2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:36 pm

Today it is not so good, tomorrow will be better and day after tomorrow, much much better. Have patience Amigos.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:53 pm

theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Our last big name signing was PEA 3.5 seasons ago. The others have been mostly disastrous. We are seriously overrating the pull we have.

I'll tell you why thats not the case, because when Liverpool were winning nothing at all for years, their history enabled them to buy the same sort of players we need right now. History counts, the size of the club counts, we haven't become nobodies just because we are not in Europe and because we haven't won a league title for a while. It doesn't work like that ! Same with Man U, hadn't won anything significant for 30 years or so but still attracted the best players.

.................. there is one major difference in each of your examples though, Liverpool got Klopp and Utd got SAF.

Those teams did not have the calibre of players they went on to have before they joined, those managers created those dynasties from their own moulding and winning teams attract the best players.

Also Arsenal has never been in a position with so much competition, the old dynasties of Arsenal, Utd and Liverpool now have Chelsea and City to contend with among others in Europe.

We as an established well paying club are still a pull, but our competitors also pay well and can offer Europe and are not in a mess either.

............. to put an end to this, the proof is in teh pudding so to speak, lets see who we actually sign first before declaring us a draw or not.

We'll get our answers over coming weeks, but if failing to secure Buendia over Villa and our top targets being the likes of Neves then its not looking promising is it?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:45 am

Buendia signing for Villa slightly dents the history argument. For us at least. If it were Utd, Chelsea, City, Barca making a bid, I doubt Buendia would have signed for Villa.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:46 am

History is based on a time when there were just three mega clubs Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal ... that ended when the EPL kicked in and it became all about the money Utd and Arsenal remained top two then along came Chelsea and City, it wasn't until FSG came along that Liverpool got back in the money game ...

Now Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and even the Spuds all pull in more money than us ... history counts for very little compared to cold hard cash.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:06 pm

EliteKiller wrote:History is based on a time when there were just three mega clubs Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal ... that ended when the EPL kicked in and it became all about the money Utd and Arsenal remained top two then along came Chelsea and City, it wasn't until FSG came along that Liverpool got back in the money game ...

Now Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and even the Spuds all pull in more money than us ... history counts for very little compared to cold hard cash.

Spurs and Liverpool are spending less than us !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:09 pm

This thread took a very pathetic turn all of a sudden.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:32 pm

theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:History is based on a time when there were just three mega clubs Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal ... that ended when the EPL kicked in and it became all about the money Utd and Arsenal remained top two then along came Chelsea and City, it wasn't until FSG came along that Liverpool got back in the money game ...

Spurs and Liverpool are spending less than us !

But they're getting the players they want though, that's the main issue.

Also they may be spending less because they don't have to over pay to get players to come, another issue of being a less attractive destination.

I don't even know why this is a discussion, its obvious, too many people hanging on to this "We're a big club idea" yet take a look at what's actually happening.

If Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea were after the same player ............ where's that player going to end up? case closed.

We just lost out against Aston Villa, the answer is obvious.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:53 pm

We've been payiing way over the odds on salaries for the past few years, which has compensated for our lack of pull. Around 2017 we started going nuts with mega-contracts for Lacazette, Mhikytaryan, Ozil, PEA, Partey, Pepe and Willian.

That's why Mhikytaryan left for free, and why there are no offers for Laca. Even last season, Chelsea were the only club willing to take on Auba's wages.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:14 pm

theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Our last big name signing was PEA 3.5 seasons ago. The others have been mostly disastrous. We are seriously overrating the pull we have.

I'll tell you why thats not the case, because when Liverpool were winning nothing at all for years, their history enabled them to buy the same sort of players we need right now. History counts, the size of the club counts, we haven't become nobodies just because we are not in Europe and because we haven't won a league title for a while. It doesn't work like that ! Same with Man U, hadn't won anything significant for 30 years or so but still attracted the best players.

Were Liverpool as bad as this? They were winning. They won the UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup and were still a Top 4 team in the days of Houllier and Owen in the late 90s/2000s. Even managed to finish 2nd once.

They were able to get Rafa who was a proven winner in La Liga with Valencia. They then went on to win the Champions League, almost won the CL twice in fact, won an FA Cup and stayed in the Top 4. That combo of a good manager and performances is what got players like Torres, Suarez and Mascherano.

They made money selling those players, reinvested, some were duds and sold more players. The Kenny Dalglish and Rodgers season were probably the low moments but even Rodgers was able to get them to 2nd, helpwd establish Sterling and got performances out of Suarez. Not tank their valuation. That money helped fund Klopps squad and they spent well. They spent a ridiculous amount on players that weren't on any of the top clubs radars. None were household names at the time.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:55 pm

Maybe the recent big money arrivals like Pepe (72 mil), Partey(47mil), and Gab Meghalese (47 mil) aren't that bad and taking time to settle down. Maybe in the coming season they'll start to flourish.
Maybe our strike force of Auba, Laca and Martinelli will again find their touch and will get the important goals to win the games we have been losing or tieing marginally.
I still think our strike force, a mix of youth and experience( accumulated carefully over 3 yrs), when in top gear, will cause problems for everyone.
I will do a reset, and wait for the new season. Though like to see a top quality CM amongst the bunch.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:09 pm

ag6789 wrote:Maybe the recent big money arrivals like Pepe (72 mil), Partey(47mil), and Gab Meghalese (47 mil) aren't that bad and taking time to settle down. Maybe in the coming season they'll start to flourish.
Maybe our strike force of Auba, Laca and Martinelli will again find their touch and will get the important goals to win the games we have been losing or tieing marginally.
I still think our strike force, a mix of youth and experience( accumulated carefully over 3 yrs), when in top gear, will cause problems for everyone.
I will do a reset, and wait for the new season. Though like to see a top quality CM amongst the bunch.

Gabriel M cost £23m, not £47m, and IMO has been our standout signing from last summer. No complaints from me; he's been a bargain!

As for Pepe, I think he's hit his ceiling under our current set up. He is not at all the profile of player Arteta would want in that role, but he got chances because he was our main attacking threat when sideways-ball wasn't working.

Partey I'm worried will turn into the new Xhaka once Xhaka leaves.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 pm

Paddy wrote:
starmandb wrote:What I don’t think is acceptable is for every Tom dick and Harry to have a pop at the Arsenal and it to be taken as gospel
No ceiling on my expectations for Arsenal and I am far from happy with how things are
I don’t feel the need to dive in on every negative. Misery never lacks company.
It’s the default protection position
I enjoy supporting Arsenal

yes we should be happy about finishing 8th two seasons in a row. how dare we!

I’m delighted with finishing 8th
That’s exactly what I said
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby swipe right » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:13 am

starmandb wrote:
Paddy wrote:
starmandb wrote:What I don’t think is acceptable is for every Tom dick and Harry to have a pop at the Arsenal and it to be taken as gospel
No ceiling on my expectations for Arsenal and I am far from happy with how things are
I don’t feel the need to dive in on every negative. Misery never lacks company.
It’s the default protection position
I enjoy supporting Arsenal

yes we should be happy about finishing 8th two seasons in a row. how dare we!

I’m delighted with finishing 8th
That’s exactly what I said

You’d throw tantrums when Wenger finished fourth, I might remind you.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:55 am

ag6789 wrote:Maybe the recent big money arrivals like Pepe (72 mil), Partey(47mil), and Gab Meghalese (47 mil) aren't that bad and taking time to settle down. Maybe in the coming season they'll start to flourish.

The problem is Auba is 31 and out of contract in two years, his resale value is nothing ... Laca is 30 and out of contract in 12 months he will leave on a Free, that just leaves Martinelli who is only 19 .... 28 EPL games and 4 goals he's still learning.

So whilst next season that front three 'might' prove very successful and that's a big gamble, at the end of the season we will have two over 30's players with no value and a 20 year old .... the cost to replace will be 120m or more with zero income.

It's this short term glory-hunting that is taking us down an ever deeper spiral ... sure we 'might' scrape through 2022 but then we're truly fecked.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:21 am

EliteKiller wrote:

The problem is Auba is 31 and out of contract in two years, his resale value is nothing ... Laca is 30 and out of contract in 12 months he will leave on a Free, that just leaves Martinelli who is only 19 .... 28 EPL games and 4 goals he's still learning.

So whilst next season that front three 'might' prove very successful and that's a big gamble, at the end of the season we will have two over 30's players with no value and a 20 year old .... the cost to replace will be 120m or more with zero income.

It's this short term glory-hunting that is taking us down an ever deeper spiral ... sure we 'might' scrape through 2022 but then we're truly fecked.

We are trully fecked now lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk