2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby swipe right » Tue May 24, 2022 11:31 am

According to Metro, we are promoting Patino, Azeez and Hutchinson. Which is great. They are talented and deserve their chance. And we are looking to buy two strikers, a full back and a keeper. That would make sense.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Tue May 24, 2022 11:51 am

theHotHead wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:This is a good debate
It makes all logical sense for it to be harder to score, or more to the point, be seen as one of the world elite in the Prem, because the average quality is so much higher. There's more money and competition in the Prem, so it's harder to stand out.
Messi, Ronaldo, Benzima, Mbappe etc. Are obviously going to find it easier to score and look amazing, when the team they play for is so much higher standard than the teams around them. Most teams in France, Spain, Italy, wouldn't compete with Championship teams, let alone Premier league teams.
If United were in the Championship last season, Ronaldo would have bagged 30 goals.

Lets address the comment that Championship teams would beat most teams in the other top leagues, no idea where that assertion comes from but its one that is bandied about. How can we prove or disprove it ? The best way I can think of is to look at the Europa League, typically teams outside the top 4 from major leagues are in it.

Since it's inception in 1999:
Spain - 11 time winners
Italy - 1 time winner
UK - 4 time winners
Germany - 1 time winner
France - 0 wins

Teams that won not recognised as top 4 clubs from those leagues:
Eintract Frankfurt, Villareal, Sevilla (6 times), Valencia, Parma.

Where are the English teams if they are so much stronger than in other leagues ?! If someone knows of a better way of comparing the leagues I am open to hear.

Listen to Pep, Klopp and Conte, all three this year have said the EPL is BY FAR the best league, and BY FAR the hardest to win .... not because they have better teams at the top but because there are almost no easy games, unlike every other league in Europe. You have to play a strong eleven every game, not rest half the side as PSG, Bayern, Barca, RM all regularly do .... that's just their opinion of course not sure how you prove it.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Tue May 24, 2022 11:52 am

Also, Sun says we're trying to offload the likes of Bellerin, AMN, Torreira , Leno and raise about 60 mil. 12.5 mil already in coffers from the sale of Douzi and Movapranos.
Then spend around 150mil for the incomings.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 24, 2022 11:59 am

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
It makes all logical sense for it to be harder to score, or more to the point, be seen as one of the world elite in the Prem, because the average quality is so much higher. There's more money and competition in the Prem, so it's harder to stand out.
Messi, Ronaldo, Benzima, Mbappe etc. Are obviously going to find it easier to score and look amazing, when the team they play for is so much higher standard than the teams around them. Most teams in France, Spain, Italy, wouldn't compete with Championship teams, let alone Premier league teams.
If United were in the Championship last season, Ronaldo would have bagged 30 goals.

Lets address the comment that Championship teams would beat most teams in the other top leagues, no idea where that assertion comes from but its one that is bandied about. How can we prove or disprove it ? The best way I can think of is to look at the Europa League, typically teams outside the top 4 from major leagues are in it.

Spain - 11 time winners
Italy - 1 time winner
UK - 4 time winners
Germany - 1 time winner
France - 0 wins

Where are the English teams if they are so much stronger than in other leagues ?! If someone knows of a better way of comparing the leagues I am open to hear.

Listen to Pep, Klopp and Conte, all three this year have said the EPL is BY FAR the best league, and BY FAR the hardest to win .... not because they have better teams at the top but because there are almost no easy games, unlike every other league in Europe. You have to play a strong eleven every game, not rest half the side as PSG, Bayern, Barca, RM all regularly do .... that's just their opinion of course not sure how you prove it.

I don't doubt that its the best league in the world with greater strength in depth. My point solely relates to the comment that away from your top 4 and top 6 teams in other leagues, those teams wouldn't be a match even for our Championship sides. I think thats hogwash. Those teams might not be able to give as good a fight to the top tier teams in their league but that doesn't mean they wouldn't wipe the floor with Championship teams !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue May 24, 2022 12:19 pm

ag6789 wrote:Also, Sun says we're trying to offload the likes of Bellerin, AMN, Torreira , Leno and raise about 60 mil. 12.5 mil already in coffers from the sale of Douzi and Movapranos.

No way we get 60 mil for that lot. Everyone knows we want them gone and will take anything we get. Would be lucky to get half that quoted number.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue May 24, 2022 3:51 pm

ag6789 wrote:Also, Sun says we're trying to offload the likes of Bellerin, AMN, Torreira , Leno and raise about 60 mil. 12.5 mil already in coffers from the sale of Douzi and Movapranos.

We will be lucky to get £25m for that lot, let alone £60m.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Tue May 24, 2022 4:02 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

Bellerin is worth a bit. His demands for a limitless supply of hairspray and a personal barber might be a stumbling block
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Hypergooner » Tue May 24, 2022 5:32 pm

theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Spain - 11 time winners
Italy - 1 time winner
UK - 4 time winners
Germany - 1 time winner
France - 0 wins

I don't doubt that its the best league in the world with greater strength in depth. My point solely relates to the comment that away from your top 4 and top 6 teams in other leagues, those teams wouldn't be a match even for our Championship sides. I think thats hogwash. Those teams might not be able to give as good a fight to the top tier teams in their league but that doesn't mean they wouldn't wipe the floor with Championship teams !

There are lots of reasons for European teams doing better than English teams in Europe. A huge one being the Christmas break, another as mentioned, the ability to rest top players against easy teams.
You must be able to see how far a head PSG are, compared to the rest of France. This means more goals for their strikers. Spain and Italy are a bit more competitive but still make it easier for a top player to look like a worldy. Abrahams wouldn't bag 17 league goals in his first half season in a new country, if he was coming from Italy to the prem.

Back to my original point. It is easier to stand out in the other leagues, when the average competition is lower. In my opinion, the best players in the world are the ones that can prove it, week in week out in the biggest and best league in the world, the Premier League!
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Tue May 24, 2022 6:26 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

We'll probably end up paying someone to take them off our hands. We didn't even get a transfer fee for Calum Chambers. Unbelievable.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby alexafc12 » Tue May 24, 2022 6:30 pm

I can't see us getting more than £10m for any of those players, so £40m in total.

Can only hope Newcastle come in for them
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Hypergooner » Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 pm

alexafc12 wrote:I can't see us getting more than £10m for any of those players, so £40m in total.

Can only hope Newcastle come in for them

Crazy how our players are never worth anything! The players going out are quality players. When Burnley pay £12m for some lankey Dutch bloke nobody has heard of, we should be able to get £25m for a quality DM like Torreira or £15m for an English RB/CB like Chambers
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Tue May 24, 2022 10:12 pm

For you guys that watch lower league football, who is worth a gamble
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zenith » Tue May 24, 2022 11:32 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 25, 2022 9:54 am

Hypergooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Spain - 11 time winners
Italy - 1 time winner
UK - 4 time winners
Germany - 1 time winner
France - 0 wins

There are lots of reasons for European teams doing better than English teams in Europe. A huge one being the Christmas break, another as mentioned, the ability to rest top players against easy teams.
You must be able to see how far a head PSG are, compared to the rest of France. This means more goals for their strikers. Spain and Italy are a bit more competitive but still make it easier for a top player to look like a worldy. Abrahams wouldn't bag 17 league goals in his first half season in a new country, if he was coming from Italy to the prem.

Back to my original point. It is easier to stand out in the other leagues, when the average competition is lower. In my opinion, the best players in the world are the ones that can prove it, week in week out in the biggest and best league in the world, the Premier League!

I hear your point but I just don't agree with it. I can make the same argument for Man City and Liverpool being so far ahead of the other teams hence why they score so many more goals. And if you look at the number of goals they (PSG) score relative to the 4th, 10th, 15th and 20th placed teams in Ligue 1, they are pretty much aligned with the Prem and La Liga and Serie A. So that argument is not backed up by the numbers

Strikers from Italy don't tend to come to the UK, examples of strikers moving from Spain to England have not proved they found it more difficult to score goals here. You have bundled in acclimatising to the pace and power of the Prem with it being more difficult to score, you need to separate the 2. You mention Tammy Abraham, Abraham moved from a faster more physical league, thats an easier step to make than the other direction. Lets not forget, in his first season a Chelsea he scored 15 league goals - he scored 17 in his first season in Serie A. Same same .. like I said.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Wed May 25, 2022 10:04 am

VCC wrote:For you guys that watch lower league football, who is worth a gamble

We were supposed to be looking at Djed Spence the Forest right back that played so well in the Cup against us. Not sure what happed there?
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk