Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:44 pm

Özim wrote:Please stop with the points record, points only matter over a whole season not a fraction that suits a particular argument.

Two 8th places is what he’s achieved nothing more and that’s rubbish.

I’d hedge my bets that he won’t be any better next season either, so what happens if he starts the season flying and the goes on a bad run will
you be hailing his prowess because he won a few games at the start?

No one cares about this run you talk about, Wenger this did year after year and it never amounted to a better season the following year, it’s meaningless in terms of a new season.

No.
Form, especially recent form is valid.
Apart from 2 months Arteta's points haul had been fairly good over the 18 months in charge.
I prefer to think the 2 months were an anomaly and won't be repeated.

What IS incorrect is your statement that Arteta is responsible for finishing 8th for 2 seasons. He isn't.

Two seasons ago Emery, Ljunberg and Arteta achieved 8th. Arteta helped us climb the league and did well, including winning the cup.
His first season / half season was good
Most arsenal fans recognised the good work Arteta had done, whilst also recognising the work still needing to be done.

Last season - solely Arteta in charge.
2 months of a poor points return sunk our chances.
He needs to avoid that in the coming season. That is why the run to Christmas is so important.
That is what his job hinges on and quite rightly so.

The people who actually matter DO care about the recent excellent run of form we've been on - the manager and players. They've talked about it. I am sure it will give them some confidence going into the new season, as opposed to listening to the likes of you - a 'fan' who has publicly stated that you hope we fail.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:03 pm

Phil71 wrote:'People won't have time for you if you are always complaining.'

Stephen Hawking.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 pm

Rockape wrote:Well, regardless of the exact details of how long he has left to prove himself, I am hoping the Club are already sounding out potential replacements for him. That would be good business management.

I really doubt it. Kroenkes have dug us into this hole by refusing to sign top-class professionals.

Arsenal have taken a loan to sign players this summer. It's not our self-genetated money, nor is KSE bankrolling us from their pocket. If Arteta fails this season, the next manager would have a chaotic squad that's defense-heavy. The midfield would be lacking, so would the attack.

In recent English football history, I think Arsenal is the only club where a director was able to swindle money from. We're also the only club that has a rookie manager, a rookie DoF, a CEO who's more of a financial expert than a football personnel, and the de facto head, Josh Kroenke, who has no idea how to run a European club. It's astonishing.

Ivan Gazidis is a smart man. He realized that after Wenger, Arsenal would be a club of chaos. That's probably why he f***ked off immediately after hiring Unai. Otherwise, why would he leave? He had a free-run as Arsenal's head. But he wanted no part of the post-Wenger years.

Arsenal are reaching a stage where no top manager would want to touch us unless they're desperate for a big job (á la Mourinho). We have to hope that Arteta turns it around, or the Kroenkes simply sell Arsenal to capable/passionate investors.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:08 pm

Angelito wrote:
Rockape wrote:Well, regardless of the exact details of how long he has left to prove himself, I am hoping the Club are already sounding out potential replacements for him. That would be good business management.

I really doubt it. Kroenkes have dug us into this hole by refusing to sign top-class professionals.

Arsenal have taken a loan to sign players this summer. It's not our self-genetated money, nor is KSE bankrolling us from their pocket. If Arteta fails this season, the next manager would have a chaotic squad that's defense-heavy. The midfield would be lacking, so would the attack.

In recent English football history, I think Arsenal is the only club where a director was able to swindle money from. We're also the only club that has a rookie manager, a rookie DoF, a CEO who's more of a financial expert than a football personnel, and the de facto head, Josh Kroenke, who has no idea how to run a European club. It's astonishing.

Ivan Gazidis is a smart man. He realized that after Wenger, Arsenal would be a club of chaos. That's probably why he f***ked off immediately after hiring Unai. Otherwise, why would he leave? He had a free-run as Arsenal's head. But he wanted no part of the post-Wenger years.

Arsenal are reaching a stage where no top manager would want to touch us unless they're desperate for a big job (á la Mourinho). We have to hope that Arteta turns it around, or the Kroenkes simply sell Arsenal to capable/passionate investors.

Good post spot on
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:14 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:Please stop with the points record, points only matter over a whole season not a fraction that suits a particularly argument.

I’d hedge my bets that he won’t be any better next season either, so what happens if he starts the season flying and the goes on a bad run will

No one cares about this run you talk about, Wenger this did year after year and it never amounted to a better season the following year, it’s meaningless in terms of a new season.

No.
Apart from 2 months Arteta's points haul had been fairly good over the 18 months in charge.

What IS incorrect is your statement that Arteta is responsible for finishing 8th for 2 seasons. He isn't.

Two seasons ago Emery, Ljunberg and Arteta achieved 8th. Arteta helped us climb the league and did well, including winning the cup.
Most arsenal fans recognised the good work Arteta had done, whilst also recognising the work still needing to be done.

He needs to avoid that in the coming season. That is why the run to Christmas is so important.

The people who actually matter DO care about the recent excellent run of form we've been on - the manager and players. They've talked about it. I am sure it will give them some confidence going into the new season, as opposed to listening to the likes of you - a 'fan' who has publicly stated that you hope we fail.

No.

Last seasons form is totally unrelated to this season, it’s not valid at all, it’s totally irrelevant and it’s been shown time and time again in history, many times under Wenger, from the previous season is irrelevant, I’m not sure how anyone can argue against that when it’s been proven without doubt over the years.

I don’t know who these people are to be honest, I never speak to them, never see them post or hear from them, if they do exist they’re very few and far between.

I don’t think we’ll fail or want us to, I know we’ll fail because I know Artera is a rubbish manager he’s proved it in the last 18 months with his dreadful brand of football, abysmal man management and awful ability to rate players who lack ability and discard others that do.

Plus if I’m honest this summer has been a very poor transfer summer thus far.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:17 pm

Angelito wrote:

Pretty much except I have no faith Arteta can turn it around, appointing him was a catastrophic mistake which will cost us longer term in the form of lack of transfer funds.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:24 pm

Angelito wrote:
Rockape wrote:

You're right, but there is a big middle ground between Arteta-level managers and Pep/Zidane/Klopp.

There's Emery, who got Top 6, gave youth players chances, and didn't rock the boat money-wise.

There's Ancelotti, who spends money, but generally plays entertaining football

There's Benitez and Nuno, midtable managers who play struggle football but have done well with very limited funds.

Honourable mentions for Bielsa and Conte, but both of them would be too extreme for Arsenal's soft culture, both at the executive level and at the training ground.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:00 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:Please stop with the points record, points only matter over a whole season not a fraction that suits a particularly argument.

No.

No.

Last seasons form is totally unrelated to this season, it’s not valid at all, it’s totally irrelevant and it’s been shown time and time again in history, many times under Wenger, from the previous season is irrelevant, I’m not sure how anyone can argue against that when it’s been proven without doubt over the years.

I don’t know who these people are to be honest, I never speak to them, never see them post or hear from them, if they do exist they’re very few and far between.

I don’t think we’ll fail or want us to, I know we’ll fail because I know Artera is a rubbish manager he’s proved it in the last 18 months with his dreadful brand of football, abysmal man management and awful ability to rate players who lack ability and discard others that do.

Our 2021 form is good. It's a factual statement not open for debate. Also not open for debate is the fact that the club do care about it. As a fan of this club, I am hopeful it brings some confidence and helps continue our run for the rest of the year and we're in good shape come Christmas time with a decent chance to push on.

:arsenal3:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:20 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

No.

No.

Our 2021 form is good. It's a factual statement not open for debate. Also not open for debate is the fact that the club do care about it. As a fan of this club, I am hopeful it brings some confidence and helps continue our run for the rest of the year and we're in good shape come Christmas time with a decent chance to push on.

Form does not come and go per a calendar year. I don’t think you understand how form works.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:24 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

No.

No.

Form does not come and go per a calendar year. I don’t think you understand how form works.

Form comes and goes.
We ended the season on great form over a sustained period.
I hope it continues and there is reason to believe it will.
Not much more complicated than that.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:03 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

No.

No.

Form comes and goes.
We ended the season on great form over a sustained period.
I hope it continues and there is reason to believe it will.
Not much more complicated than that.

There is nothing like 2021 form. Just because we had a couple of decent weeks at the start of the year does not mean it will continue in September or October.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:16 am

jayramfootball wrote:Our 2021 form is good. It's a factual statement not open for debate. Also not open for debate is the fact that the club do care about it. As a fan of this club, I am hopeful it brings some confidence and helps continue our run for the rest of the year and we're in good shape come Christmas time with a decent chance to push on. :

Our 2021 form would not have made top four - that is a fact - these are the points per game for just 2021

City 2.5
Utd 1.95
West Ham 1.91
Chelsea 1.9
Arsenal 1.86

So whilst you can say are form was good so what? are you saying that West Ham will be better than us next season? or that Liverpool will be worse? simply based on the second half of last season? are you sure about that?

Right now every pundit, AI-bot, journalist has us somewhere between 5th and 10th in their predictions ... sadly that's about right.

One of the biggest perceived weaknesses is our inexperienced manager and our very unbalanced squad ... whilst the squad can and we hope will be improved, Arteta needs another three or four seasons to gain that experience he should have gained before we ever signed him ....

Those are the facts - having a decent run when other sides were focusing on CL or Domestic Cups - sorry that's just smoke and mirrors.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:09 am

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Our 2021 form is good. It's a factual statement not open for debate. Also not open for debate is the fact that the club do care about it. As a fan of this club, I am hopeful it brings some confidence and helps continue our run for the rest of the year and we're in good shape come Christmas time with a decent chance to push on. :

Our 2021 form would not have made top four - that is a fact - these are the points per game for just 2021

City 2.5
Utd 1.95
West Ham 1.91
Chelsea 1.9
Arsenal 1.86

So whilst you can say are form was good so what? are you saying that West Ham will be better than us next season? or that Liverpool will be worse? simply based on the second half of last season? are you sure about that?

Right now every pundit, AI-bot, journalist has us somewhere between 5th and 10th in their predictions ... sadly that's about right.

One of the biggest perceived weaknesses is our inexperienced manager and our very unbalanced squad ... whilst the squad can and we hope will be improved, Arteta needs another three or four seasons to gain that experience he should have gained before we ever signed him ....

Those are the facts - having a decent run when other sides were focusing on CL or Domestic Cups - sorry that's just smoke and mirrors.

We are targeting 15 mins away from top six :rofll:
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:48 am

The guy's record is shite Sad how some people have settle for mediocre, is that the norm now. We got rid of a better manager for this clown.
Nuggets

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:19 am

EliteKiller wrote:

City 2.5
Utd 1.95
West Ham 1.91
Chelsea 1.9
Arsenal 1.86

5th would be a good season.
It would show good progress.
Top 4 would be great, but i always thought it would take 3-5 years and a squad overhaul to be regular top 4 contenders again.

As for what I am saying, I have made that clear on several occasions.
That we are in good form in 2021 so far does not mean it will continue. Of course not. Never said that.

I said that I hope we continue our good form and I think there is reason to believe we will.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk