Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Özim wrote:How are we competing for the title exactly, we never get anywhere near the top teams.

Two 8th places doesn’t suggest we have a manager capable of competing.

Gorra good point :sneaky2:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:57 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:How are we competing for the title exactly, we never get anywhere near the top teams.

Everyone in the PL is competing for the title.
Some just have a much better chance than others.

Like I said, for us, 5th place would be a good season.

I don't think so, that's cobblers is this how we are now accepting 5th as good enough??
Nuggets

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:10 pm

Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I don't think so, that's cobblers is this how we are now accepting 5th as good enough??

5th would be a massive step up, one that I doubt Arteta can achieve with his career PPG. There are more than 5 teams that are better than us currently.

But Jayram gets it wrong when he says "we are competing for the title". We are not. League contenders don't follow the same strategies as league hanger-ons.

Utd are signing Varane and Sancho to try to win the league. We are signing Ben White and ASL and Tavares. Our priorities are not the same.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:17 pm

aniym wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

5th would be a massive step up, one that I doubt Arteta can achieve with his career PPG. There are more than 5 teams that are better than us currently.

But Jayram gets it wrong when he says "we are competing for the title". We are not. League contenders don't follow the same strategies as league hanger-ons.

Utd are signing Varane and Sancho to try to win the league. We are signing Ben White and ASL and Tavares. Our priorities are not the same.

True no matter how you spin it we are not just good enough with this clown in charge.
Nuggets

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Nuggets wrote:
aniym wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

True no matter how you spin it we are not just good enough with this clown in charge.

We're not good enough to win the title yet.
That's not an achievable target - regardless of the manager.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
aniym wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

How do you know that?
Nuggets

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 pm

Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
aniym wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

How do you know that?

Because the last time I checked Jesus Christ was not available.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:40 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
aniym wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

How do you know that?

Oh, I see and that's your answer good cope out I suppose. You can spin it all you want but the end result is the same the guy is shite.
Nuggets

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:59 pm

Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
aniym wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

How do you know that?

Oh, I see and that's your answer good cope out I suppose. You can spin it all you want but the end result is the same the guy is shite.

Right now we're improving in nearly all aspects of our play and our transfer window is looking excellent.
We're a long way from being title contenders, though. If you think there is a manager who would win the title with us now, then you are living in a dream world. There is still more to be done in the squad, much more.

Or is this you preparing yourself if we do well this season but don't win the title - Arteta will still be 'sh*t'... ?
Quick quick raise the bar just in case he's not as bad as you made out, heh?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:03 pm

Not having European football should help us, top 4 is a fair aim
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:36 pm

Yes, if the squad is properly motivated we should be in top 4. Don't think Chelsea , ManU or Spuds are any better than us. 'Pool is little better and ManCity is far ahead. But motivation and individual will to do better can take us even further. And of course there's the luck factor.
I can see ESR Tierney and Saka having no problem in performing at top level regularly, but Pepe , Auba , Partey need to step up. These guys have the ability but somethings have held them back last season. Defense have been bolstered and hope this fellow White hit the ground running. He's young , local, and playing for an elite club; so should have plenty of motivation to prove himself.
Wish to be pleasantly surprised by the new comers. Look forward to the coming season w/Plenty of optimism.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:46 pm

Emery achieved 5th place and really should have had 4th with an inferior squad.

We weren’t happy with 5th then, why would we be happy with 5th now?

Is it because we have a rubbish manager inferior to Emery perhaps? Well Emery did outperform Arteta and also knock him out of the EL with Villareal, right now everything points to Emery being a better manager, yet we sacked the guy but for some odd reason this underperformer gets a free pass.

Looking forward to another wasted season with this chump in charge. By the time we get rid of Arteta which knowing this club will be months after he should have been sacked (well it is already), we’ll be worse off than when we started, so if we’re 3-5 years away from top 4 now in Jays eyes, by the time Arteta has finished his with his wrecking ball management we’ll probably be 5-8 years away.

IMO Arteta is the worst thing to happen to this club since the Kroenkes.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:50 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
The comparisons to Wenger in 2007 are indeed inappropriate but for none of the reasons you mentioned.
It's quite simply that Wenger had been in charge for a decade at that point and was making bad decisions by that point on the squad and for those watching closely enough we were beginning the slide we would do on for the next decade.
Arteta, on the other hand, has been in charge for 18 months and is tasked with rescuing the club, not maintaining our position at the top.

Jay, the biggest rescue Arteta had to perform was caused by himself ! 15th place at Christmas 2020 !! Dreadful.

He hasn't rescued anything thus far.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
aniym wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

How do you know that?

He's right, its not achievable with the players we have. But the players we had should've made 6th place and they didn't, that's on the manager. The players we have should be competing for top 4 this season, it remains to be seen if we will. I suspect not .. again because of the manager.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:54 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Rockape wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:At the end of the day only one man can solve this and that is Arteta.

If he lets us play good football with a good style of play and game plan and we win games, every fan will be happy.

But if he continues his bumbling, bad tactics and not buying good players, when we lose its going to be all down to him and his management team.

He's been backed by Stan, he's got the players he's asking for, now he must come up with the goods.

No point moaning at people to support him, its up to him to prove himself.

I agree.
Hopefully, the 'everything is totally sh*t' theme can stop until he's actually been given a chance to prove himself!

Has he not had the chance to prove himself then?

We're stuck with him, so we have to hope he comes good.

DG nails it, but Nuggets is right…..after all , how long does anyone need to prove themselves!

That is the big question, its like how long is a piece of string. :hiding:

Depends, I think.
Any repeat of the total collapse around Nov/Dec last year would be reason to conclude he has to go.
That run ruined our season.
Outside of that, if we're not in the top 6 and touching distance of top 4 at a minimum by Christmas then we should move on from Arteta.
But with no pre-reason and in the midst of Covid, no fans, impact on transfers, etc... concluding now for a rookie manager in his first 18 months would not be sensible, especially as there were clear signs in the last 5 months of the season that we are making pretty good progress.

No thats far too much of a long leash!! If by Christmas we are not comfortably in the top 6 he needs to go! Why should we wait for another collapse before we sack him?!!

If we're in the top 6 and within touching distance of the top 4, means the season is very much alive.
We can't control how well the other teams do in 7th, 8th, 9th.
In your scenario, we might be 2nd but only 3 or 4 points ahead of 7th - so sack him because we might collapse. That would be totally stupid.
Last year I think Chelsea were only 3 points from top 4 at Christmas, but they were 8th.

They were 5th
1 point off top four
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk