Lucas Torreira

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Lucas Torreira (on loan - ACF Fiorentina)

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 23, 2022 11:55 am

alexafc12 wrote:We need competition but for starting places not really for backups. There are only 2 spots to contend for if we continue to play with a CAM...

If we'd let Elneny leave I would have understood keeping him. There's also the issue of him not enjoying life in London - probably exacerbated by him not starting games - so I can't see him being content with battling Elneny for a spot on the bench.

Starters:
Partey
New CM

Back Ups.
Xhaka
Elneny
Sambi
Patino

Torreira is not a backup. You could quite easily have Torreira as DM, that relieves Partey to play his more natural game and not have to worry about covering dufuses like Xhaka, and have Odegaard as the main creative midfielder. Perfect platform and allows all 3 to play their natural games fully.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 12:50 pm

If we sign a CM then Torreira isn't going to be a starter for us...

And I'm not sure what he's done to suddenly be considered good enough for a starting place anyway.

People call for players to get the axe when their at the club but then hype them up and lament as soon they leave.

Moaners gonna Moan.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Mon May 23, 2022 12:59 pm

We seem to have a glut of not-really-attacking-midfielders-not-realy-defensive-midfielders of dubious quality.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 23, 2022 1:03 pm

alexafc12 wrote:If we sign a CM then Torreira isn't going to be a starter for us...

And I'm not sure what he's done to suddenly be considered good enough for a starting place anyway.

People call for players to get the axe when their at the club but then hype them up and lament as soon they leave.

Moaners gonna Moan.

Clearly you either didn't watch or didn't remember his first season with us. He was a very good DM, tailed off toward the end of the season but was a good first season which we should've built on.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:17 pm

theHotHead wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:If we sign a CM then Torreira isn't going to be a starter for us...

Moaners gonna Moan.

Clearly you either didn't watch or didn't remember his first season with us. He was a very good DM, tailed off toward the end of the season but was a good first season which we should've built on.

An in large very good season 4 years ago does not somehow warrant him a starting spot now.

Are you suggesting we don't sign a new CM and instead give Torreira the role ? Because he's not getting in the team ahead of Partey and so that's the only way he becomes a starter.

For whatever the reason he's not been able to rediscover his early form - not just with us but with Atletico and back in Italy. There's a reason Fiorentina are not willing to pay £12m for him - they know there is no queue of clubs waiting to sign him and so they're probably going to try and get him even cheaper.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 23, 2022 1:35 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Moaners gonna Moan.

An in large very good season 4 years ago does not somehow warrant him a starting spot now.

Are you suggesting we don't sign a new CM and instead give Torreira the role ? Because he's not getting in the team ahead of Partey and so that's the only way he becomes a starter.

For whatever the reason he's not been able to rediscover his early form - not just with us but with Atletico and back in Italy. There's a reason Fiorentina are not willing to pay £12m for him - they know there is no queue of clubs waiting to sign him and so they're probably going to try and get him even cheaper.

He doesn't need to get in the team ahead of Partey, he will play alongside him.

If the manager can find space for Xhaka - Torreira should be in the starting team, Xhaka is not needed.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:49 pm

theHotHead wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Moaners gonna Moan.

He doesn't need to get in the team ahead of Partey, he will play alongside him.

If the manager can find space for Xhaka - Torreira should be in the starting team, Xhaka is not needed.

So the plan is to bring in another CM (or are you saying we don't ?) and then put Torreira in ahead of him ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 23, 2022 2:35 pm

For this season we didn't have to suffer relying on Xhaka or Elneny (to a lesser extent). Is a new CM a priority ? No. Given we have Partey and Torreira, we don't need another. Arteta doesn't want Guendouzi, fine, Lokonga won't be ready next season so we may need support by way of another signing so we don't have to look at Xhaka's face again.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon May 23, 2022 2:44 pm

theHotHead wrote:For this season we didn't have to suffer relying on Xhaka or Elneny (to a lesser extent). Is a new CM a priority ? No. Given we have Partey and Torreira, we don't need another. Arteta doesn't want Guendouzi, fine, Lokonga won't be ready next season so we may need support by way of another signing so we don't have to look at Xhaka's face again.

I'll bet you 20 internetz that Xhaka makes 25 appearances minimum next season. Whether we like it or not. He is the modern day Denilsen. He's crap but he's playing and that is that
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Est83 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:06 pm

theHotHead wrote:For this season we didn't have to suffer relying on Xhaka or Elneny (to a lesser extent). Is a new CM a priority ? No. Given we have Partey and Torreira, we don't need another. Arteta doesn't want Guendouzi, fine, Lokonga won't be ready next season so we may need support by way of another signing so we don't have to look at Xhaka's face again.

The vacant striker position has everyone talking, but I would argue that our midfield is in more trouble, is the worst we've had in years and is top priority for reinforcements (goes without saying that we need at least A striker of course).

I'd persist with just Eddie and Balogun if it meant bringing some real quality to that shit show of a midfield.

Partey is solid, he has everything in his locker. But we've only seen glimpses of what he's capable of, and that's not just down to his injury record. Ideally he should have to fight for his position next season after we bring in two midfield starters.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pm

I couldn't disagree more. We HAVE to get a new CM in my opinion.

The notion that Torreira can come back and play alongside Partey because he had a good season 4 years ago doesn't sit well with me. That's a very defensive setup too - not sure it helps our lack of creativity issues.

Anyway it's somewhat irrelevant. Torreira left because he wasn't happy in England and wasn't starting games, so I can't see him coming back to the same circumstances.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ag6789 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:27 pm

He could stay on as a back up. But hard to see him as a regular if we want to push up the table. Need a top quality CM like Cazorla or Cesc to challenge the top.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon May 23, 2022 3:38 pm

TedLasso wrote:He was a better fit for Unai’s system so I wonder if Arsenal would be willing to sell to Villareal if Unai wanted to come back for him.

He really wasn't, Emery's job was to give minutes to as many of Sven's signings as possible. By the end of 18/19 he had settled on an CM pairing of Xhaka and Guendouzi, Torreira as backup.

In the second season, with Ozil firmly out of favour and Ramsey and Mhikytaryan gone, he tried Torreira in an attacking mid role but that failed; Joe Willock was better in that role.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon May 23, 2022 3:47 pm

TedLasso wrote:He was a better fit for Unai’s system so I wonder if Arsenal would be willing to sell to Villareal if Unai wanted to come back for him.

Unai didn't have a system. Lol. He was a shocking manager.

I think Torreira would suit any team that looks to press aggressively and despite trying to play that way, we don't really have that sort of player that can close down distances quickly. Partey is good on the defensive side but could really benefit from someone that has a bit more bite next to him. I also think Partey is picking up these injuries because he's having to do too much next Xhaka.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon May 23, 2022 8:16 pm

Torreira didn't like living in England. He's not coming back.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football