Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:19 am

The harsh truth is we can't afford anyone else - we've blown the budget so that's that.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fran Solo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:50 am

aniym wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:I actually feel sorry for him, if he stays he's going to be under so much pressure to perform.

For the love of God, I hope he rejects the offer.

This has disaster written all over it.

Best case scenario would be Roma quickly make a better bid to stop him signing
second best is he rejects and Roma sign him on the cheap because they know we are stuck with him

Worst scenario is we are serious about keeping him and playing him.

There is no reason for him to sign another deal unless Edu gives him a retirement contract like he did with Willian and PEA. :hiding:

He hates Arsenal fans, doesn't he?
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:37 am

What a disaster this summer has been so far, wasted 50 million on a CB who is unproven and probably not worth more than 25-30 million, signed a couple guys from weaker league who in reality won’t be ready and will only be squad players and on top of that have failed to get rid of pretty much all the players we were desperate to see the back off.

Personally I’d have brought back Saliba and maybe Mavropanos, signed someone like Aouar and possibly taken a punt on Camavinga or gone for Bissouma, probably taken a punt on Onana even though he’s been banned until October (which isn’t ideal) and maybe Aaron’s and Silva and maybe found another backup left back, Tavarez maybe ok

Then sold the likes of Xhaka, Willock, Bellerin, Lacazette, Willian, Kolasinac, Torreira, Nketiah, AMN.

What we’ve done has been shocking.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby KG3 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:50 am

theHotHead wrote:
KG3 wrote:If we sign an upgrade like JWP and Xhaka is moved to the bench I wouldn’t mind the extension if true

Why would we need Xhaka if we sign another CM ? Elneny is a better CM than Xhaka, we have that Lokonga dude too, why pay to have Xhaka sit on the bench ?

Martinez is better than Leno

Saliba/Mavropanos are better than Holding

Martinelli is better than Willian

Balogun is better Nketiah

Anyways my point is it’s not as simple as who’s better than who, Arteta has favourites and if Xhaka gets an extension and we buy another CM on top of that it only means Elneny will be the likely candidate to go.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby KG3 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:51 am

Özim wrote:What a disaster this summer has been so far, wasted 50 million on a CB who is unproven and probably not worth more than 25-30 million, signed a couple guys from weaker league who in reality won’t be ready and will only be squad players and on top of that have failed to get rid of pretty much all the players we were desperate to see the back off.

Personally I’d have brought back Saliba and maybe Mavropanos, signed someone like Aouar and possibly taken a punt on Camavinga or gone for Bissouma, probably taken a punt on Onana even though he’s been banned until October (which isn’t ideal) and maybe Aaron’s and Silva and maybe found another backup left back, Tavarez maybe ok

Then sold the likes of Xhaka, Willock, Bellerin, Lacazette, Willian, Kolasinac, Torreira, Nketiah, AMN.

Couldn’t agree more, anyways going into this season Arteta has been backed financially and has no Europe to worry about anything less than top four and a cup should be a sacking
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Goonerred » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 am

To be honest, the more this transfer window has progressed, or not, I could see us keeping Xhaka. We probably don't have enough players to play in midfield?
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:17 am

KG3 wrote:
Özim wrote:What a disaster this summer has been so far, wasted 50 million on a CB who is unproven and probably not worth more than 25-30 million, signed a couple guys from weaker league who in reality won’t be ready and will only be squad players and on top of that have failed to get rid of pretty much all the players we were desperate to see the back off.

Couldn’t agree more, anyways going into this season Arteta has been backed financially and has no Europe to worry about anything less than top four and a cup should be a sacking

Yeah no more money excuses now, he has less games than our rivals have, he needs to be right up there.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:04 am

Rubbish
It's been a very smart window so far.

3 new players - all in positions we needed.
White is proven top class in the PL, Sambi looks an excellent buy and Tavares looks like excellent cover for Tierney + has the potential play further up.
We will, of course, have to see how they do, but to claim the summer has been a disaster before our new players have even kicked a ball for us is totally ridiculous and just more of the same BS that's been spread for the past 3 months.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:06 am

KG3 wrote:

What?
So if he gets top for but doesn't win a cup we should sack him??????

JHC. Some fans.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:08 am

Top 4 is a joke in itself, we aren't good enough regardless of manager. We should be looking to be best of the rest at this rate and then hope for someone to f**k up so we sneak 4th.

Either way 5th would be good progression after 2 poor finishing positions so I'd be fine with that. Need some more exciting football though.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:38 am

Santi wrote:Top 4 is a joke in itself, we aren't good enough regardless of manager. We should be looking to be best of the rest at this rate and then hope for someone to f**k up so we sneak 4th.

Either way 5th would be good progression after 2 poor finishing positions so I'd be fine with that. Need some more exciting football though.

Really isn't good enough.

So according to JayRam, we've sacrificed European football for what you claim is good enough as 5th place ............ which is only good enough to get us back into the Europa league!!

If that's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I don't know what is, not on your behalf, but on JayRam's.

Why would we give up the Europa spot for anything less than top 4, doesn't even make sense.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:55 am

Multiple sources reporting this now.

Arteta is an idiot.

Looks like Xhaka will be starting next season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... m-brighton
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:02 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:Top 4 is a joke in itself, we aren't good enough regardless of manager. We should be looking to be best of the rest at this rate and then hope for someone to f**k up so we sneak 4th.

Really isn't good enough.

So according to JayRam, we've sacrificed European football for what you claim is good enough as 5th place ............ which is only good enough to get us back into the Europa league!!

If that's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I don't know what is, not on your behalf, but on JayRam's.

Why would we give up the Europa spot for anything less than top 4, doesn't even make sense.

The mistake you're making is treating mine and jayrams comments as one. I don't know if he believes 5th is good enough but realistically I do.

City
Liverpool
Utd
Chelsea

Tell me which one we jump just by not having European football? It really shouldn't be such a big distraction anyway.

Now if we made a few more signings i'd be hopeful the lesser games could give us the extra boost we need but at the moment it won't be enough to make up for the squad deficit we have vs those 4 teams, nevermind Leicester and Spurs could overperform as well.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:23 pm

Özim wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Yeah no more money excuses now, he has less games than our rivals have, he needs to be right up there.

No more excuses at all. Every game we are playing this season is domestically so no tiredness excuses, we've spent big money so can't use that.

No Europe means less games so anything less than a title challenge is a failure.

Summer has been pretty rubbish indeed. Up to them to prove us wrong
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:26 pm

Ach wrote:
Özim wrote:
KG3 wrote:

No more excuses at all. Every game we are playing this season is domestically so no tiredness excuses, we've spent big money so can't use that.

No Europe means less games so anything less than a title challenge is a failure.

Summer has been pretty rubbish indeed. Up to them to prove us wrong

This is now becoming a common theme with the Arteta out brigade.
Set the bar at a level we all know can't be achieved to try and avoid looking like complete idiots if we do well this coming season.

Not going to work.
You've made it clear without any wriggle room that Arteta is 'sh*t', a 'clown', is completely responsible for everything bad at the club and can't possibly do well.
We'll see what happens now this coming season.
You should at least have the courage of your convictions instead of trying to reset the bar.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to World Football