Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 23, 2022 12:38 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Reiss wrote:We've had half our defence decimated for most of the season that's why we've conceded more goals than last season. So it puts to bed that argument.

If our manager was too stupid/naive/inexperienced to plan for injuries/absences then thats his problem and cannot be used as an excuse.

So NO - that doesn't put to bed the argument, it reinforces the point that Arteta was solely at fault for not planning correctly and/or for making bad decisions.

If you have two first choice full backs constantly injured what can you do? You can't expect their back-ups to be first class. No PL: side has that.

And in the case of the centre halves - we've had times when three out of the four we have have been injured or banned. How many centre halves should a club have?

We know that Tierney is injury prone, Partey doesn't seem to fat behind, could have got better back up in what we had. At the very least we could have kept Chambers and AMN in January, that for me was always going to come back and bite us in the Arsenal.

Almost every Arsenal fan I know has been saying for years that those two players are not good enough. Yes in an ideal world they might have been replaced by better players straight away but sometimes that's not possible.

They are not good enough to start, they would've been better than a slap in the face in January though ! Even you don't believe the weak argument you are making Phil.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 12:39 pm

UFGN wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Reiss wrote:We've had half our defence decimated for most of the season that's why we've conceded more goals than last season. So it puts to bed that argument.

If our manager was too stupid/naive/inexperienced to plan for injuries/absences then thats his problem and cannot be used as an excuse.

So NO - that doesn't put to bed the argument, it reinforces the point that Arteta was solely at fault for not planning correctly and/or for making bad decisions.

It really shouldn't need explaining

Can't argue with that tbh. Injuries always happen. That's what squad depth is for.

But I don't think you can compare Unai's final season and this one. We've gone for a youth led approach & have largely turned over the entire squad in doing so.

What would have been interesting though is if the board would have backed Unai in the market as they have Arteta. I feel Unai had to try at all costs for immediate success and was somewhat handicapped at having Raul dictate what we did in the market. Arteta has been given much more freedom and say over transfers.

Arteta has to be on a tightrope now though. If he's backed in the summer and we spend another £100m he has to get CL or bust. That probably means getting rid in what, November / December time if we're not on track.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Mon May 23, 2022 12:45 pm

In addition to the above, Lakonga and Tevares are barely good enough to be playing top six football. Brighton have better players in their positions.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Mon May 23, 2022 1:14 pm

UFGN wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

It really shouldn't need explaining

It's not as if this is 20/20 hindsight either. Most were vocal about the small squad in January.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Mon May 23, 2022 1:47 pm

UFGN wrote:In addition to the above, Lakonga and Tevares are barely good enough to be playing top six football. Brighton have better players in their positions.

They’re not even premier league level let alone top six.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Mon May 23, 2022 1:54 pm

They were all fit except for Tomiyasu for most of the season. I don’t count because Tierney is always injured, we knew that before the season started, that’s why we signed Tavares.

Hardly most of the defence.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Mon May 23, 2022 2:21 pm

During the run in ( last 5-6 games) there was a defensive crisis. White was injured, Tomi has just come back after a long layover and of course Tierney the main LB has been injured for a while. So it becomes difficult to set up the defense against tough opponents w/ second string players.
That the defense has played well when mostly fit shows from the 22 wins we have in PL. Since this a season for rebuild and changes so all positions haven't been sorted out.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Rockape » Mon May 23, 2022 2:27 pm

I'm not sure of the reasons, but I felt at the time that letting Chambers go was a big mistake. I know people knock him, but he's produced some heroic performances for us when brought in and always a versetile and willing player.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 23, 2022 2:31 pm

Rockape - He is better than Soares !!! Soares is an Andre Santos level player.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon May 23, 2022 2:46 pm

theHotHead wrote:Rockape - He is better than Soares !!! Soares is an Andre Santos level player.

That is the worst thing you can say about a footballer. It's just a nasty, vicious thing to say. :naughty:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby ag6789 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:04 pm

I thought Cedric was at the same level as Bellerin from recent times. Decent against less pressing teams, vulnerable against high press and fast powerful wingers. So , we can say upgrade w/ Tomi as 1st choice RB , same level w/ Bellerin w/ 2nd choice RB.
First choice injuries are going to hurt any team as we saw w/ 'pool with VVD and Matip out for most of last season.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:16 pm

Rockape wrote:I'm not sure of the reasons, but I felt at the time that letting Chambers go was a big mistake. I know people knock him, but he's produced some heroic performances for us when brought in and always a versetile and willing player.

Ludicrous decision. He's better in every single sense of the word:

- Homegrown
- Can Play RB / CB / DM
- 4 years younger

I could have understood if we used the sale to raise funds. But selling him for £2m because Edu reportedly forgot to trigger the extension clause in December is just ridiculous.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Mon May 23, 2022 3:19 pm

Rockape wrote:I'm not sure of the reasons, but I felt at the time that letting Chambers go was a big mistake. I know people knock him, but he's produced some heroic performances for us when brought in and always a versetile and willing player.

Chambers was versatile and could turn in some really good performances but had the odd poor game too. He preferred playing as CB and that's where they play him at Villa.

Personally, I think we made a mistake with AMN. As a LB or RB he was really good. I'd also take him as CM over Lokonga. But when you're approaching your mid 20s and still can't break into the first team, you get desperate. We have a crop of former Arsenal youth that just aren't up to standard. But we should have never have left ourselves so short this season.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:42 pm

Forget about AMN, Bellerin, Chambers etc. They had their extended runs under three managers and either are a spent force or aren't good enough to secure a place for themselves. They aren't even lightning it up elsewhere. They are the past. We need a top class CM and go forward w/ Lokonga, Xhakha( the less time he sees on pitch the better), Partey and Odegaard.
Besides we have Patino and Azeez in coming. So, we should be well stacked.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Mon May 23, 2022 4:22 pm

ag6789 wrote:Forget about AMN, Bellerin, Chambers etc. They had their extended runs under three managers and either are a spent force or aren't good enough to secure a place for themselves. They aren't even lightning it up elsewhere. They are the past. We need a top class CM and go forward w/ Lokonga, Xhakha( the less time he sees on pitch the better), Partey and Odegaard.
Besides we have Patino and Azeez in coming. So, we should be well stacked.

But Cedric, Tavares and Lokonga are good enough? That's the issue here. Their mistakes were costly.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk