2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:32 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Why we need to sling crosses alone with so many mobile forwards? They can interchange and cut in and head in/ tap in low crosses when required. The absence of a tall CF has to be managed the way ManCity, Berca has done for a long time. Even Liverpool forwards aren't tall so they score from ground open play mostly.
If your speed of movement increases around the box, gaps will automatically open up.
Our problem has been slow buildup by a mediocre midfield which becomes clueless in front of massed defense.

The crossing needs to change. It's been 2 seasons now with Tierney and Martinelli (usually) playing aerial crosses that no one but the defenders can get to.

Assuming GJ plays CF, that's not going to change, as he's short. I pray we try to do more through the middle this season.

Its not an assumption anymore its stone cold, he wouldn't of been given the n09 shirt otherwise.

Also I do think if he can't play the role .......... In steps Nketiah as the no1 through the middle and Jesus goes wide.

A lot of this can be solved if Arteta changes formation though.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:05 pm

Jesus has to play as CF, he prefers to play on the wing but Nketiah just isn’t good enough.

At best he’s a 3rd striker, but he’ll be number 2 for us even though he has zero impact as a sub.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:10 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:So last season we had Auba and Laca, this season looks like just being Jesus, net loss of one forward. Perhaps Arteta isn't good at Maths??

I think he was sent here just to piss us off !

Nketiah has been promoted and Balogun will take his place as 3rd option.

Jesus, Nketiah, Balogun

Auba, Lacazette, Nketiah

.......... have we even really strengthend considering Auba is the best finisher of the bunch?

The fact that Nketiah and Jesus are completely different forwards as well tells me we just went for what talent we could land.

......... we need another 2-3 top tier players arriving because all the good ones we're being linked to seem on their way to our rivals ffs.

Window started off looking good but now we're in the pit now, need to pull off a couple more decent signings at least.

People were getting overly excited about players before we’d signed them, we should know by now that this happens all the time at this club, we apparently chase players for a while only to miss out, never get excited until the player is wearing the shirt.

I agree that our window isn’t looking too clever right now, just one first team player and two players no one has ever heard of who won’t are backups.

Yes we got made a low bid for Raphinha but we had no chance of getting him for that and talk was that he was earmarked for Barcelona anyway.

I don’t think we needed him but if we seriously wanted him we should have offered what they wanted and got the deal tied up quickly, that’s how big clubs operate and it stops other clubs stealing a March and signing them from under our noses.

I agree we need some quality signings now, I’d say maybe 3, Edu was taking about excitement (much like Josh Kroenke did a few years back), maybe he should have kept his thoughts to himself before he’d completed the big deals.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:27 pm

The way the Vieira deal came out of nowhere I'm hopeful we have a few more ticks up our sleeve.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby TedLasso » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:53 pm

Assuming Jesus is playing at 9, I’d like to see them go after Charles de Ketelaare. His metrics are fantastic for the Belgian league, already getting run in the Belgian national team. 6-4, fast, and decent in the air at just 20. Would be bring a different dynamic to the front line that’s currently missing.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:33 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:The way the Vieira deal came out of nowhere I'm hopeful we have a few more ticks up our sleeve.

We're going to need them.

With the signings our competitors have made / making if we want top 4 then Jesus as CF is not enough, again, there is nothing I've seen to suggest he'd be better in the lone role than Auba was.

Nketiah is the only player we have who know's how to play the box role and again, he is not supposed to be our no1.

We definitely need at least one more top tier attacking player, don't care if its a CF or a WF, just someone who is dangerous and can score ......... whatever we end up with, the rest can be resolved with playing the correct formation to suit the talent we have.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:56 pm

Bit worried Vieira is gonna be the CM signing after all, would be nice if he was a luxury CAM rotation signing (he may well feature there too) but I think he's a bit lightweight to be our only CM addition.

Would like a backup for Partey or better yet an established partner for Thomas who makes the likes of Vieira, Xhaka and Lokonga earn their place. Then a left back (Martinez will do even if he's a cb by trade) and either another CF or WF.

In that order of priority for me, our midfield has been neglected for too long.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby 22-0 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:38 am

swipe right wrote:
22-0 wrote:impossible to get top 4 without good squad depth now

Go check out our 2013-14 squad. We finished fourth.

keyword now. not almost a decade ago.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Reiss » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:03 am

Santi wrote:Bit worried Vieira is gonna be the CM signing after all, would be nice if he was a luxury CAM rotation signing (he may well feature there too) but I think he's a bit lightweight to be our only CM addition.

Would like a backup for Partey or better yet an established partner for Thomas who makes the likes of Vieira, Xhaka and Lokonga earn their place. Then a left back (Martinez will do even if he's a cb by trade) and either another CF or WF.

In that order of priority for me, our midfield has been neglected for too long.

Yeah I'm more worried about CM than Rafinha or anyone else (bar Jesus but that's a done deal).

We need a proper CM like Tielemans.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:50 am

All the positive vibes have flown out the window this week lol Same old Arsenal.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:52 am

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:All the positive vibes have flown out the window this week lol Same old Arsenal.

Yeah the "Offer cut price fees upping them incrementally" while other clubs jump on board the bidding and walk away with the player is very Wengeresque.

I'm surprised we don't go back in for an offer for Raphina and beat it by £1.00. :rolleyes:

Its just embarrassing sometimes.

However we have the whole window to go, as long as we get some more good players that's all that matters so we'll have to wait and see.

What we desperately need is another potent attacker, Jesus alone is not an improvement on what we had a year ago.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:55 am

Im still a bit pissed at the Vieira transfer. This type of player is not a priority and yet he is the first one in and at a heavy price too. Ive said it before and i will keep saying it......if we go into next season with Xhaka as starting midfield with the only other options being Lokonga and Elneny then i give up.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:21 pm

ag6789 wrote:Why we need to sling crosses alone with so many mobile forwards? They can interchange and cut in and head in/ tap in low crosses when required. The absence of a tall CF has to be managed the way ManCity, Berca has done for a long time. Even Liverpool forwards aren't tall so they score from ground open play mostly.
If your speed of movement increases around the box, gaps will automatically open up.
Our problem has been slow buildup by a mediocre midfield which becomes clueless in front of massed defense.

Our crosses are not intelligent, they are dumb crosses to either nobody or to forwards that have no chance of winning headers against Premier League defences.

With the small technical strikers we have we need interplay and balls along the ground, cut backs from the by-line. But that's NOT the crosses we have been providing.

How can you provide a low cross to someone in the middle or back post? The first defender will cut it out
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:32 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:Im still a bit pissed at the Vieira transfer. This type of player is not a priority and yet he is the first one in and at a heavy price too. Ive said it before and i will keep saying it......if we go into next season with Xhaka as starting midfield with the only other options being Lokonga and Elneny then i give up.

Yes a very odd transfer, 34 million for a player in a position that wasn’t a priority, who was also only a backup at Porto.

Way too much money to spend when there’s other priorities IMO.

We did the same last summer mind you, including massively overpaying for a CB.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:32 pm

Its all gone very quiet on the links. Nothing for Tielemans, Martinez looks far too expensive for his role here, Raphina is dead, nothing on Gnabry.

Think we might be done. Unless we offload some of the pubbers. AMN, Pepe, Bellerin, Torreira etc
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk