2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby VCC » Mon May 23, 2022 3:08 am

Need to unearth the next Henry, Drogba type striker not getting a striker on the way out like Laca or Auba
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Hypergooner » Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 am

swipe right wrote:We are not an attractive option for top talent. We’ll have to find Tomiyasus and Odegards. Not going to be easy.

Madrid and Barca will need another clear out this summer. PSG may have FFP problems. Man United have players that would do well with a proper manager. There will be good players about for us
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Mon May 23, 2022 7:02 am

Hypergooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:We are not an attractive option for top talent. We’ll have to find Tomiyasus and Odegards. Not going to be easy.

Madrid and Barca will need another clear out this summer. PSG may have FFP problems. Man United have players that would do well with a proper manager. There will be good players about for us

That counts us out then
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 23, 2022 7:31 am

Hypergooner wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:I don’t think it has anything to do with thar, it has more to do with being messed about for 3 years and in the meantime playing for a club thar values you and qualified for Europes premier competition.

I can understand why he wouldn’t want to come back, together with the way he’s been treated he can see how others have been as well, that’s never going to make a player rush to come back to us.

In fact a lot of players have no interest in playing for us and would rather go to clubs in the CL with better managers.

I totally understand Saliba’s point of view, he’s not been treated fairly and clearly doesn’t feel valued by Arsenal but does at Marseille.

Generally the very best don’t come to the PL anyway, they only come here if they don’t have a lot of choice and it’s to a money club like City or a club with the history and of the size of Man U.

I don't agree. I'd say the very best do come here (to the prem). The ones that don't only look the best while in weaker leagues. 25 goals in La Liga 35 in France, 30 in Germany is more like 15 in the Prem.
I thought Saliba had some personal reasons he wanted to extend his loan in the first place. Arteta let him stay to get his head right. Now he's playing well and doesn't have to compete for first team football and can play CL, he doesn’t want to come back.
I say ship him off and get a braver man in

Mbappe hasn’t, Ronaldo came before he’d developed and left when reaching his peak, Messi didn’t come, Lewandowski didn’t, Bale left to go toReal when he established himself, so did Bale, the best talents rarely end up in the PL of they’re established as one of the best players around. I’m not saying quality players don’t come, but the very best rarely do when at their peak.

Salah has actually scored more goals per season at Liverpool than he did at Roma, it’s more about what style suits a player than the league. Lukaku scored plenty in England before going to Inter.

I don’t believe that for a second, this started before those alleged personal reasons, he was shipped out after being frozen out for 6 months, not even considered good enough for a squad number to play EL or Caraboa Cup, sounds personal to me.

Now he’s at a club he feels valued, has been called up to the French squad with the World Cup around the corner, why would he want to give it up to play under a man who didn’t give him a chance and has shown that even when he keeps players around it doesn’t mean he’ll give you much game time (AMN, Pepe etc).

I totally understand why someone wouldn’t want to come back without guarantees because under this manager you may not feature at all and may end up missing out on the World Cup getting no game time.

Your point backs my argument.
Bale was good in the Prem. Better in La Liga
Ronaldo the same.
Lewandowski, Messi, Mbappe, Benzima, Harrland, wouldn't/won't score as many in the Prem as they do in the other leagues! It is harder to look like the best player in the world, when playing in the Prem, because the average standard is so high. Saliba, would have a much steeper learning curve in the Prem than in France.

Sorry dude, I don't agree with that at all. here is no evidence whatsoever that its harder to score goals in England than elsewhere.

Bale was 24 when he moved to Real Madrid, of course he would be better in La Liga than he was in the Prem, he was entering his prime plus he was playing for the biggest club in world football !! Same goes for Ronaldo, he too was 24 when he moved to Real.

Sergio Aguero moved to Man City aged 23, during his time at Athletico Madrid he scored a goal every 2.36 games, at Man city he scored a goal every 1.49 games ! Fernando Torres moved to Liverpool aged 23, his record at Athletico Madrid was 2.6 games per goal, at Liverpool it was 1.59. That suggests the Prem is easier than La Liga .. of course its not.

The only league that I can say CATEGORICALLY was traditionally harder to score goals in was Serie A back in the 80s and 90s because Italian football was famous for being a notoriously defensive league, the heroes of the teams used to be defenders. Not the case now.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Mon May 23, 2022 8:16 am

So let the re-build begin yawn
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Mon May 23, 2022 8:20 am

We're top of the table in having rebuilds
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:23 am

Funnily enough Kulasevski and Bentacur would have been two solid signings for us and essentially free.

£60m for them both and that would have gotten us CL and the money that comes with it.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:59 am

Another summer where we need to move on lots of players. I wonder how many we get transfer fees for / have to loan out to get them of the wage books ...

Leno
Runarrson
Bellerin
Maitland-Niles
Mari
Torreira
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goonerred » Mon May 23, 2022 12:23 pm

VCC wrote:So let the re-build begin yawn

We're top of the table any way now - at least - for the 2022/23 season. (Unless they let Bournmouth do the AFC thing)
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:36 pm

5 subs again next season.

Aside from the big ST and CM signings we need to really bulk out the squad with more quality.

Ramsdale
Tomi White Gabriel Tierney

Partey CM

Odegaard

Saka ST Martinelli

Subs:
LB
ST
Turner
Xhaka
Saliba
Holding
Elneny
Smith-Rowe
Nelson
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Mon May 23, 2022 1:40 pm

Five subs is wrong. Only benefits richer clubs. City for example already have a huge advantage, then can bring on a fresh £40M player, on average every 18 minutes
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby alexafc12 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:46 pm

I tend to agree tbh. Huge advantage for clubs like City.

It really negates any liability on the manager if they set up their teams wrong. 3 instant subs at the 20 min mark and you're still left with 2 for later in the game.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Hypergooner » Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:I don’t think it has anything to do with thar, it has more to do with being messed about for 3 years and in the meantime playing for a club thar values you and qualified for Europes premier competition.

I can understand why he wouldn’t want to come back, together with the way he’s been treated he can see how others have been as well, that’s never going to make a player rush to

I totally understand Saliba’s point of view, he’s not been treated fairly and clearly doesn’t feel valued by Arsenal but does at Marseille.

Generally the very best don’t come to the PL anyway, they only come here if they don’t have a lot of choice and it’s to a money club like City or a club with the history and of the size of Man U.

I don't agree. I'd say the very best do come here (to the prem). The ones that don't only look the best while in weaker leagues. 25 goals in La Liga 35 in France, 30 in Germany is more like 15 in the Prem.
I thought Saliba had some personal reasons he wanted to extend his loan in the first place. Arteta let him stay to get his head right. Now he's playing well and doesn't have to compete for first team football and can play CL, he doesn’t want to come back.
I say ship him off and get a braver man

Sorry dude, I don't agree with that at all. here is no evidence whatsoever that its harder to score goals in England than elsewhere.

Bale was 24 when he moved to Real Madrid, of course he would be better in La Liga than he was in the Prem, he was entering his prime plus he was playing for the biggest club in world football !! Same goes for Ronaldo, he too was 24 when he moved to Real.

Sergio Aguero moved to Man City aged 23, during his time at Athletico Madrid he scored a goal every 2.36 games, at Man city he scored a goal every 1.49 games ! Fernando Torres moved to Liverpool aged 23, his record at Athletico Madrid was 2.6 games per goal, at Liverpool it was 1.59. That suggests the Prem is easier than La Liga .. of course its not.

The only league that I can say CATEGORICALLY was traditionally harder to score goals in was Serie A back in the 80s and 90s because Italian football was famous for being a notoriously defensive league, the heroes of the teams used to be defenders. Not the case now.

This is a good debate
It makes all logical sense for it to be harder to score, or more to the point, be seen as one of the world elite in the Prem, because the average quality is so much higher. There's more money and competition in the Prem, so it's harder to stand out.
Messi, Ronaldo, Benzima, Mbappe etc. Are obviously going to find it easier to score and look amazing, when the team they play for is so much higher standard than the teams around them. Most teams in France, Spain, Italy, wouldn't compete with Championship teams, let alone Premier league teams.
If United were in the Championship last season, Ronaldo would have bagged 30 goals.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby swipe right » Mon May 23, 2022 3:40 pm

We are going to have to find South American gems. And frankly they aren’t that many of them. A couple of high quality players who other clubs have not laid their eyes on that well get for cheap. Wishful thinking but that’s all we’ve got to go with.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Hypergooner » Mon May 23, 2022 4:38 pm

swipe right wrote:We are going to have to find South American gems. And frankly they aren’t that many of them. A couple of high quality players who other clubs have not laid their eyes on that well get for cheap. Wishful thinking but that’s all we’ve got to go with.

We can just go aggressive and take the good players from teams in the mid - lower half of the Prem. People always forget the good players around them, as we're used to seeing them. Only ones I feel we'll struggle with are strikers.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk