Benjamin White (4)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: OFFICIAL: Welcome, Ben! | White joins Arsenal

Postby Ach » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Yup

Saliba will be the next mega superstar for a top club and we'll still have people saying Ben White is better cos cos Arteta knows
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:04 pm

Ach wrote:Yup

Saliba will be the next mega superstar for a top club and we'll still have people saying Ben White is better cos cos Arteta knows

Agreed, you can smell it coming from a mile off
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby NovaGB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:05 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
NovaGB wrote:I hope Saliba gets a look still next season but i'm glad that we got a less error prone ball playing CB which happens to be English.

Saliba is finished.

He'll only have a year or two left next season and he won't be re-signing.

You can't be finished before you started mate, unless hes been a cock behind the scenes Douzi style.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:49 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
NovaGB wrote:I hope Saliba gets a look still next season but i'm glad that we got a less error prone ball playing CB which happens to be English.

Saliba is finished.

He'll only have a year or two left next season and he won't be re-signing.

He never even started.
Hopefully we sell him and recoup some money.
Obviously we're not getting 27m
Very dubious transfer fee for as player not good enough to even make the squad.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 pm

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:07 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:17 pm

Really needs Arteta to come out and say "I am sorry that he cost 50 million".
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:14 am

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fran Solo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:09 am

Ach wrote:
Zenith wrote:worldsoccertalk.com

The type of player Arsenal are getting with Ben White

Arsenal have reportedly come to a £50 million (roughly $68 million) agreement with Brighton for defender Ben White. The successful move for the 23-year-old center back came after two previous bids were rejected by the Seagulls. Assuming the transfer is completed at the reported price, White will be the fifth most expensive center back in Premier League history.

A bit of a late bloomer, White received his first international call up for England at any level in May of this year. Although he did not feature in any of the Euro 2020 matches for England, he did make his international debut for his country during a friendly with Austria in June. This was followed by his first start for England four days later against Romania. England kept clean sheets in both of White’s appearances last month.

The defender has also experienced an interesting rise for club as well. White has spent three of the last four seasons on loan, playing in four different tiers in English soccer during this timeframe. In fact, he has played in League Two, League One, the Championship, and the Premier League in four consecutive years. His 2019-20 campaign for Leeds was when he started gaining recognition around the country.

White played 46 league matches for Leeds that season. It was during this campaign in which Leeds won the EFL Championship and White was awarded as the team’s Young Player of the Season, and also included in the EFL Championship Team of the Year. Leeds made attempts to sign White from Brighton on a permanent deal following their successful season together. However, the Seagulls rejected three different bids for White, including a final £25 million offer. Leeds ended up signing Robin Koch eight days later.

On paper, White will essentially be a direct replacement for the outgoing David Luiz. Although many Arsenal fans suspected that William Saliba would transition into the ‘Luiz role,’ the young Frenchman was again loaned out to gain more experience. Similar to Luiz, White likes to have the ball at his feet, make long passes, and dribble out of pressure. Very much a modern center back, White also enjoys getting up the pitch, utilizing his speed and aggression to make interceptions, and playing lots of short passes to break through opposing teams. Here are his 2020/21 Premier League averages at center back compared to Luiz and current Arsenal central defender Rob Holding.

Statistically speaking, White’s numbers do not exactly jump off the page. Among Premier League center backs, his per 90 minute ranks for the 2020/21 campaign are: 26th in tackles, 9th in interceptions, 54th in clearances (last), 52nd in aerial duels, 2nd in successful dribbles, and 34th in successful long balls. Nevertheless, as a ball-playing center back, White’s numbers somewhat compared to Manchester City’s John Stones last season.

Statistics, especially for central defenders, do not always tell the entire story though. White is just 23 and certainly has the potential to excel with Arsenal. The reigning Brighton Player of the Season obviously garnered plenty of attention over the last two summers and is highly-rated around the Premier League. Although his best position is at center back, he can also fill in at right back and even in midfield. A possible long-term partnership with fellow 23-year-old central defender Gabriel Magalhaes seems very promising for the Gunners.

Don't usually read long posts but read this and it doesn't sound promising

I stopped after reading he's a late bloomer. He's 23 FFS.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:37 am

Well let's hope it pans out, big money, young lad looking to build on a couple of promising seasons.

Let's stop crying, enjoy the signing and hope it works out without hampering our other signings.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:51 pm

So how was he
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:26 pm

Ach wrote:So how was he

I didn't watch but my mate told me that he pulled off some crazy block but then we conceded a shitty goal straight after.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:12 am

NovaGB wrote:
Ach wrote:So how was he

I didn't watch but my mate told me that he pulled off some crazy block but then we conceded a shitty goal straight after.

0:30

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:21 am

Meh. That £50m price tag put me off, he better be prime Maldini to win me round
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:25 am

theHotHead wrote:Meh. That £50m price tag put me off, he better be prime Maldini to win me round

Why would he need to be prime Maldini?
This is like the recent comments saying we've failed if we don't challenge for the title this year.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk