2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:01 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:We have a keeper and back four that could be a unit for the best part of a decade and having played together a handful of times are already more solid and play more like a unit than any back four we've had since the first time Sol Campbell left. Three of the five were signed this summer.

That alone makes it a brilliant window.
Then you add in Odegaard, Lokonga and Tavares - all getting minutes and all looking quality players.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:09 pm

Jez wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:We have a keeper and back four that could be a unit for the best part of a decade and having played together a handful of times are already more solid and play more like a unit than any back four we've had since the first time Sol Campbell left. Three of the five were signed this summer.

four of the back 5 have been great

when saliba comes back he'll slot in next to gabriel then it'll be very good.

Do you really not rate White? He hasn't been 50m great, but he does seem to work well between gabriel and tomiyasu imo.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:27 pm

I think the effect of Tomiyasu shouldn't be underestimated. I've not seen anything special from White, he hasn't been bad though. Tomiyasu gives us such good balance and is dependable, that must give White a lot of confidence that he won't need to cover that side, similarly Gabriel must have that confidence because of Tierney.

Having 2 good fullbacks makes a massive difference.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:33 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
Jez wrote:

four of the back 5 have been great

when saliba comes back he'll slot in next to gabriel then it'll be very good.

Do you really not rate White? He hasn't been 50m great, but he does seem to work well between gabriel and tomiyasu imo.

GA doesn’t have real opinions
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:43 pm

theHotHead wrote:I think the effect of Tomiyasu shouldn't be underestimated. I've not seen anything special from White, he hasn't been bad though. Tomiyasu gives us such good balance and is dependable, that must give White a lot of confidence that he won't need to cover that side, similarly Gabriel must have that confidence because of Tierney.

Having 2 good fullbacks makes a massive difference.

White pretty much owned Kane in the first half and quarterbacked the attacks.
I do agree though, having Tomi and Gabriel around him is vastly different to Holding and Bellend.
That's the same for any defender.
The role White is taking up is exactly what he was bought for I would suggest. Looking good like all the other signings.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:36 pm

Stopping Kane isn’t a badge of honour at the moment he’s hopelessly out of form and just doesn’t look himself after the failed move to City.

Setting up the goal for Saka after giving the ball away just about summer him up.

Gabriel is the outstanding CB of the two at the moment, he’s looked great and at the price we paid looks a great buy.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:47 pm

Özim wrote:Stopping Kane isn’t a badge of honour at the moment he’s hopelessly out of form and just doesn’t look himself after the failed move to City.

Setting up the goal for Saka after giving the ball away just about summer him up.

Gabriel is the outstanding CB of the two at the moment, he’s looked great and at the price we paid looks a great buy.

I see. So it's the opponents being shit again. Right.
I suppose pinging 8 long balls and finding the target with 7 of them and his overall excellent pass distribution finding his team mate 95% of the time, intercepting 3 through balls and making 3 clearances was all because Kane didn't get his transfer to City too...
:rolleyes:

Just like Arteta, he is making you eat it.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:57 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:Stopping Kane isn’t a badge of honour at the moment he’s hopelessly out of form and just doesn’t look himself after the failed move to City.

I suppose pinging 8 long balls and finding the target with 7 of them and his overall excellent pass distribution finding his team mate 95% of the time, intercepting 3 through balls and making 3 clearances was all because Kane didn't get his transfer to City too...

He has his best match for us, I don’t particularly look at passing as that’s just a bonus with a defender, primarily it’s the defensive work that’s important.

Like I said he did well, but Gabriel has looked better and he cost half as much as White.

White needs to work on areas of his game, he’s 23 and he’s a bit on the rash side at times, like any 23 year old he needs to improve his weak areas, but then Gabriel is 23 and looks outstanding so it’s not every 23 year old.

As for Kane it is what it is, he’s just not playing well so naturally he’s easier to stop than when he was really on form.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:21 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He has his best match for us, I don’t particularly look at passing as that’s just a bonus with a defender, primarily it’s the defensive work that’s important.

Like I said he did well, but Gabriel has looked better and he cost half as much as White.

White needs to work on areas of his game, he’s 23 and he’s a bit on the rash side at times, like any 23 year old he needs to improve his weak areas, but then Gabriel is 23 and looks outstanding so it’s not every 23 year old.

As for Kane it is what it is, he’s just not playing well so naturally he’s easier to stop than when he was really on form.

What is important is that he is playing well and forming a strong partnership with Gabriel - they are both (with Tomi) forming a good unit, led by White.
He's the leader back there directing play. That is what we bought him for and right now, it's looking like a great signing - along with 5 other great signings.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:38 pm

Worst summer ever
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Bring in Benitez.

He's done more with free transfers of ex-gambling addicts and Leicester throwaway players than we have with £150m.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:20 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:Bring in Benitez.

He's done more with free transfers of ex-gambling addicts and Leicester throwaway players than we have with £150m.

Oh dear - the weekend our new signings step it up another level and Benitez gets beaten 2-5 at home to Wolves. :lipssealed:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby VCC » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:05 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Oh dear - the weekend our new signings step it up another level and Benitez gets beaten 2-5 at home to Wolves. :lipssealed:

Wolves drew with Leeds
That would be Watford young man
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:45 am

VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Wolves drew with Leeds
That would be Watford young man

Ah yes, ty - it was even worse for BeNitEz
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:35 am

jayramfootball wrote:

And yet Everton are above us in the table on GD :lol:
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk