Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:46 pm

Tony Adams wrote:If our only other first XI signings are Maddison and Ramsdale then I can't see Arteta still being in charge in December.

I hope i'm wrong and we're fighting for top four but just can't see it.

Arteta could be fighting for 17th and we still won't sack him. When Emery was sacked, we at least had Freddie available to step in as caretaker.

Now there's nobody. We made Arteta emperor and gave him a blank cheque to fill the squad with midtable players.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:47 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:This window and pre-season has secured that I'll be Arteta Out firmly and forever.

No chances now, why? because absolutely nothings changed and he's deluded, he doesn't even want change, Xhaka new contract, Bellerin new contract.

No new faces in the starting 11, same formation ........... same BS

He literally thinks there's nothing wrong with a team who finished 8th.

It will be a great season if the same team put together a full season of the form they've shown since Christmas.
That said - we already have one new starter in ben White. He'll start 30 games plus this year.
Sambi is likely to start quite a few games too given Partey's injury record.

You're boxing yourself into a corner saying 'Arteta Out firmly and forever'.
What if we have a good season?
I think we will, by the way.
I want to believe this but am feeling less and less confident. Arteta could do with another lockdown cos if they don't hit the ground running the atmosphere in the stadium will become toxic very quickly.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:47 pm

aniym wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:If our only other first XI signings are Maddison and Ramsdale then I can't see Arteta still being in charge in December.

I hope i'm wrong and we're fighting for top four but just can't see it.

Arteta could be fighting for 17th and we still won't sack him. When Emery was sacked, we at least had Freddie available to step in as caretaker.

Now there's nobody. We made Arteta emperor and gave him a blank cheque to fill the squad with midtable players.
BFG
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:49 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:This window and pre-season has secured that I'll be Arteta Out firmly and forever.

No chances now, why? because absolutely nothings changed and he's deluded, he doesn't even want change, Xhaka new contract, Bellerin new contract.

It will be a great season if the same team put together a full season of the form they've shown since Christmas.
That said - we already have one new starter in ben White. He'll start 30 games plus this year.

I want to believe this but am feeling less and less confident. Arteta could do with another lockdown cos if they don't hit the ground running the atmosphere in the stadium will become toxic very quickly.

I am willing to bet he knows that.
Those that are accepting of him having another season will certainly turn if we experience anything like our pre-Christmas form from last year.

We're going to know soon enough.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:05 am

jayramfootball wrote:

He hasn't changed, so why should I believe the situation is going to change?

My prediction is we'll finish 6th this season, possibly 5th at best if we're lucky depending on the teams around us, and no I don't think that means we're building toward top 4.

Top 4 teams have a strong philosophy, balanced squads and managers who know what they're trying to achieve.

Imo 6th / 5th will be the standard for Arsenal until Arteta leaves, no way he takes us into the top 4.
He's not going to out manage Klopp, Tuchel or Pep and he can't out spend Utd or attract the players they can, then you always have one outsider team have a good season, a Leciester, Everton or a Aston Villa to push us out as well.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:No they didn’t win it because they’ve got a terrible manager.

You’d be amazed the impact having a bad manager can have, France should have sacked him, sadly they kept him on.

Nah, they were just crap in the game vs Switzerland.
After thinking they'd won they decided to preen and got their asses kicked out of the tournament.
Being a great player and a great team also involves character, something the French players in the their national team lack.

That’s all down to Deschamps, good managers bring players together and make them feel like a unit and create a good atmosphere when it’s working, I feel you just don’t seem to understand that hence you always blaming the players.

Players need someone who knows what they’re doing, when they don’t they tend to look average, that’s why a top manager is crucial.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:58 am

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:No they didn’t win it because they’ve got a terrible manager.

You’d be amazed the impact having a bad manager can have, France should have sacked him, sadly they kept him on.

Nah, they were just crap in the game vs Switzerland.
After thinking they'd won they decided to preen and got their asses kicked out of the tournament.
Being a great player and a great team also involves character, something the French players in the their national team lack.

That’s all down to Deschamps, good managers bring players together and make them feel like a unit and create a good atmosphere when it’s working, I feel you just don’t seem to understand that hence you always blaming the players.

Players need someone who knows what they’re doing, when they don’t they tend to look average, that’s why a top manager is crucial.

Lol. Back to that nonsense.
Players not important, it of minor importance, in winning football matches.
Riiiiight.
Maybe football would need better as a computer game. Get rid of the players. Managers could just pit their words wits each other. Oh wait....

The French players were shit, especially the defenders.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:42 am

Lol it’s not nonsense however this placing little or no blame on the manager when it’s his job to bring success is laughable, as many people have said to you if that’s the case we should just not bother with the manager at all!

Ferguson won all those trophies but I guess it was all down to the players, never heard such nonsense.

Actually it’s to do with tactics, motivation and team / squad selection something Deschamps is awful at.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:55 am

Santi wrote:I really hope you will take the time to comprehend what I've said, because I've been pretty fed up of this board lately but taken the time now to discuss this, in what I think is a pretty fair and open manner. If it ends up coming back to the usual 'you phil and jayram are Arteta lovers' BS then I won't bother again because it just proves the lack of comprehension on here. Note, this is not an attack on you but across the board it has become a common lazy response. I've stated my position enough times but people prefer to take cheap shots for easy likes.

I do wonder when he inevitably gets sacked, will everyone move on to Auba as the main source of divide? It is baffling that for a group of fans so passionate about the same topic, in the last 10 years there always has to be a divisive topic and a source of arguments.

Fair enough, I won't bundle you in with Jay and Phil who seem to be juiced up Arteta cheerleaders.

And let me apologise for attacking you the way I did the other day, it was over the top and unnecessary, you are one of the better posters on the forum.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:02 am

theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:I really hope you will take the time to comprehend what I've said, because I've been pretty fed up of this board lately but taken the time now to discuss this, in what I think is a pretty fair and open manner. If it ends up coming back to the usual 'you phil and jayram are Arteta lovers' BS then I won't bother again because it just proves the lack of comprehension on here. Note, this is not an attack on you but across the board it has become a common lazy response. I've stated my position enough times but people prefer to take cheap shots for easy likes.

I do wonder when he inevitably gets sacked, will everyone move on to Auba as the main source of divide? It is baffling that for a group of fans so passionate about the same topic, in the last 10 years there always has to be a divisive topic and a source of arguments.

Fair enough, I won't bundle you in with Jay and Phil who seem to be juiced up Arteta cheerleaders.

And let me apologise for attacking you the way I did the other day, it was over the top and unnecessary, you are one of the better posters on the forum.

Can you explain what qualifies me as a 'juiced up Arteta cheerleader'?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:05 am

theHotHead wrote:

What utter BS.
Seriously, HH. 'juiced up cheerleaders'?
Never seen anyone cheerleading Arteta - just the majority of fans willing to give him another season and preferring to discuss the positives.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:05 am

I guess if you're not in the jerk circle of moaners you must be a cheerleader.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:07 am

Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Can you explain what qualifies me as a 'juiced up Arteta cheerleader'?

I think it's not going along with Arteta is a clown, is shit, can't do anything right, everything that is wrong is his fault and anything positive is not to his credit. Individual players do well, it's despite Arteta, Individual players do poorly, It's all down to Arteta. Every player he doesn't pick is a world star, Every player he signs is rubbish.
Don;t agree with that then you are 'juiced up cheerleader' , I guess.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:12 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
KG3 wrote:My main concern now is we are turning into Liverpool a few years back buying lots of overpriced average English players, remember when they bought Caroll, Downing, Henderson. (Tbf to Henderson he turned out to be good in the end, before klopp he was average though)

Then theirs us paying 50M for white, rumours of 30M for Ramsdale and 40M for Abraham if those other two rumours are true and we pay that money, it’ll be painful for the club for a few years like it was for Liverpool, we’ll have to get used to mediocrity for a while, I doubt we are going to get a revolutionary manager like klopp in the next few years that can fix the damage which would have been done by Arteta and Edu either.

We only bought one British player so far and he is an England international.
The English national team pretty damn good.

Don't believe the hype Jay. They are the same that they have always been - overrated. Couldn't win the championship when EVERYTHING was in their favour and they were setup to win.

If I believed the hype I would believe all these foreign players raved about as superstars were actually good - when in fact the vast majority range from average to rubbish.
Right now England are amongst the very best countries in the world at the international level.
There is a reason for it - an investment in development that started over a decade ago.
It's why England have reached a final and semi-final in the last two major tournaments.

Jay, you are having a laugh mate. This was one of the WORST England squads for an international tournament since I have been alive and interested in football (since the late 70s), they flatter to deceive, they ALWAYS fall when they reach decent opposition in the actual tournaments. Everything was set for them to win, that was the worst Italy squad that I can remember. How are England one of the best at international level ? Because they smash their qualifying groups ?!! Purlease ! England are a meat and 2 veg footie team, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Portugal, Sweden, Croatia, all European teams that have thwarted England. some of them, like Croatia, are generationally good teams, as opposed to traditionally good teams.

Its rinse and repeat when it comes to England, look good until they meet a decent team ... then they lose. The run in the Euros is continued proof of that, the run in the World Cup is continued proof also. They are not at the top level, not even close to it, its arrogance like that that makes england the laughing stock, because they ALWAYS lose after running up their mouth about how they are top level.

A semi final and a final, both tight games.
But apparently, England are not a top international side.
:dontknow:

Jay - the 2018 World Cup. England had Belgium, Panama and Tunisia in the group, they finished 2nd behind Belgium (expected) and lost the group game with Belgium (expected). They beat Columbia in R16 on penalties. They beat Sweden in the QF, they lost to Croatia in the SF

Please tell me how that progression shows England as being a top team :rofll:

They lost AGAIN to Belgium in the 3rd place play off !!

In the 2020 Euros they played all but one of their games at Wembley, no other team got home advantage to the same degree, even Italy that played all of their group games in Rome had to play the rest of their games outside of Italy. England's group consisted of Croatia, Scotland and the Czech Republic. Italy had Wales, Turkey and Switzerland. In the R16 games England faced Germany while Italy faced Austria, In the QF England faced Ukraine while Italy faced Belgium. In the SF England faced Denmark while Italy faced Spain.

So without being biased I can say the only game against top opposition England had up until the final was the Germany game. En route to the final Italy faced Belgium and Spain. Its laughable to suggest England are a top team at the moment Jay, in fact ...... :rofll:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:14 am

theHotHead wrote:

:lol: :rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk