Benjamin White (4)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Benjamin White (4)

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:55 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Vieira on Ben White comments about not watching football.

https://tbrfootball.com/it-matters-vieira-fires-back-at-arsenal-defender-ben-white/

“It matters. Watching games shows the passion and love you have. Thierry would watch any kind of game in any league in any country,” Vieira said.

“He knew everything about the game. I played with Cesc Fabregas and the Spanish players watched games every day.”

In a recent interview, Mbappe mentioned how he watches as many games as he possibly can from all leagues across Europe.

It's not an issue that White doesn't watch football, per se. Some people simply treat their job as that—a job. For Arsenal, however, it's concerning because zeal is what drives footballers. There's a reason why world class players like Bale and Tevez lost interest in football and treated it as a mere job once they were set for life.

White isn't in the wrong here. For him, it's about playing and earning. More power to him. But we could say that he's the type that'd lose interest in the game sooner than other players who are religiously devoted to the game beyond just playing.

Of all footballers, how many are 'religiously devoted to the game', which in this example is defined as those that watch it on TV? That's wrong, but leaving that aside, what's the split?
Of those, what is the split between the top footballers and the others in the two groups? Those that watch the game on TV and those that don't?

i.e is there any evidence that watching football on TV leads to a better career?
I'd like to see it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:07 pm

The fact of the matter is that Ben White has not been good enough vs. the likes of Toney and Edouard.

Is anyone confident about him facing Ronaldo? or Vardy? Or even Danny Ings on Friday?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:14 pm

Wasn't he moved to RB by Brighton after he was a bit shit for them at CB?

Tomiyasu and him should swap
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:21 pm

Angelito wrote:

https://tbrfootball.com/it-matters-vieira-fires-back-at-arsenal-defender-ben-white/

“It matters. Watching games shows the passion and love you have. Thierry would watch any kind of game in any league in any country,” Vieira said.

“He knew everything about the game. I played with Cesc Fabregas and the Spanish players watched games every day.”

In a recent interview, Mbappe mentioned how he watches as many games as he possibly can from all leagues across Europe.

It's not an issue that White doesn't watch football, per se. Some people simply treat their job as that—a job. For Arsenal, however, it's concerning because zeal is what drives footballers. There's a reason why world class players like Bale and Tevez lost interest in football and treated it as a mere job once they were set for life.

White isn't in the wrong here. For him, it's about playing and earning. More power to him. But we could say that he's the type that'd lose interest in the game sooner than other players who are religiously devoted to the game beyond just playing.

We're on the same page with this one.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:26 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:The fact of the matter is that Ben White has not been good enough vs. the likes of Toney and Edouard.

Is anyone confident about him facing Ronaldo? or Vardy? Or even Danny Ings on Friday?

Bar 1 mistake in backing off, Edouard got no change at all from White. In fact, Palace created almost nothing except for the two mistakes that started with giving the ball away in midfield.

Brentford game.. I'll say this... Toney absolutely shredded Van Dijk (far worse than he did White actually) when Liverpool played Brentford. So he must be shit too right?

What seems to be happening is that every single time one of our players is short of perfection, they get labelled as 'not good enough'.
It's an emotional black or white (pardon the pun) response driven by a frustration that we are not good enough to be title contenders right now.
That's all it is.
Believe it or not, teams actually scored goals against the Invincibles AND our most famous back 5. Incredible to believe I know, but it's true.
Even crazier is that Tony Adams, Keown, Campbell et all also made mistakes and got done by strikers... amazing to think it but again true.

Our back 5 has looked excellent and it's bloody exciting for the future. been years since we've had a defence look anywhere near as good - probably since the invincibles broke up.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:

We're on the same page with this one.

Ditto. Watching games fuels the drive to improve and be the best, watching your peers do what they do is surely on every player's to do list, you can't just rely on what you see players in your squad do in training. I don't understand where a drive or desire to be the best comes from if you don't watch football.

Im an amateur, I play golf, tennis, snooker, I snowboard, I watch all of the above in an effort to pick up skills/techniques and to see what the very best do and how they do it.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:32 pm

TedLasso wrote:
Ach wrote:Wasn't he moved to RB by Brighton after he was a bit shit for them at CB?

Tomiyasu and him should swap

I've been thinking about this as well. I think the positions might suit their strengths a bit better.

I don't know how tomiyasu will do as CB in a 2 but can't be any worse whilst White will be taken out of the firing line from the centre of defence.

His passing might be more useful from RB. Our Trent
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Think he might do better as DM. In front of Holding and Gabriel.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:56 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:The fact of the matter is that Ben White has not been good enough vs. the likes of Toney and Edouard.

Bar 1 mistake in backing off, Edouard got no change at all from White. In fact, Palace created almost nothing except for the two mistakes that started with giving the ball away in midfield.

Brentford game.. I'll say this... Toney absolutely shredded Van Dijk (far worse than he did White actually) when Liverpool played Brentford. So he must be shit too right?

What seems to be happening is that every single time one of our players is short of perfection, they get labelled as 'not good enough'.
It's an emotional black or white (pardon the pun) response driven by a frustration that we are not good enough to be title contenders right now.
That's all it is.
Believe it or not, teams actually scored goals against the Invincibles AND our most famous back 5. Incredible to believe I know, but it's true.
Even crazier is that Tony Adams, Keown, Campbell et all also made mistakes and got done by strikers... amazing to think it but again true.

Our back 5 has looked excellent and it's bloody exciting for the future. been years since we've had a defence look anywhere near as good - probably since the invincibles broke up.

Most goals are scored because the ball is lost in midfield. If midfielders did not give the ball away ever, you would not need defenders. So your excuse is lame.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:07 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That's all it is.

Most goals are scored because the ball is lost in midfield. If midfielders did not give the ball away ever, you would not need defenders. So your excuse is lame.

No. Most goals are not scored because of errors like Partey and Lokonga made.

White and Gabriel also were at error.

But my point stands.
Palace created almost nothing outside those gifts we gave them despite having a lot of the ball...because our defence was good - as it has been since this new back 5 came together.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:39 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That's all it is.

But my point stands.
Palace created almost nothing outside those gifts we gave them despite having a lot of the ball...because our defence was good - as it has been since this new back 5 came together.

The defense is good, Arteta is good. But we are 12th in the league. How?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:56 am

Bottom line, the table doesn;'t lie
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:04 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That's all it is.

But my point stands.

Because we had a bad start... The defence was not playing together for those first 3 games. 2 of the players were not even here.
Gabriel was out for all 3 of those first games. White was out for 2 of them.

7 of the goals we have conceded came in 2 games where only Tierney from the back 5 was playing.

Since the back 5 have been together we've conceded 3 in 5 games and have picked up 11 from 15 points.

So the '12th' argument is entirely IRRELEVANT to the discussion on this back 5 or anyone in it.

Criticising any of our current back 5 is a bit stupid at the moment really.
It's looking the best defence we have had for nearly 20 years.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:07 am

theHotHead wrote:Bottom line, the table doesn;'t lie

It's been a pattern. We have a midtable manager as Ang has said already.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:45 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That's all it is.

But my point stands.

Because we had a bad start... The defence was not playing together for those first 3 games. 2 of the players were not even here.
Gabriel was out for all 3 of those first games. White was out for 2 of them.

7 of the goals we have conceded came in 2 games where only Tierney from the back 5 was playing.

Since the back 5 have been together we've conceded 3 in 5 games and have picked up 11 from 15 points.

So the '12th' argument is entirely IRRELEVANT to the discussion on this back 5 or anyone in it.

Criticising any of our current back 5 is a bit stupid at the moment really.
It's looking the best defence we have had for nearly 20 years.

Bad start? Didn’t you tell us we were one of the best teams over the past 31 games?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk