Gabriel Martinelli (11)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:47 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Play him up front if we fail to sign a new striker this window.

He's better on the left and has said so himself. I would not disrupt his development by moving him now. MAYBE in a couple of seasons.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:44 am

Since it's looking shaky on the signings, I really hope Arteta looks to try Martinelli as striker. We forget that 7 of the 10 goals Martinelli scored in his debut were as a striker. He's got a bit of everything in his locker. Worth a try if things don't pan out on the transfers and we're still missing the target.

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:18 am

^No PL games in those clips.

Martinelli:
"I really like playing on the left end," Gabriel Martinelli told Marca.

"It is my favourite position. I give myself to the maximum for the team.

I don't think it is wise to tinker and change the position of a player on good form in his favoured position.
I am sure Martinelli COULD do through the middle, but I would worry that he'd be battered week in week out and the physical pressure on him would be too much in the PL.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:26 pm

Martinelli is a fantastic player. Pretty soon, a bigger club will come for him, and we can make £60m on him and (hopefully) reinvest it on cheap talent who we can develop and eventually sell for £60m in the future.

Players like Martinelli are just what we need.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:34 pm

Martinelli is fantastic, should have been getting regular football since Emery left, he was already excellent then.

He’s the one guy who always seems to come out with credit from matches, always chasing, looking to make things happen.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:56 pm

PairyGrows wrote:Martinelli is a fantastic player. Pretty soon, a bigger club will come for him, and we can make £60m on him and (hopefully) reinvest it on cheap talent who we can develop and eventually sell for £60m in the future.

Players like Martinelli are just what we need.

Lol. That's not the picture most imagine but it could be our reality. Would really sting if we go through all of this to just end up being a feeder club.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:58 pm

Salibatelli wrote:Martinelli is fantastic, should have been getting regular football since Emery left, he was already excellent then.

He’s the one guy who always seems to come out with credit from matches, always chasing, looking to make things happen.

Could be that Arteta got the timing his introduction this season absolutely perfect.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:26 pm

I'd like to see him play more centrally, with Saka, ESR out wide and Odegaard behind. Laca is never in the box when a cross comes in.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:31 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Martinelli is fantastic, should have been getting regular football since Emery left, he was already excellent then.

Could be that Arteta got the timing his introduction this season absolutely perfect.

Then why was he fantastic before Arteta arrived?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Yeah, we would have made use of him earlier and especially since Auba and Lacazette are leaving.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:24 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He got injured.
Personally I would have brought him in earlier too, but Arteta has done so well with young players it's clear he knows what he is doing.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:28 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He got injured.
Personally I would have brought him in earlier too, but Arteta has done so well with young players it's clear he knows what he is doing.

From memory Arteta didn’t use him, then Aubameyang was suspended so he came in and scored goals (before the lockdown). Post lockdown we played 3 games and he didn’t feature at all (which people thought was odd), he then did get injured.

I also wanted him to have more chances, think he probably deserved it and as mentioned he always seems to be trying to major things happen, making runs, taking shots, chasing the ball.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby BexleyGooner » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:50 pm

Do you think we could be contemplating a new contract for him already? Need to tie him down for another 5 years.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:54 pm

BexleyGooner wrote:Do you think we could be contemplating a new contract for him already? Need to tie him down for another 5 years.

Didn’t he sign a new contract last year?
Think it ends in 2025
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:57 pm

Martinelli is contracted until 2024, but the club has an option to extend his contract with another year.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk