Benjamin White (4)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Benjamin White (4)

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:27 am

Power n Glory wrote:Vieira on Ben White comments about not watching football.

https://tbrfootball.com/it-matters-vieira-fires-back-at-arsenal-defender-ben-white/

“It matters. Watching games shows the passion and love you have. Thierry would watch any kind of game in any league in any country,” Vieira said.

“He knew everything about the game. I played with Cesc Fabregas and the Spanish players watched games every day.”

RvP used to watch football extensively. I once saw an interview with Wenger where he said RvP would come to training and discuss every game from the prior week and have a long list of players he wanted Wenger to take a look at.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:22 am

ag6789 wrote:When you're last man defending you never get into final challenge because it'll leave the GK exposed. That's why they narrow the angle and force a low percentage shot at the goal.
The trouble is he didn't get midfield cover.

Basics of defending, when you're the last man you stay on your feet and try and force your opponent away from goal to narrow the scoring angle,if you know he has a weaker foot you defend the stronger side. Rule one is stay on your feet and make the attacker go around you, backing off (same is Spurs first against Newcastle) or showing him a path to the middle of the goal, that just gives the striker a free shot ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:35 am

swipe right wrote:

https://tbrfootball.com/it-matters-vieira-fires-back-at-arsenal-defender-ben-white/

“It matters. Watching games shows the passion and love you have. Thierry would watch any kind of game in any league in any country,” Vieira said.

“He knew everything about the game. I played with Cesc Fabregas and the Spanish players watched games every day.”

RvP used to watch football extensively. I once saw an interview with Wenger where he said RvP would come to training and discuss every game from the prior week and have a long list of players he wanted Wenger to take a look at.

Wenger was a football obsessive himself. He'd watch every game. Maybe it's a generational thing, but it's just not true that most players don't watch football in their spare time.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 am

Power n Glory wrote:Wenger was a football obsessive himself. He'd watch every game. Maybe it's a generational thing, but it's just not true that most players don't watch football in their spare time.

These are a truly weird set of posts - players may or may not watch football in their spare time - who cares?

In the week or days leading upto a game defenders will sit through videos of the attacking players they will be facing in the next game, they will do practice sessions specifically aimed at dealing with the tactics used by those players ... not once in training would the instruction - stand back and let him run to the centre of goal and have a free shot - have formed part of the training.

Whilst our defence is repeatedly exposed by our weak midfield that defending on the Benteke goal was piss poor ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:07 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Wenger was a football obsessive himself. He'd watch every game. Maybe it's a generational thing, but it's just not true that most players don't watch football in their spare time.

These are a truly weird set of posts - players may or may not watch football in their spare time - who cares?

In the week or days leading upto a game defenders will sit through videos of the attacking players they will be facing in the next game, they will do practice sessions specifically aimed at dealing with the tactics used by those players ... not once in training would the instruction - stand back and let him run to the centre of goal and have a free shot - have formed part of the training.

Whilst our defence is repeatedly exposed by our weak midfield that defending on the Benteke goal was piss poor ....

Fine if you don’t care but some do and it shouldn't bother you to see a discussion on it in that case. Vieira made his views clear and said it does matter hence why I shared his comments. It's an opinion from someone that has played and coach's at the highest level.
Vieira's comment again below in case you missed it.

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:39 am

EliteKiller wrote:

Exactly.
I found the comments on here moronic.
At no point has BW says he doesn't study opponents.
Videos and player analysis are a key part of preparation. It will be fine with the coaches and other players, not each player watching Sky Sports at home.
So dumb.

He made a mistake by backing off.
Defenders make mistakes.
Van Dijk had made many and will make more.
The absolute comedy of linking a mistake and putting it down to a recent interview as if he wouldn't have made it if he watched Sky Sports at home. JHC. SMH.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:44 am

Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Fine if you don’t care but some do and it shouldn't bother you to see a discussion on it in that case. Vieira made his views clear and said it does matter hence why I shared his comments. It's an opinion from someone that has played and coach's at the highest level.
Vieira's comment again below in case you missed it.

Vieira made a load of mistakes too, as did Henry.

Ronaldo doesn't watch games either.
He is of a pretty high standard too.

So your Vieira link is irrelevant.
Different things work for different players.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StockGooner » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:50 am

I don't get how anyone can jump from BWs comment that 'He doesn't watch football' to 'He doesn't study opponenets, he should know their weak foot.' He doesn't need to watch Soccer aM to know hat foot Benteke is, the Arsenal coaches will show him footage to show him. He's played against him before, he knows. The same as even at Sunday League you know what footed a player is pretty quickly, and in some cases remember that player down the track later in the season.

I didn't think White did awful for the second goal, he shouldn't be diving in to the tackle and I though he forced Edouard into a shot from distance that maybe BW and Ramsdale weren't expecting so early. I would have expected him to go on a bit further and go across goal, but the shot was taken early and caught both out. Yes BW and Ramsdale could have done better but to suggest it's becuase he doesn't watch football... My oh my
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:03 am

BW, a young Arsenal player, new signing and part of a real improvement in our defence is being attacked on this site in really rather strange ways... Because of one thing and one thing only. Arteta signed him.

Let's not pretend it's anything else.

The utterly ridiculous 'watching TV' attack just confirms it.

Meanwhile, young Benjamin is playing quite well in his early career and showing real promise. I think he's a future captain.
As he continues the attacks on him will become ever more desperate. I look forward to the next ridiculous attack, though it's going to have to be a real gem to beat the latest one for comedic value.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:10 am

StockGooner wrote:I don't get how anyone can jump from BWs comment that 'He doesn't watch football' to 'He doesn't study opponenets, he should know their weak foot.' He doesn't need to watch Soccer aM to know hat foot Benteke is, the Arsenal coaches will show him footage to show him. He's played against him before, he knows. The same as even at Sunday League you know what footed a player is pretty quickly, and in some cases remember that player down the track later in the season.

I didn't think White did awful for the second goal, he shouldn't be diving in to the tackle and I though he forced Edouard into a shot from distance that maybe BW and Ramsdale weren't expecting so early. I would have expected him to go on a bit further and go across goal, but the shot was taken early and caught both out. Yes BW and Ramsdale could have done better but to suggest it's becuase he doesn't watch football... My oh my

Agree on that part in bold. I believe White has said he does study opponent footage. For me, I'm not so concerned about the technical side. It's more so a mentality and attitude I'm focused on. When a new player joins Arsenal, it's always nice to discover they grew up supporting Arsenal or to hear their dedication to football and wanting to be the best. This young group of players especially because we're hoping to build a team for the future.

On the goal, I put more blame on Sambi losing the ball and looking weak. It put us on the back foot. However, I did see another clip of Ben White and he backed off more into the box then I initially thought. White was close to the penalty spot by the time a shot was unleased which is bad defending.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:15 am

It's telling the one person who thinks White is playing well is the one with a lack of knowledge about football

He's not playing well. He's been 6/10 in one game so far. That was Norwich I think who don't attack. The rest ranges from the 3 v Brentford to 5.

This was a 4 and only cos he had a part to play in the goal
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:18 am

Power n Glory wrote:
StockGooner wrote:I don't get how anyone can jump from BWs comment that 'He doesn't watch football' to 'He doesn't study opponenets, he should know their weak foot.' He doesn't need to watch Soccer aM to know hat foot Benteke is, the Arsenal coaches will show him footage to show him. He's played against him before, he knows. The same as even at Sunday League you know what footed a player is pretty quickly, and in some cases remember that player down the track later in the season.

Agree on that part in bold. I believe White has said he does study opponent footage. For me, I'm not so concerned about the technical side. It's more so a mentality and attitude I'm focused on. When a new player joins Arsenal, it's always nice to discover they grew up supporting Arsenal or to hear their dedication to football and wanting to be the best. This young group of players especially because we're hoping to build a team for the future.

On the goal, I put more blame on Sambi losing the ball and looking weak. It put us on the back foot. However, I did see another clip of Ben White and he backed off more into the box then I initially thought. White was close to the penalty spot by the time a shot was unleased which is bad defending.

His mentality and attitude look spot on.
Much like all our new signings.
No need to worry on that score.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:09 am

Power n Glory wrote:

Don't often agree with this guy but agree on both points here.

It's nothing to do with studying the game for me, I have no doubt he does enough and I'm not questioning his quality (or lack of) because he isn't watching games. It's more a lack of passion for the game that I find weird and disappointing, does it matter? We'll never be able to actually confirm.

As for the goal, in fact both goals...each midfielder coughed up the ball too easily, Sambi worse than Partey as the latter was well closed down, but the defenders in each situation gave the striker too much room to get the shot away.

It's something we've seen for years at this club and it's never worked. Hazard scored at least 5 goals against us from the likes of Kos backing off him, as much as I rated the guy at CB. Backing off works to a point when you've got no cover but at some point (i.e. your own f***ing box) you have to engage the attacker and force his hand...if he beats you then fair enough.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:56 am

Santi wrote:Don't often agree with this guy but agree on both points here.

It's nothing to do with studying the game for me, I have no doubt he does enough and I'm not questioning his quality (or lack of) because he isn't watching games. It's more a lack of passion for the game that I find weird and disappointing, does it matter? We'll never be able to actually confirm.

As for the goal, in fact both goals...each midfielder coughed up the ball too easily, Sambi worse than Partey as the latter was well closed down, but the defenders in each situation gave the striker too much room to get the shot away.

It's something we've seen for years at this club and it's never worked. Hazard scored at least 5 goals against us from the likes of Kos backing off him, as much as I rated the guy at CB. Backing off works to a point when you've got no cover but at some point (i.e. your own f***ing box) you have to engage the attacker and force his hand...if he beats you then fair enough.

Nailed it .................
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:38 pm

In a recent interview, Mbappe mentioned how he watches as many games as he possibly can from all leagues across Europe.

It's not an issue that White doesn't watch football, per se. Some people simply treat their job as that—a job. For Arsenal, however, it's concerning because zeal is what drives footballers. There's a reason why world class players like Bale and Tevez lost interest in football and treated it as a mere job once they were set for life.

White isn't in the wrong here. For him, it's about playing and earning. More power to him. But we could say that he's the type that'd lose interest in the game sooner than other players who are religiously devoted to the game beyond just playing.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk