2022 January Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:44 pm

That’s because the system was completely wrong.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:48 pm

Salibatelli wrote:That’s because the system was completely wrong.

That’s why Emery’s approach was abandoned, I suspect. Smart.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:00 am

jayramfootball wrote:

I thought this was about Arteta’s preferred style?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:25 am

jayramfootball wrote:

Emery whipped Teta’s sweet rear end the one time they met.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:24 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Reiss wrote:@jamesbenge: As reported elsewhere, Arsenal have been offered the chance to take Luka Jovic on loan.

I'd take Jovic. Not because I want him, because quite frankly I have no f*cking clue how he'd fare, but because of the shambles of a window we've had and the fact that I don't want to go into the final part of the season with Lacazette and Eddie bloody Nketiah up front.

We won't be match fit. He's hardly played over the last 2 seasons and has a handful of goals over the last few seasons.

If we take him on loan we'd still need another striker.
He'd be cover for Laca, have six months to get his fitness up and make a big enough impact when he does play to get an extension into next season.

Better than having Nketiah as back up.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:06 am

So, is everything going to plan? has the gruesome twosome got everything sorted, trust the process lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:38 am

Remember when we 'missed out' on Emi Buenda, Emerson Royal and James Maddison? That worked out ok. I'm hoping for a Tomiyasu type surprise in CM and a late Odegaard type signing up front.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 am

Reiss wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Reiss wrote:@jamesbenge: As reported elsewhere, Arsenal have been offered the chance to take Luka Jovic on loan.

I'd take Jovic. Not because I want him, because quite frankly I have no f*cking clue how he'd fare, but because of the shambles of a window we've had and the fact that I don't want to go into the final part of the season with Lacazette and Eddie bloody Nketiah up front.

We won't be match fit. He's hardly played over the last 2 seasons and has a handful of goals over the last few seasons.

Mate we're desperate. Is Jovic on a 6 month deal really that bad?

The guy had an incredible season for Frankfurt before joining Madrid.

We need reinforcements up front and January is proving hard to bring in our targets. Laca and Eddie won't cut it.

I get it but do you think a guy that hasn't played regular football for three seasons will cut it? It was 2018/19 when he had a good season for Frankfurt. We're being iffy about Isak who has only scored 8 goals this season, but willing to take on a guy that has scored 7 over 3 seasons? Cheap and quick is the main appeal but I don't know if it solves our problems this season or if he gets in ahead of Lacazette. That's what I think we need. A strong starter so Lacazette can come off the bench.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:51 am

We need a goal scorer.
We can't hope that players like Isak and Jovic will become goal scorers in the PL when they can't even do it where they are now.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:16 am

jayramfootball wrote:We need a goal scorer.
We can't hope that players like Isak and Jovic will become goal scorers in the PL when they can't even do it where they are now.

Self inflicted crisis by not giving Laca a new deal, taking too long to develop Martinelli and falling out with Auba. Can’t say I have much sympathy.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:22 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:We need a goal scorer.

Self inflicted crisis by not giving Laca a new deal, taking too long to develop Martinelli and falling out with Auba. Can’t say I have much sympathy.

Martinelli prefers to play on the left - his own words - and he is doing very well there. In terms of his development, we'll never really know if he was held back or whether the timing was perfect. Outcomes matter and he's now playing really well for us.

As For Auba , I said we need a goal scorer. That hasn't been an apt description of Auba for a long time.

Laca has found value in dropping deeper and linking play, not scoring goals. He certainly can not be described as a goal scorer either.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:06 am

Arsenal pushing to sign Calvert-Lewin, Isak or Vlahovic before Monday’s deadline
by James McNicholas, David Ornstein, Amy Lawrence

The success of Arsenal’s transfer window last summer was predicated on long-term thinking and a clear strategy.

It will be interesting to see whether they can hold onto those principles as January one hurtles towards a close.

Arsenal have entered the final week of the winter window still hoping to do considerable business.

Ideally, they would like to make three additions, with centre-forward, central midfield and goalkeeper the areas earmarked for arrivals.

Thomas Partey and Granit Xhaka are due to return from their suspensions after the mid-season break, so the striker situation now arguably feels most urgent.

The Athletic understands that, in the remaining seven days of the window, Arsenal will redouble their attempts to prise one of their primary targets away from their current clubs — Dusan Vlahovic, Alexander Isak and Dominic Calvert-Lewin are the names that have figured most prominently in their discussions. Ahead of a mid-season training camp in Dubai, manager Mikel Arteta has flown to America to speak directly to Arsenal’s ownership. It is inevitable that transfers will figure high on the agenda...

Full article (paywall): https://theathletic.com/3089372/2022/01 ... ed-article
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:19 am

I mean if we’re after Vlahovic and he doesn’t want to come why don’t we just try our luck with Haaland?

I know he won’t want to come either but what’s the difference?

There’s also Martinez at Inter.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:00 pm

Reiss wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Mate we're desperate. Is Jovic on a 6 month deal really that bad?

The guy had an incredible season for Frankfurt before joining Madrid.

We need reinforcements up front and January is proving hard to bring in our targets. Laca and Eddie won't cut it.

I get it but do you think a guy that hasn't played regular football for three seasons will cut it? It was 2018/19 when he had a good season for Frankfurt. We're being iffy about Isak who has only scored 8 goals this season, but willing to take on a guy that has scored 7 over 3 seasons? Cheap and quick is the main appeal but I don't know if it solves our problems this season or if he gets in ahead of Lacazette. That's what I think we need. A strong starter so Lacazette can come off the bench.

He's absolutely not the ideal striker to bring in but if it's a choice of going with what we have or adding Jovic I'd rather we took the punt.

Top 4 is on the line and if we can't bring in our no1 targets then Jovic is better than nothing.

If you say so. Personally, I would hope we'd avoid another Denis Suarez situation. If we bring him in and he doesn't look sharp, no point in giving him minutes. It's valuable time wasted and taken away from other possible internal solutions. As said, Martinelli through the middle could work out well. Pepe is another or move Pepe to the left with Martinelli in the middle if things are that desperate.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:17 pm

Arteta has been spotted in Denver at a hockey game. That suggests to me we don't have the money, and Arteta has gone to plead with Kroenke to find some way to make funds available.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk