Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:49 pm

Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Rockape wrote:Well, regardless of the exact details of how long he has left to prove himself, I am hoping the Club are already sounding out potential replacements for him. That would be good business management.

...if something like that leaks it's not good business management at all. It's destructive.

It's business, they will surely have somebody lined up when / if they get rid of him.

Yeah, but this is Arsenal we're talking about. When we sacked the last guy there was nobody in the pipeline besides Arteta. Ljungberg's battlefield promotion went horribly, and he's not even at the club anymore.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:51 pm

theHotHead wrote:Alas I think Jay is right on this, they have backed their manager thus far ..... but a piece of me says they have a contingency plan if it goes tits up.

He's only had 18 months in HH - and when you look at his time, results-wise he's only had a major issue for a short period of 2 months. Other than that it's been OK to good. That short period of time even includes a trophy.

He took us from a mess two seasons ago up the league and held one of the best pts records in the league from the time he joined to the end of the season and won that trophy. Then the next year, we started ok, then had what can only be described as a complete meltdown for 7 games or so that killed the season, but he recovered it to the point were one of the best teams in the league points-wise in the second half of the year.

Now there were certainly a lot of contributing factors to us reversing the per Christmas position last year - some (not all) outside of Arteta's influence, but nevertheless I look at his actual results and apart from a terrible spell of 2 months (in 18), there is no real reason to sack the guy. If we were going to sack him, it should have been done Mid December 2020 - and if we had done, he probably could not have complained.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:57 pm

Please stop with the points record, points only matter over a whole season not a fraction that suits a particular argument.

Two 8th places is what he’s achieved nothing more and that’s rubbish.

I’d hedge my bets that he won’t be any better next season either, so what happens if he starts the season flying and the goes on a bad run will
you be hailing his prowess because he won a few games at the start?

No one cares about this run you talk about, Wenger this did year after year and it never amounted to a better season the following year, it’s meaningless in terms of a new season.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:59 pm

aniym wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Rockape wrote:Well, regardless of the exact details of how long he has left to prove himself, I am hoping the Club are already sounding out potential replacements for him. That would be good business management.

...if something like that leaks it's not good business management at all. It's destructive.

It's business, they will surely have somebody lined up when / if they get rid of him.

Yeah, but this is Arsenal we're talking about. When we sacked the last guy there was nobody in the pipeline besides Arteta. Ljungberg's battlefield promotion went horribly, and he's not even at the club anymore.

Yes exactly, we never proactive, we’re reactive and very slowly reactive at that.

History shows us there’s never a plan in place with the Kroenkes.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:59 pm

Özim wrote:Please stop with the points record, points only matter over a whole season not a fraction that suits a particular argument.

I’d hedge my bets that he won’t be any better next season either, so what happens if he starts the season season flying and the goes on a bad run will

No one cares about this run you talk about, Wenger this did year after year and it never amounted to a better season the following year, it’s meaningless in terms of a new season.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 pm

As an Arsenal fan you need to be hopeful,otherwise jump from top of the roof.
There have been barren runs before and will be afterwards. It is hope that keeps every proper fan going.
Unless you follow Real, Barca or Bayern, there aren't guarantees of silverware anywhere.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:17 pm

Özim wrote:Please stop with the points record, points only matter over a whole season not a fraction that suits a particular argument.

I’d hedge my bets that he won’t be any better next season either, so what happens if he starts the season flying and the goes on a bad run will

This, the clown has been worse than Emery who had a better overall win percentage. I am glad Emery stuck it to the clown in Europe.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:36 pm

ag6789 wrote:As an Arsenal fan you need to be hopeful,otherwise jump from top of the roof.
There have been barren runs before and will be afterwards. It is hope that keeps every proper fan going.
Unless you follow Real, Barca or Bayern, there aren't guarantees of silverware anywhere.

We don’t want guarantees, we want to see tangible progress and some sort of plan.

I see none of that with Arteta, the whole thing is a mess and he’s completely cutting out certain players for the sake of it and then spending huge fortunes or relatively untested individuals.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:42 pm

Nuggets wrote:

This, the clown has been worse than Emery who had a better overall win percentage. I am glad Emery stuck it to the clown in Europe.

Exactly worse than Emery and yet Emery got sacked and this guy gets to stay. He’s also had far more backing than Emery ever did which makes it worse.

I didn’t hear to many wanting Emery to stay before he was sacked.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 pm

Özim wrote:
Nuggets wrote:

Exactly worse than Emery and yet Emery got sacked and this guy gets to stay. He’s also had far more backing than Emery ever did which makes it worse.

I didn’t hear to many wanting Emery to stay before he was sacked.

To be honest I would rather we kept Emery and gave him more time.
Nuggets

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:45 pm

Emery would have guaranteed a return to CL, if not Top 4. He made 5/5 finals and 4/5 wins. Not to mention he'd do a job with Saliba and Willock instead of holding out his hat for £50m players.

Instead of backing him, we threw in our lot with a guy who convinced Willian he could win the CL in 3 years, then took us out of Europe in 1.
Last edited by Highbury Hillbilly on Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:48 pm

aniym wrote:Emery would have guaranteed a return to CL, if not Top 4. He made 5/5 finals and 4/5 wins. Not to mention he'd do a job with Saliba and Willock instead of holding out his hat for £50m players.

Instead of backing him, we threw in our lot with a guy who convinced Willian he could win the CL in 3 years, then took us out of Europe in 1.

Very true, the word mug springs to mind, we should have kept Emery.
Nuggets

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:39 pm

'People won't have time for you if you are always complaining.'

Stephen Hawking.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby KG3 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:48 pm

Nuggets wrote:
aniym wrote:Emery would have guaranteed a return to CL, if not Top 4. He made 5/5 finals and 4/5 wins. Not to mention he'd do a job with Saliba and Willock instead of holding out his hat for £50m players.

Very true, the word mug springs to mind, we should have kept Emery.

Never got the backing he deserved, we stuck with Wenger through his bad periods, we stuck with Arteta through the most awful period in Arsenal history, but the moment Emery had a bad period we were quick to ship him out like idiots
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:00 pm

Phil71 wrote:'People won't have time for you if you are always complaining.'

Stephen Hawking.

“Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil”

The Three Wise Monkeys.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023