Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Salibatelli » Mon May 10, 2021 6:49 am

Power n Glory wrote:To get these sort of shots off, he needs to play on the right. Last two Europa League games he was played on he left so he was crossing the ball more instead of positioning himself to shoot.

12 goals and 5 assists is an improvement this season.

I think he’s done ok, been very much in and out of the team, even after he’s scored in a previous match he’s often been left out of the following game.

This method doesn’t allow players to get some form together, as you mention he’s more productive on the right as well as that’s where he’s at his best, this season it’s been too stop start, despite this his return is decent.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 10, 2021 6:51 am

Ach wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Ach wrote:Best player for us in Europe this season.

Expecting big things next season

We're not in Europe next season so don't expect much from him

I'm keeping the faith. Seen enough to think that

Agreed, he has the talent and he has visibly upped his workrate. I'd like to see what he can do under a decent manager.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 10, 2021 6:51 am

billie86 wrote:Again another player like partey who I think would be totally different under a better manager.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 10, 2021 6:53 am

KG3 wrote:
billie86 wrote:Again another player like partey who I think would be totally different under a better manager.

Guys had 3 managers here lol don’t think they’re the problem

What 3 managers ?? Emery. Ljyungberg and Arteta ? :rofll:

3 managers who were not better than a shit Wenger ? if you say so.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 10, 2021 6:55 am

KG3 wrote:
billie86 wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Guys had 3 managers here lol don’t think they’re the problem

Freddie was a stop gap but under arteta and Emery the whole team have looked poor, I don't believe all our team can be as poor as they have looked under both managers, look how poor partey looked tonight against Villarreal for example, dude has been playing champions League football and bossing midfields against the likes of Barca and Madrid in La liga, I'm not having it that he's come to arsenal and left his ability in Madrid. Pepe ruined PSG when he was in France but has been largely average here give or take glimpses of talent, I have heard that arteta is constantly telling players where to run, how to play and they have no freedom on the pitch, maybe this is hindering certain players.

Lacazette, Aubameyang and Ramsey were all quality under Emery

Then we got to see the new talents such as Martinelli, Saka and ESR so I dunno what you’re on about, maybe you’re confusing emery’s time here for mikels

Yes, the same Emery that shipped Elneny out and kept Xhaka. The same Emery who managed to do WORSE defensively than a shit Wenger who paid NO MIND to defending (i.e. Wenger paid no mind to defending). The same shit Emery who was sacked for being shit.
Last edited by theHotHead on Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 10, 2021 7:04 am

swipe right wrote:I’d play him like Ranieri used to play Mahrez. Keep him in an advanced position starting wide ideally in the space behind the advancing opposition full back and cutting in. He can go one v one with the center back, play in the CF or curl those beauties in. He’s not as versatile as Saka who can drop into midfield.

Exactly correct. This f***ing obsession everyone has with making offensive players defend all the time drives me crazy. He has tekkers, let him cause havoc in offensive positions, teams will have to double up on him because he is so tricky. In 87 Arsenal games he has contributed to 35 goals, its a goal every 150 mins, through all the turmoil of manager changes, being dropped and acclimatising to a new league, its not a bad return at all.

Now think what he could do with a decent manager.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon May 10, 2021 7:12 am

This obsession with having attacking players defend is the reason why we barely create f all. I'm not saying they should just stand by and let opposition player run past them with the ball but no one does that anyway.

Let them free

Arteta should've been sacked after the Liverpool game for making Auba play as a LB tracking Trent all game. Seriously wtf.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon May 10, 2021 7:34 am

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:To get these sort of shots off, he needs to play on the right. Last two Europa League games he was played on he left so he was crossing the ball more instead of positioning himself to shoot.

I think he’s done ok, been very much in and out of the team, even after he’s scored in a previous match he’s often been left out of the following game.

This method doesn’t allow players to get some form together, as you mention he’s more productive on the right as well as that’s where he’s at his best, this season it’s been too stop start, despite this his return is decent.

Far too much switching, chopping and changing under Arteta. The defenders keep changing, the midfield combos as well. It doesn't help.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Mon May 10, 2021 8:30 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:

Far too much switching, chopping and changing under Arteta. The defenders keep changing, the midfield combos as well. It doesn't help.

Very true, the trick to getting some success is trying to keep some continuity, to have as settled a first 11 as possible, that doesn’t mean not making changes but they should be minimal and players in form should play.

Arteta just changes players all the time unless you’re one of his few favourites in which case you’ll get an extended run regardless of performances.

That comment about Xhaka sums him up, he’s clueless and too stubborn for his own good, Xhaka is poor as full back (he’s poor in midfield too!), the fact Arteta trusts him there just shows how he just doesn’t know what he’s doing.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Mon May 10, 2021 9:52 am

If Arteta had a bit of guts and cajoles he could have built such an attacking and versatile squad. He could have used an attacking trio of Auba, Pepe and Ozil with Ozil linking the midfield to the two advanced forwards one playing through the center and the other cutting in. Play Saka on the opposite flank as the forward that doubles up in midfield as the extra man and two aggressive ball winning CMs like Partey +1. Honestly it is a crying shame that Wenger is not managing this squad. There is a lot of attacking talent here going waste.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 10, 2021 11:20 am

But you don't even need to yearn for Wenger for a decent attack, we had a decnet attack under Emery. I can't believe Arteta is making such a cluster f**k of our attack !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 am

theHotHead wrote:But you don't even need to yearn for Wenger for a decent attack, we had a decnet attack under Emery. I can't believe Arteta is making such a cluster f**k of our attack !

But I do yearn, and some times I pine.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon May 10, 2021 1:46 pm

The mid-table Robben. He will always pose a threat when cutting in from the right, but needs too much space to take the shot. These goals won't get scored against better teams.

That being said, he has scored several goals in exactly this way when played on the right. He is close to useless on the left because he can't get the bend he needs to beat the keeper. Leave that side of the field to Tierney, Saka and Willian.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Wed May 19, 2021 6:37 pm

13 this season. Imagine if he was managed properly
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Nuggets » Wed May 19, 2021 6:42 pm

A decent manager could really bring the best out of him.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to World Football