Benjamin White (4)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: OFFICIAL: Welcome, Ben! | White joins Arsenal

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:47 pm

Ach wrote:Ah the old I'm trolling but I've been found out and put in my place so let's accuse others of trolling to save face trick

Never did that myself. Let me know if it works

You only need to look at your last 50 posts (or any 50 posts) list them and show the high percentage of baiting and trolling.
Recently you've been worse. Back to your old ways.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:36 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Meh. That £50m price tag put me off, he better be prime Maldini to win me round

Why would he need to be prime Maldini?
This is like the recent comments saying we've failed if we don't challenge for the title this year.

Because he cost £50m Jay and I don't think we should've bought him for that amount of money.

Lets be clear, I have never said he is a shit player, I just don't think he is worth anywhere near £50m. So .. to win me over, he needs to be outstanding ! Its that simple, its my subjective view on us spunking money.

Couldn't care less about the money.
I want him to make our defence better - which is not going to be easy because we have one of the best defences in the league already.
He's a top player and looked good in his limited minutes against Chelsea.
If he does well I could give a rats ass if he meets some subjective fan criteria of 'outstanding.

I don't get this trend of making it hard as possible to accept our new signings.
I am pretty sure it's because Arteta signed them.
There are times to be concerned about value for money but that is after we've seen the player play a season.

We have one of the best defences ??? We had Holding, Bellerin, Soares and Chambers who got game time last season, not to mention a gaping hole whenever Tierney didn't play. If you mean best defences because we conceded the 3rd fewest goals, ok, but to me we still have some way to go to be a good defence. The amount of times we got carved open was still alarming.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:03 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Meh. That £50m price tag put me off, he better be prime Maldini to win me round

This is like the recent comments saying we've failed if we don't challenge for the title this year.

Because he cost £50m Jay and I don't think we should've bought him for that amount of money.

Lets be clear, I have never said he is a shit player, I just don't think he is worth anywhere near £50m. So .. to win me over, he needs to be outstanding ! Its that simple, its my subjective view on us spunking money.

I want him to make our defence better - which is not going to be easy because we have one of the best defences in the league already.
If he does well I could give a rats ass if he meets some subjective fan criteria of 'outstanding.

I don't get this trend of making it hard as possible to accept our new signings.
There are times to be concerned about value for money but that is after we've seen the player play a season.

We have one of the best defences ??? We had Holding, Bellerin, Soares and Chambers who got game time last season, not to mention a gaping hole whenever Tierney didn't play. If you mean best defences because we conceded the 3rd fewest goals, ok, but to me we still have some way to go to be a good defence. The amount of times we got carved open was still alarming.

yeah - based on the number of goals conceded.
There are other considerations, but ultimately it's about how many goals we concede as a team.
It's one of the areas Arteta has improved us on.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:03 pm

Leno :hail:
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:59 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Since we’ve blown our entire budget on him when our most pressing need was a creative CM and also spent 50 million, being good isn’t enough, he needs to be Dias or Van Dijk good for that money.

Also it’s no real surprise that our defence has got better, parking the bus will do that.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Goonerred » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:11 am

Özim wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Since we’ve blown our entire budget on him when our most pressing need was a creative CM and also spent 50 million, being good isn’t enough, he needs to be Dias or Van Dijk good for that money.

Also it’s no real surprise that our defence has got better, parking the bus will do that.

The defence improved to the detriment to our attack.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:19 am

Goonerred wrote:
Özim wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Initially it did for sure.
Not recently, though.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 am

Goonerred wrote:
Özim wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Yup and thusnwe didn't improve at all

Attack game has been a joke all season cos we are a defensive side. ESR and Saka tries their best and the initial spurt we got from ESR coming in was quickly dealt with by Arteta and we went back to being shit
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:28 am

Özim wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Well, he has improved that.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:31 am

Annoyingly Jay seems to be right, if you look at this purely by numbers, the season leading up to the Boxing Day recovery and then from Boxing Day looked like this:

Played 14, Goals for 12, Goals against 18. Goals for 0.8 per game, Goals against 1.28 per game.
Played 24, Goals for 43, Goals against 21. Goals for 1.79 per game, Goals against 0.87 per game.

Its a fairly significant swing ... looking purely at the numbers, but I am sure many of us thought our gameplay was still naff and we were reliant on ESR and Saka to dig us out of holes far too much. I still had the feeling we got cut open too easily and I still thought our attack was blunt, but thats a different argument.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Goonerred » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:41 am

theHotHead wrote:Annoyingly Jay seems to be right, if you look at this purely by numbers, the season leading up to the Boxing Day recovery and then from Boxing Day looked like this:

Played 14, Goals for 12, Goals against 18. Goals for 0.8 per game, Goals against 1.28 per game.
Played 24, Goals for 43, Goals against 21. Goals for 1.79 per game, Goals against 0.87 per game.

Its a fairly significant swing ... looking purely at the numbers, but I am sure many of us thought our gameplay was still naff and we were reliant on ESR and Saka to dig us out of holes far too much. I still had the feeling we got cut open too easily and I still thought our attack was blunt, but thats a different argument.

I can't forget those two insipid performance against Villareal and Southampton in the cup.
Goonerred

Postby KG3 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Ach wrote:Yup

Saliba will be the next mega superstar for a top club and we'll still have people saying Ben White is better cos cos Arteta knows

Sounds like you when it comes to Leno and Martinez
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:18 pm

Leno was chosen over a guy who's barely played in 10 years. Shock horror
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:45 am

Ach, you know you can just say "the decision to choose Leno over Martinez was common sense but it looks like Martinez has become the better keeper".

That way you save face, you maintain your stance but don't look like someone standing in the face of a furious onslaught - but denying the onslaught exists :)
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:30 am

Has he? I watched a lot of emi last season. He was my fantasy football keeper and I take that seriously. He was excellent pre Xmas no doubt. After it, there were as many mistakes as Leno if not more but will never be highlighted on here.

I'll never forget the Martinez sets up the defence better argument which was destroyed when I showed that villa had conceded more at set pieces than we did.

I like both. Don't regret keeping Leno though
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk