06 am

Rastayouth wrote:Am I in the minority in seeing little issue with the game tactics and formation yesterday? Player mentality looks to be a big issue. Get a psychologist in or something as these youngsters easily lose focus.
Scored the second after we finally calmed down, strung some passes together and hit them on the transition. Subsequently we regained composure and remembered to press.

In hindsight, a different formation may have helped us out yesterday.

Considering our start to the game, though, I think poor in game management by Arteta wrt the players playing in the center midfield area of the pitch was more so our problem yesterday. If it’s not one player that’s the problem in this area then it’s someone else. Surprisingly the player of the day yesterday was Odegaard and not Xhaka. We need more consistency in this area of the pitch so we’re not losing control for large portions of the game. Arteta should have noticed this and found a way to strengthen the middle just like how Vieira reacted to our start to the game
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk