Emile Smith Rowe (10)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Emile Smith Rowe (32)

Postby Paddy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:51 pm

Its not been the same since dein left.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Angelito » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:27 pm

Wait, are you guys suggesting that van Persie wanted to stay at Arsenal, but it was the club that didn't want him and pushed him out?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:47 pm

RVP wanted the club to match his ambitions. Wenger promised him stuff (in terms of competing/transfers) and it turned out Wenger was full of .... so he left. That's my take on it.

Ironic, because I'm pretty sure Vieira left due to the club's lack of ambition, ie trying to replace Bergkamp with some unknown kid called Van Persie.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:01 pm

Angelito wrote:Wait, are you guys suggesting that van Persie wanted to stay at Arsenal, but it was the club that didn't want him and pushed him out?

That's not my stance. RVP is just another example of us handling business wrong and choosing to sell to Man Utd. We could have stood by our word, not sold and just allowed the chips to fall where they fall because he still had a year left on his contract. We knew Utd would win the league because of RVP and still went ahead with the deal.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:07 pm

Tony Adams wrote:RVP wanted the club to match his ambitions. Wenger promised him stuff (in terms of competing/transfers) and it turned out Wenger was full of .... so he left. That's my take on it.

Ironic, because I'm pretty sure Vieira left due to the club's lack of ambition, ie trying to replace Bergkamp with some unknown kid called Van Persie.

Vieira, Henry, Cesc and Van Persie all had the similar views on the lack of ambition from the club. It's the same perspective most Arsenal fans have about our transfers strategy, owners and direction of the club overall. If it's not acceptable to the fans, I don't know why people think it's acceptable to players who have high aspirations and came here because they once believed we were aiming high as well.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:44 pm

Yeah lots of players questioned our ambition, they were correct of course, we lacked ambition then and do now. We have since we left Highbury to be honest, replacing quality players with kids without even allowing them to learn from these guys first was a terrible decision.

The sales of Vieira, Henry were terrible too, they were sold for Peanuts, as were RVP and Cesc.

On the pitch it all started to go wrong when Wenger decided he wanted to build Barcelona lite with small technical players and got rid of all that power and physicality that made us so successful.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:49 am

swipe right wrote:Laughable to think Wenger would not offer him a new contract after all those years of patience. Patience with his rape allegations, patience with his fitness, patience with turning him into a center forward. And then once he makes it, dumping him? Nope. Not having it. Anyone who followed the club that season knows how important it was to hold on to him.

What patience? Rape allegations? What does that have to do with RVP if someone falsely accuses him of rape? Wenger never made RVP, he was always a top talent.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:51 am

Tony Adams wrote:RVP wanted the club to match his ambitions. Wenger promised him stuff (in terms of competing/transfers) and it turned out Wenger was full of .... so he left. That's my take on it.

Its exactly this, hence the open letter, he wouldn't have bothered if he just wanted to go, he didn't want to go but felt he had no choice.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:18 pm

Fabregas left quietly out of respect for Wenger. RVP publicly gave Arsenal fans the 411 about what was happening behind closed doors.

I still think we would have penny-pinching well into 2010s had RVP's exit not woken up the fanbase. Remember the boos ringing out across the Emirates after the 1-3 loss to Villa on opening day in 2013? We had only signed Sanogo at that point. But mere days later, out of nowhere, we announced Ozil.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Paddy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Villa have come back with 30m apparently

Give them ESR + 50m for grealish.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm

Nooooooo, I like ESR, he was a consistent performer. Lets keep ESR and buy Grealish!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 pm

aniym wrote:Fabregas left quietly out of respect for Wenger. RVP publicly gave Arsenal fans the 411 about what was happening behind closed doors.

I still think we would have penny-pinching well into 2010s had RVP's exit not woken up the fanbase. Remember the boos ringing out across the Emirates after the 1-3 loss to Villa on opening day in 2013? We had only signed Sanogo at that point. But mere days later, out of nowhere, we announced Ozil.

Also add the big sponsorship deal announcement and Gazidis making it clear we could afford to sign big players on big wages. It had everyone excited at the start of the summer but the season kicked off with the usual incompetence.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Paddy wrote:Villa have come back with 30m apparently

Give them ESR + 50m for grealish.

Get in. Villa sell Griealish for 80 mil to City and buy his replacement for 30 mil. Well done.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Paddy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 pm

Makes you wonder why they've come back for a 2nd bid

If we told them no chance first time round then why would they come back? Unless we didn't...
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:08 pm

Paddy wrote:Makes you wonder why they've come back for a 2nd bid

If we told them no chance first time round then why would they come back? Unless we didn't...

Because Villa are having a party at our expense, basically trying to show the football world that they're more senior than us.

They took Buendia now they're after ESR, even when we told them no, its like they're trying to rub it in.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk