No Europe next season

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: No Europe next season

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 07, 2021 9:27 pm

Rockape wrote:
However, that does not mean I expect even half our problems to be solved by sacking him

Santi.....we agree on most thing AFC and I hear you on this. It’s not about solving all our problems, it’s about getting someone in with a clear tactical vision, based on the players we have and the ones he can bring in.

Arteta has had his chance, but we need to replace him. I’m aware, there are no guarantees, but I am confident the we are guaranteed to be mediocre under his management.

We're not guaranteed to be mediocre under anyone's management.
We could be worse, we could be better.
I am betting on better.
Just don't think it's all quite as gloomy as is being made out.
It's just the loss of a semi final and the fear of not being in Europe has people rather edgy.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 07, 2021 9:57 pm

jayramfootball wrote:The thing is I remember the Auba contract situation.
Same sh*t on here.
Now you along with the others who went all-in on that look like fools.
Don't think I haven't noticed how many involved in that hilarity have been quite reticent to get involved in the debate as the season has unfolded.

I went all on the goals vs RVP, I didn't go all in on us signing Auba, yes I thought that was the best course of action because the alternative was a phantom striker you knew we couldn't buy as all we could get was Partey on deadline day, your downfall was proposing us buy another striker ........... with zero funds.

Oh and of course you recognise the same posters .......... because it was 95% of the forum ffs.

You are funny.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 07, 2021 10:06 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:The thing is I remember the Auba contract situation.
Same sh*t on here.
Now you along with the others who went all-in on that look like fools.
Don't think I haven't noticed how many involved in that hilarity have been quite reticent to get involved in the debate as the season has unfolded.

I went all on the goals vs RVP, I didn't go all in on us signing Auba, yes I thought that was the best course of action because the alternative was a phantom striker you knew we couldn't buy as all we could get was Partey on deadline day, your downfall was proposing us buy another striker ........... with zero funds.

Oh and of course you recognise the same posters .......... because it was 95% of the forum ffs.

You are funny.

Nah - you were wrong on the RVP numbers too.
I remember the specific change to the debate.
Are we doing it again?

..and yeah, you were all in on the Auba contract.

Look, I actually don't really give a f**k. I find it funny.
Sometimes we are all wrong - I was supremely confident we'd beat Villareal and we didn't. Ah well. Chalk up a loss.
On Auba, though - I was simply right.
Wasn't 95% of posters, though. Some disagreed and simply left it at that without the nonsense.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 07, 2021 10:09 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Well, Jay have a look around the blogs, opinions from ex players, coaches and people that spend years analysing the game and let me know if you find any that say the tactics weren't a problem.

If you are going to use the views of the masses of 'pundits' then make sure you actually understand what is being said to you.

so overall the tactics were fine - maybe not even right, but fine for the night against the opposition we faced.

This is self-evident by the fact we had the lions share of possession, our goalkeeper had almost nothing to do, we missed good chances and had nearly double the amount of chances Villareal did.

Don't give me popular opinion driven by emotional reactions - give me a valid answer to my challenge that the tactics were fine, even if not right, because but for some missed chances we'd have won the game.

Jay we had pointless possession and Villareal were shit. Putting those 2 together, considering we had 2 damn shots on target and failed to score all while looking absolutely dreadful, its clear to me that the tactics and system were the problem, not the players.

Yet another game where we looked woefully inept. We never looked this bad under Emery or Wenger, so how can it possibly be the players at fault?!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 07, 2021 10:14 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Well, Jay have a look around the blogs, opinions from ex players, coaches and people that spend years analysing the game and let me know if you find any that say the tactics weren't a problem.

If you are going to use the views of the masses of 'pundits' then make sure you actually understand what is being said to you.

so overall the tactics were fine - maybe not even right, but fine for the night against the opposition we faced.

This is self-evident by the fact we had the lions share of possession, our goalkeeper had almost nothing to do, we missed good chances and had nearly double the amount of chances Villareal did.

Don't give me popular opinion driven by emotional reactions - give me a valid answer to my challenge that the tactics were fine, even if not right, because but for some missed chances we'd have won the game.

Jay we had pointless possession and Villareal were shit. Putting those 2 together, considering we had 2 damn shots on target and failed to score all while looking absolutely dreadful, its clear to me that the tactics and system were the problem, not the players.

Yet another game where we looked woefully inept. We never looked this bad under Emery or Wenger, so how can it possibly be the players at fault?!

That doesn't make any sense HH.
If the tactics were inadequate we'd not have created 14 chances. That we didn't get them on target is not an issue with tactics. It's not as if they were all long potshots.
We'd also not have been largely untroubled defensively if our tactics were so bad.
Once again - I don't think the tactics were spot on at all, they could have been better, but just not the reason we failed to score and go through.

I do think there are a lot of Gooners who are going to wake up in a few days and think 'shit, did I really freak out that much over the EL loss?'
I've been watching some of the reaction online - including AFTV. Nothing against those guys at all but it was f***ing hilarious. The amount of tactical experts we have as fans is astounding. I am sure Arsenal will be flooded with CVs if and when Arteta leaves.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

No Europe next season

Postby Wenger's Coat » Sat May 08, 2021 2:58 am

Wow, Jayram! Prodigious post output! Hats off.

Ok. Let’s say it’s the players’ fault. We need better players then. I don’t see Arteta having the gumption or the vision to clear out the dross. Arteta certainly lacks the reputation to attract better players. So we need a new manager who actually has some weight in the game to refresh the squad.

As for EL, every competition we are in we should be aiming to win. Would I rather win PL than EL? Of course. But we are in no position to turn up our noses at EL. It’s not like our trophy cabinet is full to the bursting with European trophies. Maybe if we had 13 CLs to our name, we could scoff at EL. But we don’t.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby swipe right » Sat May 08, 2021 3:34 am

How any one can say losing to Villarreal in the EL semi is not a disaster is beyond me. This is the most significant occurrence in the past 20-30 years at Arsenal. It means we are no longer a European club. If we cannot get back into Europe in a hurry our stock will continue to fall. If ventures like the ESL are revived over time, which they inevitably will, we won’t be considered as participants.

This idiot, Kroenke, needs to realize how this is a tipping point in the club’s affairs. We need a clear out of the management team with a seasoned CEO, DoF and Manager being appointed. We need a real board who will advise the owners on footballing matters. We need a massive injection of cash to fill gaping holes in our midfield. Else we are in deep deep trouble.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Sat May 08, 2021 3:38 am

jayramfootball wrote:That doesn't make any sense HH.
If the tactics were inadequate we'd not have created 14 chances. That we didn't get them on target is not an issue with tactics. It's not as if they were all long potshots.
We'd also not have been largely untroubled defensively if our tactics were so bad.
Once again - I don't think the tactics were spot on at all, they could have been better, but just not the reason we failed to score and go through.

I do think there are a lot of Gooners who are going to wake up in a few days and think 'shit, did I really freak out that much over the EL loss?'
I've been watching some of the reaction online - including AFTV. Nothing against those guys at all but it was f***ing hilarious. The amount of tactical experts we have as fans is astounding. I am sure Arsenal will be flooded with CVs if and when Arteta leaves.

Whilst I agree our tactics weren't that terrible, those tactics combined with some very average players allowed a team that, by any estimation are both financially and squad wise a level or two below us, to not only knock us out but to do so on merit. This was no smash and grab 180 minute shock they used what they had to great effect, simply better than we did.

Gooners will wake up thinking 'shit' maybe not at one loss but at the way that loss, and our mid-table position, wasn't a shock but was almost expected, we are where we are because right now that's our level, that's why we think "oh shit".

Looking ahead, no European football on the back of two seasons of substantial losses is exactly what we didn't need. Not only will we have problems attracting the very best players we will have to pay them huge sums to sign and give then huge contracts to stay, how's that been working out?

Tactics are simple enough, use your superior skills to beat the opposition, problem is we have a trainee manager, an inferior defence, an inferior midfield and whilst a superior attack it's an attack that's very much past it's best before date.

That's a lot of things to fix at a time when we've just lost a major income source - so 'shit' is being nice - maybe 'deep shit' is more appropriate.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 am

jayramfootball wrote:

That's an odd thing to say. Projecting perhaps? Is that why you won't look this stuff up for yourself?

You can look up the post game analysis from Ljunberg and Keown if you want. Two men that know more about football than everyone here.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 08, 2021 7:20 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That doesn't make any sense HH.

Mate, what chances did we create?? What top saves did the keeper make? Our chances were not clear chances. We had 14 shots, 7 off target and 5 were blocked, 2 hit the post. I don't remember a chance where i thought "he has to score!!".

We okayed predictably boring football with little to no counter attacks because we slowed every opportunity of one down and resorted to shots on goal at the edge of the box/just inside the box in desperation.

Its like the Spurs game when we had 30 or so crosses to nobody, it was pointless!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat May 08, 2021 7:30 am

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2021/05/07/xg-arsenal-villarreal-1-08-0-33-europa-league-semifinal-second-leg-shots-map-expected-goals-stats/

1.08 xG. No real quality chances. Best chance of the night fell to ESR which is reflected in the charts.

Zenith posted this quote yesterday.

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 08, 2021 7:31 am

I don't understand how Jay can ignore the analysis of pretty much everyone!! To a man they have all called out the same issues. If Arteta doesn't f**k up the first leg the second leg becomes a walk in the park. Villareal were no threat, the only threat would come as I predicted FROM OURSELVES!!

How are you gonna shoot yourself in the foot from the get go with a stupid line up?!!! How are you going to handicap yourself in the biggest 2 games of your season?

Then in the second leg when you are chasing the game, the first half was so slow and dire you do NOTHING to put some urgency into the team. Martinelli should have started, put some fire up them from the off, with Auba there too thats 2 lots of big pain for them to worry about.

The tactics were shit the lineup was questionable, the in-game management was abysmal.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 08, 2021 7:33 am

Power n Glory wrote:http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2021/05/07/xg-arsenal-villarreal-1-08-0-33-europa-league-semifinal-second-leg-shots-map-expected-goals-stats/

1.08 xG. No real quality chances. Best chance of the night fell to ESR which is reflected in the charts.

Zenith posted this quote yesterday.

Exactly!! The quality of chances wasn't great. Even that ESR chance was difficult because he had no time and a load of bodies in front of him!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat May 08, 2021 9:47 am

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:That doesn't make any sense HH.

Whilst I agree our tactics weren't that terrible, those tactics combined with some very average players allowed a team that, by any estimation are both financially and squad wise a level or two below us, to not only knock us out but to do so on merit. This was no smash and grab 180 minute shock they used what they had to great effect, simply better than we did.

Gooners will wake up thinking 'shit' maybe not at one loss but at the way that loss, and our mid-table position, wasn't a shock but was almost expected, we are where we are because right now that's our level, that's why we think "oh shit".

Looking ahead, no European football on the back of two seasons of substantial losses is exactly what we didn't need. Not only will we have problems attracting the very best players we will have to pay them huge sums to sign and give then huge contracts to stay, how's that been working out?

Tactics are simple enough, use your superior skills to beat the opposition, problem is we have a trainee manager, an inferior defence, an inferior midfield and whilst a superior attack it's an attack that's very much past it's best before date.

That's a lot of things to fix at a time when we've just lost a major income source - so 'shit' is being nice - maybe 'deep shit' is more appropriate.

Pretty much spot on imo. The only hope is that even with the same players next year...we simply can’t be as bad, but that is a pure hope rather than anything rational.

I do also find it funny that people were calling for us to miss out on the ‘shitty EL’ last year to focus on the league, now we’re out of it and faced with not being in it next year it’s the worst thing in the world. The club will survive a season out of the EL ffs, the disappointing bit was not grabbing that CL money from it.

Thank f**k we can play more Saturdays again anyway.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 am

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That's an odd thing to say. Projecting perhaps? Is that why you won't look this stuff up for yourself?

You can look up the post game analysis from Ljunberg and Keown if you want. Two men that know more about football than everyone here.

Odd thing to say?

Er, no.
That's a cop out from you because you didn't actually read what I said.

The tactics were plenty good enough for us to win, that's the bottom line. They were not perfect, but then they rarely are under Arteta.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk