The decline of Arsenal FC

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Low point from which we'll bounce back, or our new reality?

We'll bounce back
36%
This is our new reality
64%

Total votes : 33

Re: The decline of Arsenal FC

Postby Phil71 » Sun May 16, 2021 4:36 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:So lots of reporting that Leno, Xhaka, Willian, Luiz and Bellerin all want to go.

Also Laca will want out because we won't offer him a Golden parachute contract.

The fact that Willian is willing to walk away from guaranteed retirement money just shows how low down we are, that is the ultimate slap in the face.

Laca either wants out or has been told he's no longer wanted..

I have been told from a reliable source he's put notice in on his rented house.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby firfi » Sun May 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:So lots of reporting that Leno, Xhaka, Willian, Luiz and Bellerin all want to go.

Also Laca will want out because we won't offer him a Golden parachute contract.

The fact that Willian is willing to walk away from guaranteed retirement money just shows how low down we are, that is the ultimate slap in the face.

Laca either wants out or has been told he's no longer wanted..

I have been told from a reliable source he's put notice in on his rented house.

Amazing. Now we're probably gonna spend some money on striker instead of using Balugun and we'll forget to purchase midfielder or left/right back.Like we always do we keep ourselves short in some positions.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Sun May 16, 2021 5:42 pm

Finally we are being ruthless to get rid of deadwood and people still using it as a negative stick lmao. If you ever needed proof that GW ''fans'' just want to moan...there it is.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby firfi » Sun May 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Santi wrote:Finally we are being ruthless to get rid of deadwood and people still using it as a negative stick lmao. If you ever needed proof that GW ''fans'' just want to moan...there it is.

Getting rid of the deadwood and bringing new wood in?Like Mari , Cedric and Willian right?
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Ach » Sun May 16, 2021 5:49 pm

Cedric dear god

Willian lol

Mari has been bang average

We can't give Arteta more money.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Sun May 16, 2021 5:50 pm

firfi wrote:
Santi wrote:Finally we are being ruthless to get rid of deadwood and people still using it as a negative stick lmao. If you ever needed proof that GW ''fans'' just want to moan...there it is.

Getting rid of the deadwood and bringing new wood in?Like Mari , Cedric and Willian right?

Mari is a good defender
Cedric is fine as a backup full back which he was brought in to be
Willian is shit and being sold after 1 failed season - showing they are willing to cut losses and admit mistakes.

What exactly is the problem? :think:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby firfi » Sun May 16, 2021 5:56 pm

Santi wrote:
firfi wrote:

Mari is a good defender
Willian is shit and being sold after 1 failed season - showing they are willing to cut losses and admit mistakes.

All 3 of them are shocking. They wouldn't fit in any squad of the top of the table. We have AMN and Chambers that can cover right back. Cedric isn't much better. Mari good defender yea sure if he's good then Rob Holding is good also and we have some sort of good defence then.Mari is only good for cover ,but not for a starter same with Rob.
And yes i know we don't have the money to spend on all positions and stuff , but we're drilling a bigger hole by allowing relatively high wages on some players that are just squad players.
Last edited by firfi on Sun May 16, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Sun May 16, 2021 5:56 pm

Santi wrote:
firfi wrote:

Mari is a good defender

Cedric has no place playing for Arsenal, as support or otherwise. Mari I agree is decent.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 am

I'm glad they're going.

The issue is its being reported that they're jumping ship, we're not clearing out deadwood,, those are the reports anyway.

A lot of these guys in fact all of them are Arteta favourites, if it were down to him all of them would still be here.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Mon May 17, 2021 3:45 am

The issue is that we've stacked the salary budget with deadwood for whom we will get a mere fraction of their replacement costs

Laca - 10m a year final year of contract - let's be madly optimistic and say we get 25m
Auba - 13m a year two years on his contract - no chance anyone will pay us to take that contract on 0m
Willian - 10m a year two years on his contract - no chance anyone will pay us to take that contract on 0m
Xhaka - 5.5m a year two years of contract - let's be madly optimistic and say we get 15m
Luiz - 6.5m a year final out of contract

So on the plus side we can free up 45m a year in salary ... that will pay for five decent players

On the negative side we will lose 5 senior squad players for just 40m .... we would need to buy five squad players two strikers, two midfield players and a defender just to stand still .... that's 250m any day of the week, where is that money coming from? and we'd still need at least another two defenders to have any chance of top six ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby firfi » Mon May 17, 2021 4:57 am

EliteKiller wrote:The issue is that we've stacked the salary budget with deadwood for whom we will get a mere fraction of their replacement costs

Laca - 10m a year final year of contract - let's be madly optimistic and say we get 25m
Auba - 13m a year two years on his contract - no chance anyone will pay us to take that contract on 0m
Willian - 10m a year two years on his contract - no chance anyone will pay us to take that contract on 0m
Xhaka - 5.5m a year two years of contract - let's be madly optimistic and say we get 15m

So on the plus side we can free up 45m a year in salary ... that will pay for five decent players

On the negative side we will lose 5 senior squad players for just 40m .... we would need to buy five squad players two strikers, two midfield players and a defender just to stand still .... that's 250m any day of the week, where is that money coming from? and we'd still need at least another two defenders to have any chance of top six ....

We need young and relatively cheap players. Players that cost 5-10m that we can turn into assets.For a very long time we look for the short term to puchase and get old players on high wages or players on the free and put them on high wages and then we don't have an asset ,but a burden.We need players like Guendouzi ,but they need to be coached better.
We can't go from 9th to 4th in a season its unrealistic. The gap is way too big.From Manager which we have probably the worst in the league to so much deadwood.I can't believe this is third manager that picks that Xhaka guy , when i see him i wanna kill myself.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby EliteKiller » Mon May 17, 2021 5:22 am

firfi wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:The issue is that we've stacked the salary budget with deadwood for whom we will get a mere fraction of their replacement costs

We need young and relatively cheap players. Players that cost 5-10m that we can turn into assets.For a very long time we look for the short term to puchase and get old players on high wages or players on the free and put them on high wages and then we don't have an asset ,but a burden.We need players like Guendouzi ,but they need to be coached better.
We can't go from 9th to 4th in a season its unrealistic. The gap is way too big.From Manager which we have probably the worst in the league to so much deadwood.I can't believe this is third manager that picks that Xhaka guy , when i see him i wanna kill myself.

I hear you but that just makes us the same as everyone from West Ham down ... whilst it's great to buy - develop - use your own talent if you have to compete against City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea (and I fear Spurs as well now) who can just buy the finished products ... then unless you have a 'fluke' season the best you can hope for is 6-10th place .... that's the reality of money driven football.

Just look at any league in Europe to see that played out .... so whilst you dreams of buying cheap players who will all develop into world beaters ... sadly it's just a dream, we will struggle to keep the few 'world beaters' we are developing right now ... if we can't compete finacially then we can't compete.

Under Kroenke we have spent more on salary than all bar City, Chelsea and Utd .... now we find ourselves behind Liverpool as well with Spurs catching up fast.

The problem hasn't been paying enough money it's been wasting it - finding diamonds in the rough, that's just a pipe-dream - We simply need to buy better quality players.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goonerred » Mon May 17, 2021 7:30 am

I'm not sure better quality players will come to Arsenal right now.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby firfi » Mon May 17, 2021 3:46 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
firfi wrote:

I hear you but that just makes us the same as everyone from West Ham down ... whilst it's great to buy - develop - use your own talent if you have to compete against City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea (and I fear Spurs as well now) who can just buy the finished products ... then unless you have a 'fluke' season the best you can hope for is 6-10th place .... that's the reality of money driven football.

Just look at any league in Europe to see that played out .... so whilst you dreams of buying cheap players who will all develop into world beaters ... sadly it's just a dream, we will struggle to keep the few 'world beaters' we are developing right now ... if we can't compete finacially then we can't compete.

Under Kroenke we have spent more on salary than all bar City, Chelsea and Utd .... now we find ourselves behind Liverpool as well with Spurs catching up fast.

The problem hasn't been paying enough money it's been wasting it - finding diamonds in the rough, that's just a pipe-dream - We simply need to buy better quality players.

The real issue is we didn't have someone in charge and i don't think we still have anyone that knows how the transfer business work . Every year we get older players or players on a free like Kolasinac on insane wages ,because that's the only way we can bring them to the club and then if they are not world beaters its not possible to sell them.Like paying Ozil that 350k salary after Alexis left.We were left in a situation if he didn't perform(Also i don't like him at all and i don't believe he was world class player that can drag the club forward by himself) with a player that's unsellable and instead of having 4 players on okay salary we have 1 that we don't even use for years and years.

And i know that that's not the way(buying players on the cheap and hoping they become good), but with players on insane wages that don't deserve them we are forced into a situation there is no coming out of it as winners.We either keep offering insane wages ,because thats the only way we can get decent players now or we sack that current squad and just try to build for the next few years to become stronger out of this situation.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Rockape » Mon May 17, 2021 4:02 pm

Goonerred wrote:I'm not sure better quality players will come to Arsenal right now.

.....and thats just half of the problem! The other half is the supply and demand issue. There are a lot of Clubs with money demanding the best players, but the supply of these 'quality' players is virtually non existent!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk