Benjamin White (4)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Ben White (4)

Postby starmandb » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:06 am

theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:Saliba got 7.67 in one game so it’s isn’t.

Also White played against the two bottom sides, the French teams are most likely better than those two as both those sides are awful!

Most likely?
They are not
Norwich and Burnley are better than Montpellier
Bordeaux saint etiene and lokomotive Moscow come to think of it

Starmandb ... Montpellier and Bordeaux have both won Ligue 1 in recent years, when did Burnley and Norwich last win ANY trophy ?

Ligue 1 you say?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby theHotHead » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:19 am

Yup, Ligue 1
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:23 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:The French league is decent, no doubt about that, the only ones trying to discredit it are those trying to do undermine Saliba, so many top players have come from there and there are many others currently there.

As for Arteta clearly he wasn’t honest about bringing him back as not only did he not, he bought someone else. It’s clearly a personal issue and nothing to do with this training or U23 nonsense.

Saliba is plenty good enough for the PL and to play for us. I reckon he’s got the potential to be a top CB, we need Arteta to get the boot for that happen with us though.

I sincerely hope he does so we get to see Saliba in an Arsenal shirt.

Undermine Saliba?????????
OK to undermine the entire club, though. :doh:

He's a kid who is on loan in a weaker league to try and get ready for the big time in the PL.
Let's hope he does because it is good for everyone.
If he does make it, then the credit goes to Arteta for not exposing him too early to the difficulty of the PL and properly nurturing his career.

Jay, explain to me how loaning Saliba to a French team benefits us.

It was Saliba's choice to go to a French team. He didn't want to go to a PL team. Could have been homesick, could have just been struggling, could be a very self-aware young man and knew he needed more time. Who knows?
I would have preferred he went to a PL team or stayed with us, but he didn't... and now he just needs to work on his game for Marseille.
It serves no purpose at all to use the guy to score Arteta bad points - if anything it is just going to make it harder on him when/if he comes back. Because the way he's being talked up - totally unjustified - is going to make the expectation that he's Van Dijk level from day 1. The same people playing games to score points now will be the ones blaming the next manager or Arteta (if he is still here) if Saliba comes back and is not brilliant.

Not according to the Arsenal website. An interview with Edu states:

Technical director Edu said: “William Saliba is a player with a huge amount of talent and potential. We’re confident he will have a great career with us but we must remember that he is still only 19 years old and has a lot of time ahead of him.

"William experienced a very challenging time last year, with his playing time limited by injury and the early ending of the Ligue 1 season due to the pandemic.

"So together with William, we have decided that spending the rest of the season on loan with Nice is the best way for him to develop. We will be keeping in close contact with William during his time with Nice and look forward to seeing him make good progress until the end of the season.”

An interview with Arteta states:
“In order for him to do that I think we have found the right club with him, he is very happy to go there right now and hopefully he can enjoy his football and be ready for us next season.”

The first comment is from the previous loan.

For the last word on it, listen to Saliba himself:

William Saliba on Marseille loan move: “Arsenal preferred that I go to England but I knew this was the right choice.”
At his official presentation in front of the press this afternoon, centre-back William Saliba explained his decision to join Marseille on loan, indicating that it had been a personal decision to return to France.

His words transcribed in Eurosport, the French defender explained that he had been quickly won over by the OM project after speaking to manager Jorge Sampaoli and president Pablo Longoria.

Saliba had spent last season on loan at Nice, having been at Saint-Étienne the campaign before. The youth international had been loaned back to his first club by Arsenal after a €30m move, and has since yet to break into the Gunners’ first team.

Despite his parent club favouring a move to England, Saliba has revealed that he had pushed to remain in France for the season to come.

“I’m the one who chose to go to Marseille, they [Arsenal] preferred that I go to England, but I knew that coming here was the right choice, so I really pushed for this.”

“I spoke with the coach [Jorge Sampaoli] and Pablo [Longoria, OM president], and I was quickly convinced.”

“I’m young, I’m 20 and I haven’t proven anything yet. I still have many aspects to fix and areas in which I can progress.”

In addition, read the last comment from Saliba himself.
I do not have a problem with him, only those that are using him to gin up their agenda.
The kid himself seems to have a good head on his shoulders and knows he's not the finished article yet.

It was from the from previous loan yes and Arteta said he would play the following season (this season) and he’s sent him out on loan again.

As for the 2nd bit, clearly a 20 year old has things to learn, it’s good he acknowledges that, but that doesn’t mean he’s not already very good, his performances suggest he is. As I said Fofana is the same age, from the same league and same team (and wasn’t as highly rated) and has had no problem, in fact quite the opposite he’s been very good and has found the PL fine.

You say that but it’s clear you do have an issue because you talk about selling him off and not being good enough playing in a weak league and discredit all his performances with reasons why he was apparently not that good.

You’ve made countless excuses but the truth is none stand up to scrutiny because we’ve been playing guys like Holding, Chambers and even Kolasinac at CB, even though they’ve not been good enough for years.

On top of that Saliba has been excellent on loan and the whole thing about loans is when a player performs well they come back and are given a chance, that’s how it works.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:03 am

It makes no difference if it was the first or second loan, Arsenal deemed him going to France as a worthwhile option, clearly they don't think the French league is a waste of time otherwise they wouldn't have agreed to send him there.

Every young player has plenty to learn, Cristiano Ronaldo learned shitloads at Man U, he said so himself. Saka as good as he is has shitloads to learn. So i don't think anyone can use the fact that Saliba obviously still has lots to learn as a stick to beat him with.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:08 pm

theHotHead wrote:It makes no difference if it was the first or second loan, Arsenal deemed him going to France as a worthwhile option, clearly they don't think the French league is a waste of time otherwise they wouldn't have agreed to send him there.

Every young player has plenty to learn, Cristiano Ronaldo learned shitloads at Man U, he said so himself. Saka as good as he is has shitloads to learn. So i don't think anyone can use the fact that Saliba obviously still has lots to learn as a stick to beat him with.

Of course it makes a difference.
It's half a season of development in a lower level like France and then ready to try the PL on loan.
But it was Saliba who wanted to go to France and not the PL so that is where he went. Not what the club wanted and the club were probably right... a year more in France is not going to really tell us much. I would have much preferred to see Saliba play on loan in the PL.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:11 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:The French league is decent, no doubt about that, the only ones trying to discredit it are those trying to do undermine Saliba, so many top players have come from there and there are many others currently there.

As for Arteta clearly he wasn’t honest about bringing him back as not only did he not, he bought someone else. It’s clearly a personal issue and nothing to do with this training or U23 nonsense.

Saliba is plenty good enough for the PL and to play for us. I reckon he’s got the potential to be a top CB, we need Arteta to get the boot for that happen with us though.

He's a kid who is on loan in a weaker league to try and get ready for the big time in the PL.
If he does make it, then the credit goes to Arteta for not exposing him too early to the difficulty of the PL and properly nurturing his career.

It was Saliba's choice to go to a French team. He didn't want to go to a PL team. Could have been homesick, could have just been struggling, could be a very self-aware young man and knew he needed more time. Who knows?
I would have preferred he went to a PL team or stayed with us, but he didn't... and now he just needs to work on his game for Marseille.
It serves no purpose at all to use the guy to score Arteta bad points - if anything it is just going to make it harder on him when/if he comes back. Because the way he's being talked up - totally unjustified - is going to make the expectation that he's Van Dijk level from day 1. The same people playing games to score points now will be the ones blaming the next manager or Arteta (if he is still here) if Saliba comes back and is not brilliant.

Technical director Edu said: “William Saliba is a player with a huge amount of talent and potential. We’re confident he will have a great career with us but we must remember that he is still only 19 years old and has a lot of time ahead of him.

"William experienced a very challenging time last year, with his playing time limited by injury and the early ending of the Ligue 1 season due to the pandemic.

"So together with William, we have decided that spending the rest of the season on loan with Nice is the best way for him to develop. We will be keeping in close contact with William during his time with Nice and look forward to seeing him make good progress until the end of the season.”

“In order for him to do that I think we have found the right club with him, he is very happy to go there right now and hopefully he can enjoy his football and be ready for us next season.”

William Saliba on Marseille loan move: “Arsenal preferred that I go to England but I knew this was the right choice.”
At his official presentation in front of the press this afternoon, centre-back William Saliba explained his decision to join Marseille on loan, indicating that it had been a personal decision to return to France.

His words transcribed in Eurosport, the French defender explained that he had been quickly won over by the OM project after speaking to manager Jorge Sampaoli and president Pablo Longoria.

Saliba had spent last season on loan at Nice, having been at Saint-Étienne the campaign before. The youth international had been loaned back to his first club by Arsenal after a €30m move, and has since yet to break into the Gunners’ first team.

Despite his parent club favouring a move to England, Saliba has revealed that he had pushed to remain in France for the season to come.

“I’m the one who chose to go to Marseille, they [Arsenal] preferred that I go to England, but I knew that coming here was the right choice, so I really pushed for this.”

“I spoke with the coach [Jorge Sampaoli] and Pablo [Longoria, OM president], and I was quickly convinced.”

“I’m young, I’m 20 and I haven’t proven anything yet. I still have many aspects to fix and areas in which I can progress.”

I do not have a problem with him, only those that are using him to gin up their agenda.
The kid himself seems to have a good head on his shoulders and knows he's not the finished article yet.

It was from the from previous loan yes and Arteta said he would play the following season (this season) and he’s sent him out on loan again.

As for the 2nd bit, clearly a 20 year old has things to learn, it’s good he acknowledges that, but that doesn’t mean he’s not already very good, his performances suggest he is. As I said Fofana is the same age, from the same league and same team (and wasn’t as highly rated) and has had no problem, in fact quite the opposite he’s been very good and has found the PL fine.

You say that but it’s clear you do have an issue because you talk about selling him off and not being good enough playing in a weak league and discredit all his performances with reasons why he was apparently not that good.

You’ve made countless excuses but the truth is none stand up to scrutiny because we’ve been playing guys like Holding, Chambers and even Kolasinac at CB, even though they’ve not been good enough for years.

On top of that Saliba has been excellent on loan and the whole thing about loans is when a player performs well they come back and are given a chance, that’s how it works.

Again, in Saliba's own words.

That is where Saliba is and encouragingly he knows it.
What you want from a player you loan out IS EXACTLY to play well and make a point.
For all parties concerned the club's and Saliba's decision is working out according to plan - though again, I would have preferred to see what he could do on loan to a PL club (like a Newcastle or Palace).

That's all there is to it.. kid had a lot to learn still, was loaned out and is now trying week in week out to get better.
Nothing more complicated in the story than that and happens to nearly all kids on the books of top clubs... only the ones who are incredibly special at a young age make it to the first team at 20 or below.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:45 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

What you want from a player you loan out IS EXACTLY to play well and make a point.
For all parties concerned the club's and Saliba's decision is working out according to plan - though again, I would have preferred to see what he could do on loan to a PL club (like a Newcastle or Palace).

That's all there is to it.. kid had a lot to learn still, was loaned out and is now trying week in week out to get better.
Nothing more complicated in the story than that and happens to nearly all kids on the books of top clubs... only the ones who are incredibly special at a young age make it to the first team at 20 or below.

It’s a bit more complex than that though, firstly he cost 27 million and generally players that cost that much don’t get sent on loan for what will be 2 seasons (plus left out to dry for 6 months as well).

The other thing is we’ll have basically wasted 3 years of his contract loaning him ou, again that’s unheard of for a player of that value. Let’s just assume he comes back next season, he plays one season and performs brilliantly, he has one year left on his contract and we then either get him to re-sign, but with 1 year left it becomes much harder because other clubs will be showing interest if he’s very good or we let him run down his contract.

This is exactly what we don’t want to happen.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:06 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

It’s a bit more complex than that though, firstly he cost 27 million and generally players that cost that much don’t get sent on loan for what will be 2 seasons (plus left out to dry for 6 months as well).

The other thing is we’ll have basically wasted 3 years of his contract loaning him ou, again that’s unheard of for a player of that value. Let’s just assume he comes back next season, he plays one season and performs brilliantly, he has one year left on his contract and we then either get him to re-sign, but with 1 year left it becomes much harder because other clubs will be showing interest if he’s very good or we let him run down his contract.

This is exactly what we don’t want to happen.

He'll either be good enough next year and be offered a new contract and a starting role or he'll be sold.
We just made a mistake buying him for 27m.
Probably was worth 5m for that age and ability at the time.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:33 pm

Özim wrote:Absolute rubbish to be honest, just dissing the French league for the sake of it. The PL is overrated, how do English teams do in Europe other than the top 4 and big clubs, pretty rubbish!

Norwich would not be challenging for honours, it’s laughable to think that and is led by pure bias.

Middlesbrough Fulham finals
Leeds Newcastle semi finals
Newcastle 2 quarter finals
Wolves quarter final
I didn’t say the current Norwich would be challenging for honours I believe them and Burnley would be about 8th in Ligue 1 which I believe is higher than current Bordeaux and Montpellier
starmandb

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:55 pm

starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:Absolute rubbish to be honest, just dissing the French league for the sake of it. The PL is overrated, how do English teams do in Europe other than the top 4 and big clubs, pretty rubbish!

Norwich would not be challenging for honours, it’s laughable to think that and is led by pure bias.

Middlesbrough Fulham finals
Leeds Newcastle semi finals
Newcastle 2 quarter finals
Wolves quarter final
I didn’t say the current Norwich would be challenging for honours I believe them and Burnley would be about 8th in Ligue 1 which I believe is higher than current Bordeaux and Montpellier

There is a good correlation between squad value and finishing position - not perfect but general. Funnily enough, Norwich and Burnley would have the 7th and 8th most expensive squads if they were in Ligue 1, so I would concur, that is about where they would finish each year - a bad year a bit lower down, a good year challenging for the top 4.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Brighton can go top of the table if they win game 6!!!

Currently 2 teams only with better defensive record in the league than them, Man City and Chelsea!!

Ben who?!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:33 pm

theHotHead wrote:Brighton can go top of the table if they win game 6!!!

Currently 2 teams only with better defensive record in the league than them, Man City and Chelsea!!

Ben who?!

Wow, that is a reach.
Good god... that is pretty sad.
:doh:

Funny how you mention that but don't hold your hands up at Burnley's 2 away goals tonight after downplaying our clean sheet against them.

Never understand fans bitching on our new signings which such lame crap. :dontknow:

I've bookmarked this for the end of the season. :biggrin:

EDIT : Lol, I just checked and Brighton conceded to Burnley :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:35 pm

Ben who?!

Clearly not missing "player of the season"
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:57 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Ben who?!

Wow, that is a reach.

Funny how you mention that but don't hold your hands up at Burnley's 2 away goals tonight after downplaying our clean sheet against them.

Never understand fans bitching on our new signings which such lame crap. :dontknow:

EDIT : Lol, I just checked and Brighton conceded to Burnley :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

Jay this is all about £50m bro!

Off course we will finish above Brighton but the point is, we are underperforming massively and spending stupid money on players we shouldn't be. I feel it is my duty to highlight these points
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:01 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Ben who?!

Wow, that is a reach.

Jay this is all about £50m bro!

Off course we will finish above Brighton but the point is, we are underperforming massively and spending stupid money on players we shouldn't be. I feel it is my duty to highlight these points

No, we're not - already covered that.
Our transfer business has been excellent - my duty to keep you aware of that. :biggrin:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk