Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 14, 2021 10:52 am

Özim wrote:Yeah these supposed good runs in isolation are a waste of time,a season isn’t played over 20 games!

Plus even if this is a good run, nobody can recognise it as we’ve really been pretty poor, scraped wins with poor performances when you’re already so far behind do so much for you.

We got knocked out of all 3 cup competitions, lag in midtable in the league, we’re largely awful in the EL other than the odd match (seem to be a trait of his team), frankly I couldn’t care less about some pointless run that hasn’t even been impressive to watch in the latter part of the season, in that time we’ve continued to lose important matches.

All I know is it’s the worse season I can remember, even in the 2nd part of the season it’s been awful, the fact he’s been getting so much criticism from everyone tells you it’s not been good.

Most seasons a club will get knocked out of all 3 cup competitions - unless your standard is winning one every year. No club does that.
As for scraping wins - well a win is a win. It used to be seen as a good thing to win when not playing well.

You are right that a run of 22 games is not a full season and it's the full season that ultimately counts.
If we were another couple of years on, then I would be less interested in signs of consistency and form over long periods within a season, but right now I am looking for signs of improvement, not the finished article of a team challenging for titles.

Given where we are as a club, your expectation of a quick fix is unrealistic IMO.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 14, 2021 11:01 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Wenger's Coat wrote:The season did not start at Christmas.

If next season we are dogsh*t in first half of season and sit 17th at Christmas, but then have a blinder second half of the season and recover to 8th, is that going to be another encouraging run of 22 games in your book, Jayram? Reason to be positive and give Arteta yet another season?

Where does it end? How is a manager who finishes mid table after swinging wildly between bottom and top better than one that spends the entire season in mid table?

Look, is it possible that Arteta will have a much better season next year? Of course. Lots of things are possible. Is it likely? Not on the evidence of the last 18 months.

Around the same time last year it was the same thing. Our post Christmas form was good once Arteta took over, top 4 I think. The thinking back then was that we could have finished in the Top 4 if Arteta had a full season. Well...he has had a full season now. Here we go again.

It was always the case with Wenger, we would have our February/March collapse and go out of every competition, than rally towards the end of the season, qualify for Europe then Yaaaay happy days !

It is actually true that we seem to have a period most every season where we go through some terrible form.
Been happening for years - which tells me this is a player and metal issue at the club that is not going to be fixed overnight.

Every club has a bad spell throughout a season. Take away Liverpool and Man City's anomolie seasons where they got over 100pts, even they have bad spells. City started the season with a bad spell !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:Yeah these supposed good runs in isolation are a waste of time,a season isn’t played over 20 games!

Plus even if this is a good run, nobody can recognise it as we’ve really been pretty poor, scraped wins with poor performances when you’re already so far behind do so much for you.

We got knocked out of all 3 cup competitions, lag in midtable in the league, we’re largely awful in the EL other than the odd match (seem to be a trait of his team), frankly I couldn’t care less about some pointless run that hasn’t even been impressive to watch in the latter part of the season, in that time we’ve continued to lose important matches.

All I know is it’s the worse season I can remember, even in the 2nd part of the season it’s been awful, the fact he’s been getting so much criticism from everyone tells you it’s not been good.

Most seasons a club will get knocked out of all 3 cup competitions - unless your standard is winning one every year. No club does that.
As for scraping wins - well a win is a win. It used to be seen as a good thing to win when not playing well.

You are right that a run of 22 games is not a full season and it's the full season that ultimately counts.
If we were another couple of years on, then I would be less interested in signs of consistency and form over long periods within a season, but right now I am looking for signs of improvement, not the finished article of a team challenging for titles.

Given where we are as a club, your expectation of a quick fix is unrealistic IMO.

Seriously dude. What are you doing? You know he’s not up to the task. Why are you being argumentative just for the sake of it?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 14, 2021 11:45 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Seriously dude. What are you doing? You know he’s not up to the task. Why are you being argumentative just for the sake of it?

I genuinely do not know that he is not up to it - despite having some reservations.
I am concerned that the fans , who can influence the board, seem to be over reacting and we'll end up in a worse place.
Whilst I can see signs of improvement, which are definitely there, I am happy for Arteta to have another season.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Fri May 14, 2021 2:37 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I genuinely do not know that he is not up to it - despite having some reservations.
I am concerned that the fans , who can influence the board, seem to be over reacting and we'll end up in a worse place.
Whilst I can see signs of improvement, which are definitely there, I am happy for Arteta to have another season.

Signs of improvement? We are finishing ninth in one of the weakest premier league seasons of the last few years. We got knocked out of Europe by the guy we fired with a weaker squad. There has been literally no pressure on this guy because there aren’t any fans in the stadium and he doesn’t get to hear or see their frustration.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 pm

Arteta not being sacked is effectively rewarding failure, especially when you consider money will be spent on the squad. When will this nightmare end ......
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Nuggets » Fri May 14, 2021 6:41 pm

theHotHead wrote:Arteta not being sacked is effectively rewarding failure, especially when you consider money will be spent on the squad. When will this nightmare end ......

:clap:
How low can this club get? :(
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby KG3 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Arteta not being sacked is effectively rewarding failure, especially when you consider money will be spent on the squad. When will this nightmare end ......

The fact that all these players want put Luiz, Xhaka Bellerin, Willian etc long term veterans for us/other clubs shows that Arteta is the main problem not the players.

You can’t tell me that clubs like West Ham, Everton, Leicester have far superior squads than us
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat May 15, 2021 6:51 pm

Nuggets wrote:

If we're still playing Arteta sht ball next season then expect another 10th / 9th / 8th finish, obviously we have no Europe.

Can you believe we are in a time when West Ham and Leicester have CL and Europa football while we watch from the sidelines?

Big club right?

The owner and his cone boy rookie manager are an embarrassment.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat May 15, 2021 7:24 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Nuggets wrote:

If we're still playing Arteta sht ball next season then expect another 10th / 9th / 8th finish, obviously we have no Europe.

Can you believe we are in a time when West Ham and Leicester have CL and Europa football while we watch from the sidelines?

Big club right?

We were still a big club when we did not qualify for Europe in all these seasons
When others did
95/96
Notts for/ Leeds
92/93
Sheffield weds/ Leeds
84/85
Southampton/ qpr
83/84
Watford / Notts Forest
80/81
Wolves/Ipswich
76/77
Derby/ qpr
75/76
Aston Villa/qpr
74/75
Ipswich/ derby
73/74
Sunderland/Ipswich
72/73
Stoke/Leeds
I still think we can get into Europe anyway
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby VCC » Sat May 15, 2021 8:08 pm

starmandb wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Nuggets wrote:

Big club right?

We were still a big club when we did not qualify for Europe in all these seasons
When others did
95/96
Notts for/ Leeds
92/93
Sheffield weds/ Leeds
84/85
Southampton/ qpr
83/84
Watford / Notts Forest
80/81
Wolves/Ipswich
76/77
Derby/ qpr
75/76
Aston Villa/qpr
74/75
Ipswich/ derby
73/74
Sunderland/Ipswich
72/73
Stoke/Leeds

Forrest won 2 european cups back to back, leeds has won a european cup and in the 90s season before being relegated played in the semi, both of those in the time mentioned were big clubs
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby starmandb » Sat May 15, 2021 8:38 pm

VCC wrote:
starmandb wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Nuggets wrote:

Big club right?

When others did
95/96
Notts for/ Leeds
92/93
Sheffield weds/ Leeds
84/85
Southampton/ qpr
83/84
Watford / Notts Forest
80/81
Wolves/Ipswich
76/77
Derby/ qpr
75/76
Aston Villa/qpr
74/75
Ipswich/ derby
73/74
Sunderland/Ipswich
72/73
Stoke/Leeds

Forrest won 2 european cups back to back, leeds has won a european cup and in the 90s season before being relegated played in the semi, both of those in the time mentioned were big clubs

Leeds won the fairs cup twice but never won the European cup
Yes Leeds have been a big club but have had periods of transients that we have not
I know it’s strange because Nottingham Forest won 2 European cups and for a time were Liverpool’s main challengers in everything
But it was a moment in time when they were a big team rather than a big club
A provincial club with an outstanding manager and a set of players perfectly in tune
Big club status is not lost because of being out of Europe
We were very poor in the mid 70’s
Man Utd even went down
Were still big clubs though
starmandb

Postby ag6789 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:08 pm

Arsenal were pretty poor throughout the '60s too. Think we had just one 4th place finish (68-69?) and no cup wins. Really bad decade overall.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 15, 2021 10:09 pm

Im with Starmandb on the classification of a big club. We might be going through a bad patch but we are still absolutely a big club, it will take years of not being competitive, not winning and a massive drop in attendances to relegate us from being a big club.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 15, 2021 10:09 pm

KG3 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:

The fact that all these players want put Luiz, Xhaka Bellerin, Willian etc long term veterans for us/other clubs shows that Arteta is the main problem not the players.

You can’t tell me that clubs like West Ham, Everton, Leicester have far superior squads than us

None of those squads have better squads than us!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk