Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Rockape » Fri May 20, 2022 7:44 am

:rolleyes: you lost me, when you said ‘those that know about football’.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 8:13 am

Rockape wrote::rolleyes: you lost me, when you said ‘those that know about football’.

I can only assume that anyone who thought there was a quick fix really didn’t understand the situation.
It was always a long term job. We were in such awful shape I remember saying it was a 5 year job to get us back - IF we could ever recover. That’s about right. The signs are good that we can get back but only because Arteta recognised he had to totally shred the squad and replace it.

Dismantling the squad so quickly and getting us back up the table with a young squad of replacements and development of the only players worthy of staying is really a very good job.

Our trajectory is up instead of down and our future for the next few years looks positive For the first time in ages. You have to give big credit to the manger for that and the players he brought in.
It’s why Arsenal fans are excited about the future.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby VCC » Fri May 20, 2022 8:37 am

The signs are shit until after the window, because if he does not make great signings this team is not going to be as effective,
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 9:16 am

VCC wrote:The signs are shit until after the window, because if he does not make great signings this team is not going to be as effective,

We’ve already had a good season with a young squad. We do need to - and will - continue to add in the summer. It’s more that if we don’t add in the summer the signs won’t look as good.
… but we all know we will.

Very much a glass half full/ glass half empty difference on thing I guess.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 9:25 am

Rockape wrote:I think a lot of people are losing sight of the big picture here. The reality is that we currently have a manager who was only a journeyman PL player, worked as a back room assistant to a very successful manager and now has been dropped into a role of which he has no experience.

Can you imagine a City based company with a similar turnover taking such a gamble ? Don’t get me wrong, if he was doing great, it would be amazing, but anyone with a budget, can clear out players and bring in new ones, but can they create that elusive winning formula that makes a team perform above the level of their individual parts?

I’d suggest he’s scored 7/10 so far and don’t think that is good enough. 9/10 is our minimum requirement.

My rating for Arteta, if we don't get top 4 is 5 out of 10 - which is of course low average.

If he somehow manages to get top 4 it will be 7 out of 10.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 9:27 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
elkanofan wrote:Still waiting for someone whos pro Arteta to explain the genius if Martinelli at LWB for us.

No worse than Xhaka at LB and ESR up top vs Villarreal.
I see your Xhaka LB and ESR up top and raise you Eboue up front and Bendtner on the wing!

Egad man !!

I don't remember Eboue up front ... I remember him wide right though, not saying it didn't happen mind. Diaby wide left ... another Wenger stinker.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 9:29 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Rockape wrote::rolleyes: you lost me, when you said ‘those that know about football’.

I can only assume that anyone who thought there was a quick fix really didn’t understand the situation.
It was always a long term job. We were in such awful shape I remember saying it was a 5 year job to get us back - IF we could ever recover. That’s about right. The signs are good that we can get back but only because Arteta recognised he had to totally shred the squad and replace it.

Dismantling the squad so quickly and getting us back up the table with a young squad of replacements and development of the only players worthy of staying is really a very good job.

Our trajectory is up instead of down and our future for the next few years looks positive For the first time in ages. You have to give big credit to the manger for that and the players he brought in.

Jay, if the team after Wenger left finished 5th and 1 point from 4th place that tells you and proves that no such long term job was required to fix any situation. Simple.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 9:49 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Jay, if the team after Wenger left finished 5th and 1 point from 4th place that tells you and proves that no such long term job was required to fix any situation. Simple.

Never bought that argument HH.
The team plummeted from that point and was never going to get us back in the top 4 and had dropped to 11th half way through a season when Arteta took over. It was a mess. So, Arteta completely changed the team and put us on a path forward, completely recovering the position and more importantly setting us an upward trajectory, not down.

The trajectory is simple
Took over in 11th
Moved up to 8th
Stayed 8th
Moved up to 5th

All whilst totally revamping the squad.

My only criticism is that we kept players in that first full season that were proven failures.
Should have done what we did at the beginning of this season earlier - straight after winning the FA Cup.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Fri May 20, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 9:50 am

jayramfootball wrote:

That's got nothing to do with it.

People are mad because 4th was "in our hands" it was there, and we refused to take it because we did the minimum just like always.

Not sure why that doesn't sink in to your head, 4th became realistic and we were 4 pts up and we gave it away, not because we had Liverpool and City to go, but a loss at Spurs and loss at Newcastle.

Why did we not park the bus at Spurs when all we needed was a draw? why did we not realise after selling our former star striker that we needed a CF to make a real effort at getting 4th which if we did get CL that would of paid for the CF in full.

Arteta gambled and all your retort is ......... "There's always next year".

No, other teams are also improving, other teams also have "projects" i.e transfer windows.

You've swallowed Vinai's d*ck, he's selling you marketing language, he's forever talking about competing tomorrow when the rest of the league is competing today.

..........its BS and we've been hearing this sort of trash excuses since Wenger.

Also Arteta is actually part of the problem, using dated formations and tactics while the football world has moved on.

We're not getting top 4 next year ......... what are you going to say then?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 9:55 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

People are mad because 4th was "in our hands" it was there, and we refused to take it because we did the minimum just like always.

Not sure why that doesn't sink in to your head, 4th became realistic and we were 4 pts up and we gave it away, not because we had Liverpool and City to go, but a loss at Spurs and loss at Newcastle.

Why did we not park the bus at Spurs when all we needed was a draw? why did we not realise after selling our former star striker that we needed a CF to make a real effort at getting 4th which if we did get CL that would of paid for the CF in full.

No, other teams are also improving, other teams also have "projects" i.e transfer windows.

You've swallowed Vinai's d*ck, he's selling you marketing language, he's forever talking about competing tomorrow when the rest of the league is competing today.

..........its BS and we've been hearing this sort of trash excuses since Wenger.

Also Arteta is actually part of the problem, using dated formations and tactics while the football world has moved on.

We were in the top 4 race precisely because the manager and team have done a good job this year.
The disappointment is understandable because we got so close, the complete meltdown to suggest our club is doomed forever is not understandable. It’s pathetic.

I have no interest in your tactical analysis , no more than I’d be interested in a bin man talking about financial derivatives.

As for my retort , it’s not ‘there’s always next year’ it’s ‘it always WAS next year’ . This year was always a stretch for top 4 which would have represented a brilliant season way ahead is schedule.

I think we will get top 4 next year.
If we don’t, what I will say is that the manager and players have not progressed. Not really that complicated.

But I will wait for what happens next year instead of crying about what people might be afraid of - incessantly.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Goonerred » Fri May 20, 2022 10:05 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I think we gave it up before the Spurs match. We were ahead with games in hand and failed to win three games on the trot. With a tweak in January we may have come away with at least 3 or 4 points there, the pressure would have been off us going into the past two games. If a top 6 finish might have been the club's ambition at the start of the season, surely you adapt to what is happening and cut your cloth accordingly. Top 4 was well in our grasp at one point.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 10:36 am

Also think this excuse that 4th wasn’t expected before the season started is irrelevant.

No one expected Man U, Leicester or Spurs to be as bad as they have been, had they know they would have then expected a challenge for 4th place.

These teams aren’t going to be this bad again and with Newcastle being thrown in the mix for top 6, I just can’t see how Arteta can do any better, I’ve seen plenty of flaws in his management and don’t feel he has it in him to take us to another level.

If he can’t do it this season given how poorly our rivals performed and given how well positioned we were, I can’t see how he’ll do it going by forward.

I personally haven’t found our season that great, lots of tight wins with average football, a few wins with some very good football and 13 defeats which is awful, lots of goals conceded and barely more than last season scored.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Fri May 20, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 10:41 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Never bought that argument HH.
The team plummeted from that point and was never going to get us back in the top 4 and had dropped to 11th half way through a season when Arteta took over. It was a mess. So, Arteta completely changed the team and put us on a path forward, completely recovering the position and more importantly setting us an upward trajectory, not down.

The trajectory is simple
Took over in 11th
Moved up to 8th
Stayed 8th
Moved up to 5th

All whilst totally revamping the squad.

My only criticism is that we kept players in that first full season that were proven failures.
Should have done what we did at the beginning of this season earlier - straight after winning the FA Cup.

The team only plummeted because Emery turned into a total f***ing idiot Jay. Arteta came in and showed initial pragmatism which was solely responsible for winning the FA Cup, then that went to his head, he got promoted to manager - and then he too turned into a total f***ing idiot.

So NO, a major revamp/rebuild was not required, we had successive managers making endless bad decisions - thats what led us to plummet, nothing else.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 10:52 am

jayramfootball wrote:
We were in the top 4 race precisely because the manager and team have done a good job this year.
The disappointment is understandable because we got so close, the complete meltdown to suggest our club is doomed forever is not understandable. It’s pathetic.

I have no interest in your tactical analysis , no more than I’d be interested in a bin man talking about financial derivatives.

As for my retort , it’s not ‘there’s always next year’ it’s ‘it always WAS next year’ . This year was always a stretch for top 4 which would have represented a brilliant season way ahead is schedule.

I think we will get top 4 next year.
If we don’t, what I will say is that the manager and players have not progressed. Not really that complicated.

But I will wait for what happens next year instead of crying about what people might be afraid of - incessantly.

Jay make up your mind ! You said top 6 was your goal and it was aligned with the club's goal, then you said Top 6 wasn't your goal.

You claim we are ahead of schedule, how ? If top 6 wasnt our goal and top 4 was unrealistic, how is finishing top 5 ahead of our goal ?

Your view is riddled with contradictions.

You say we have progressed, but we have less points than Emery and are back in the Europa League. This so-called progress you are measuring against is against Arteta's previous failure - 8th place and no Europe. How the hell is that progress ? Its net no progress at all, unless of course you are tryng to say Arteta has improved against his own shit-ness, ok, I can agree - thats NOT progress in the sense that any sane Arsenal football fan is measuring it against. Thats like celebrating winning back the money you gambled away and lost, nothing to celebrate bro, we are back to square one, but 3 years later !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 10:53 am

Reiss wrote: :rofll: :rofll:

Shut down the thread. Jay has killed this poor guy!

:rolleyes:

So excitable like a puppy about to pee itself, what are you 5 years old or something?

Is this guy really a grown adult surely not?
Last edited by DiamondGooner on Fri May 20, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk