Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:01 pm

Still an eejut, but if he keeps this up he will get my vote.

Still not pleased he chose Xhaka over Lokonga, but its hard to be overly critical when he got the win.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:52 pm

Give credit where its due, he had the team well drilled and ready today, i wouldnt have started xhaka but he had a decent game.
Looks like the players have brought into what he is trying to do, i do however think when winning its easy to keep players happy, but shouldvyou start losing and doing that whilst dropping players for the likes of xhaka that can eat away at moral.
Hopefully today is the start of what type of performance to expect
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:55 pm

Give credit where its due, he had the team well drilled and ready today, i wouldnt have started xhaka but he had a decent game.
Looks like the players have brought into what he is trying to do, i do however think when winning its easy to keep players happy, but shouldvyou start losing and doing that whilst dropping players for the likes of xhaka that can eat away at moral.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:56 pm

VCC wrote:Give credit where its due, he had the team well drilled and ready today, i wouldnt have started xhaka but he had a decent game.

The players are clearly 100% behind him.
Even better the fans are clearly fully behind the entire club too.

Arteta is bringing it all together very well indeed.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:19 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58701378

"Arteta has so much knowledge and he had the luxury to learn from Pep [Guardiola]," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I really believe in the long term he could be the next Arsene Wenger. He is quite young, and I truly believe, given time, he will prove people wrong."

He's been given time. He's been shit. Maybe he might turn good but we can't risk waiting.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:46 pm

We don't need to risk anything at all if he brings out this kind of displays regularly.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:01 am

It's been 2 years nearly. He's shown he can't do it regularly.

How much more time does he need?

We are tenth. Not in Europe. No chance of top 4 this season.

Yeah we get the odd good result here and there but until we get consistency, it means little and 2 years on, he can't get it

Why risk more time? If he had any sense he'd walk now just after we've beaten spurs so he might have some goodwill left
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:03 am

Ach wrote:It's been 2 years nearly. He's shown he can't do it regularly.

Yeah we get the odd good result here and there but until we get consistency, it means little and 2 years on, he can't get it

Why risk more time? If he had any sense he'd walk now just after we've beaten spurs so he might have some goodwill left

:rofll:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 am

Are you guys going to do this after every game win / lose or draw?

We lose = I told you so

We win = I told you so

Its getting a bit pathetic now.

All I'm interested in till Xmas are the performances, after a culmination of performances I'll then give a conclusion.

Right now despite the great performance today, we've struggled badly for goals and our attacking has been weak, today is a step in the right direction but we haven't attacked like that in the final 3rd against a half decent team for ages.

What I will say is I'm glad the newbies have made it to first choice, they havent been broken by the Arsenal system and having a new defence / goalie has really given us a better attitude.

Last years lot (Leno, Bellerin, Mari) all to me just looked like they are here to pick up a wage, Ramsdale, Tomi etc look like they're here to fight for the badge and actually give a sht about their performance, Partey is looking like one of the best CM's in the league, dominant when he's fit.

The defence looks good, we just need the offense to click like they did today.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:43 am

Moondoggie wrote:

First of all, everyone knew -- or should have known -- that it was going to take more than 20 months to get things completely turned around (and that would have been the case no matter who was appointed, much less a first time manager). But here's a fact for you: Arteta has guided Arsenal to 56 points in the last 33 Premier League games. Klopp has led Liverpool to 51 points over the past 33 PL games. Chelsea has 55 points over the past 33 games. I mean, how much more consistency are you looking for? The Invincibles? Fifty-six points over 33 is hardly an "odd good result here and there." It's damn good. But you just want to focus on 3 games (2 against the defending league and European champions) in which Arsenal played poorly without most of their best players. Arteta might still do better than Mari and Kolasinac, but since he's the manager he's not allowed to go out there himself. Seriously, 33 games is just 5 short of an entire season playing at Top 4 level. I just don't get all the twists and turns of logic some of y''all go through to hate on Arteta. It's as though some want Arsenal to fail just so they can say "I told you so."

You mention last half of the season lol. When the pressure was off. Only pressure games we had were the cup games. Tell me how that went? As soon as the new season starts and pressure is on league games as well, we sit tenth lol.

Just shows how irrelevant last season's form after Xmas was. But you hang on to that like it's a badge of honour. No one else even cares bar the troll on here. Cherry picking at its finest here.

Not a case of wanting arteta to fail. He has failed.

You mention other managers lol. Klopp took Liverpool back in to CL in his first full season. Tuchel didn't need 20 months either. 2 managers we should have got when available.

One win v spurs and apparently everything is rosy. We also beat them last season. How did that turn out for us?

Let's get some realism back and not this rose tinted garbage
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Nuggets » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:40 am

Ach wrote:
Moondoggie wrote:

First of all, everyone knew -- or should have known -- that it was going to take more than 20 months to get things completely turned around (and that would have been the case no matter who was appointed, much less a first time manager). But here's a fact for you: Arteta has guided Arsenal to 56 points in the last 33 Premier League games. Klopp has led Liverpool to 51 points over the past 33 PL games. Chelsea has 55 points over the past 33 games. I mean, how much more consistency are you looking for? The Invincibles? Fifty-six points over 33 is hardly an "odd good result here and there." It's damn good. But you just want to focus on 3 games (2 against the defending league and European champions) in which Arsenal played poorly without most of their best players. Arteta might still do better than Mari and Kolasinac, but since he's the manager he's not allowed to go out there himself. Seriously, 33 games is just 5 short of an entire season playing at Top 4 level. I just don't get all the twists and turns of logic some of y''all go through to hate on Arteta. It's as though some want Arsenal to fail just so they can say "I told you so."

You mention last half of the season lol. When the pressure was off. Only pressure games we had were the cup games. Tell me how that went? As soon as the new season starts and pressure is on league games as well, we sit tenth lol.

Just shows how irrelevant last season's form after Xmas was. But you hang on to that like it's a badge of honour. No one else even cares bar the troll on here. Cherry picking at its finest here.

Not a case of wanting arteta to fail. He has failed.

You mention other managers lol. Klopp took Liverpool back in to CL in his first full season. Tuchel didn't need 20 months either. 2 managers we should have got when available.

One win v spurs and apparently everything is rosy. We also beat them last season. How did that turn out for us?

Let's get some realism back and not this rose-tinted garbage

I think we are so bad that when we eventually get a result some people think the clown walks on water. For me, he still needs to be gone.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:53 am

Moondoggie wrote:

Wrong, it should never have taken 2 years, all Emery and Arteta had to do was fix our abysmal defending by a little bit and we would've been back in the top 4 mix. Our offense was hot.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:58 am

theHotHead wrote:
Moondoggie wrote:

Wrong, it should never have taken 2 years, all Emery and Arteta had to do was fix our abysmal defending by a little bit and we would've been back in the top 4 mix. Our offense was hot.

You are dead wrong.
There was no quick fix to the squad that Emery left - and it was;t just about defence.
Without a change in culture and attitude, which in many instances needed new players, there could be no improvement.
It was a 5-year job to be title challengers and we're only 2 into it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:19 am

Was a decent result yesterday, first half we played well and the football was much quicker and sharper than usual, it was helped by the space we were given but nonetheless it was good.

Thought Aubameyang really looked up for it and, ESR was very good.

Tailed off in the 2nd half and Spurs had chances bur at 3-0 the game was over.

Thought Ramsdale should have done better with the save for their goal.

Very unusual NLD as Spurs just seemed very sluggish and not up for it in the 1st half, which you don’t expect in a game like that, on the plus side we seemed up for it which has been unusual for us.

Some progress yesterday but for me it doesn’t change a huge amount as one half in one game doesn’t change everything else that went before it, we’re still not in a great position in the league.

But definitely much better yesterday.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:21 am

Özim wrote:Was a decent result yesterday, first half we played well and the football was much quicker and sharper than usual, it was helped by the space we were given but nonetheless it was good.

Thought Aubameyang really looked up for it and, ESR was very good.

Tailed off in the 2nd half and Spurs had chances bur at 3-0 the game was over.

Thought Ramsdale should have done better with the save for their goal.

Very unusual NLD as Spurs just seemed very sluggish and not up for it in the 1st half, which you don’t expect in a game like that, on the plus side we seemed up for it which has been unusual for us.

Some progress yesterday but for me it doesn’t change a huge amount as one half in one game doesn’t change everything else that went before it, we’re still not in a great position in the league.

But definitely much better yesterday.

Credit to the manager, eh?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk