Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Jesus

Postby FrustratedGooner » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:49 am

I was hoping for some cringe video Eddie phoning Gabriel or something.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: Why Gabriel Jesus is the perfect fit for Arsenal

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:49 am

You said in the video "Versatile striker".

Which is correct, but is he equipped to be the lone CF box target man, Arteta needs in his 4-2-3-1?

How is Jesus on headers and crosses? he's listed as 5'8, how's he going to man handle two Prem CB's on his own in the box?

Saka and Martinelli aren't WF's in Arteta's formation, their position is wingers, so they aren't as close or in the same attacking line as Jesus, so like Auba, he'll be up top alone, crowded out in the box.

........... now, if Arteta changes his formation to a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 for example, that's different, Jesus can operate in a more free role centrally like Firmino does when he's got Salah and Mane either side of him, but if we continue with 4-2-3-1 ....... Jesus will be isolated a lot more.

For the way Arteta set up last season he needed a Vlahovic, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku type, someone with enough size to back into and man handle Prem CB's, enough height to get on the end of crosses etc.

.......... how do you see Jesus handling that lone CF role if Arteta as expected continues with 4-2-3-1?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:55 am

Power n Glory wrote:It's official.

Be interesting to see how he does, I have my theory, but I'll wait to see what role he's being asked to fulfil up front.

However, this signing alone is nowhere near enough to get us our target for the season.

We need at the minimum one more top level signing in attack, I don't think Martinelli and Saka alone are enough to help Jesus get the goals per game we need.

Someone like Raphina or Gnabry would of been good foil.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:18 am

Reiss wrote:Arsenal announce Jesus!

We finally have a proper striker after years of old, ageing or underperforming strikers.

One of the top strikers in the world has decided to join Arteta's project :hail:

Excited :arse flag.gif:

From Man City back-up to "top strikers in the world" let's hope your prediction comes true.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Official: Gabriel Jesus joins Arsenal

Postby Zenith » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:51 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Ach » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:59 pm

Hopefully he loves Europa nights and fires us to the trophy

And get Ronaldo to coach him
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:19 pm

2nd tier striker IMO, can’t say I find this signing exciting since I’ve never rated him.

I agree it’s probably the best we can get because we’re no longer eating at the top table and won’t be for a long time.

Hopefully he’ll score a few goals.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:21 pm

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-gives-insight-jesus-qualities
When reflecting on what Arsenal have recruited, he said: “I think it’s a package. Start with his character, the person, the smile and what he represents as a human being. Then he’s an incredible professional, with his work ethic and enthusiasm. You will see it the first day he puts on his boots and enters the training pitch; he has the enthusiasm that he is going to create on his own on that pitch.

“And then obviously there are his qualities, his anger to score, his willingness to be coached, to improve. He is used to winning and he knows that winning is the only way to do it. I think he will set different standards at the club.”

Sounds a little passive aggressive at the end but OK. Sounds like the right sort of character.

As well as plenty of pedigree, Jesus’ ability to play as a centre-forward, false nine or on either side of a front three was something else that attracted him to Arteta, and that versatility is something that the Spaniard admits he is excited to exploit as he aims to add an extra dimension to his attack.

“We have a very, very dynamic team up front. We have three or four players who can play in various positions, and play with each other in different positions. We want to be unpredictable, but at the same time we want to be specific in certain areas, to achieve certain qualities that we didn’t have in the squad, and with Gabi I think we are doing both of those at the same time.”

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:47 pm

So I'll just state the obvious.

At 5'8 approx he's not suited to be a target CF .........while Nketiah is 5'11.

Again that issue can be solved if Arteta rearranges the formation but if he tries to make Jesus play the lone box role its not going to work and am stating that now.

We tried it with Auba, then Laca who is also around the same height so this is not something that's not already been tested, I just hope Arteta smartens up in this area.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Reiss » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:19 pm

I reckon we should leave the tactics to the qualified football manager. I'm sure he thought about how to integrate Jesus into our tactics before deciding to splash 45m on him.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Ach » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:21 pm

Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby dc16 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:21 pm

dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:24 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:So I'll just state the obvious.

Again that issue can be solved if Arteta rearranges the formation but if he tries to make Jesus play the lone box role its not going to work and am stating that now.

We tried it with Auba, then Laca who is also around the same height so this is not something that's not already been tested, I just hope Arteta smartens up in this area.

I said a while back that he's not looking for a target man as his main CF. It's the false 9 role that's key. To play a 4-3-3 like Liverpool or City, you need a false 9.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:40 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:So I'll just state the obvious.

Totally agree.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Reiss » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:59 pm