No Europe next season

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: No Europe next season

Postby Wenger's Coat » Fri May 07, 2021 5:34 pm

I’d have thought it uncontroversial that BOTH players AND the manager contribute to the end result of each game and, therefore, overall performance of a team over the span of the season, albeit in different ways. Is this really something that can be sensibly disputed?
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 07, 2021 5:55 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Arteta shares in the blame of course, but I can't blame him for not getting top 4. We're a 6th to 16th place side depending on how well the manager does at organising the team and picking the right players.

Our number one issue is the quality of our players. Until it is fixed nothing is changing.

Arteta shares the blame ? Every single issue is linked to Arteta. Every Leno mistake is Arteta's fault, should not have gotten rid of Emi. What about our mid-season plummet, how can we blame the players for that ? We dropped like a stone because Arteta tried to play Billy Big Bollcks and failed. He then had to call upon ESR to save his arse !

Fine, Auba has had a torrid season, but thats no reason for the capitulation we have seen. Why have our midfield conributed to practically zero goals all season ? FFS, even Sheffield United have scored more goals from midfield than us !. why has Martinelli nopt had more game time ? Why has Willian played so many games ? Why is Laca dropped continually when he starts to show form ? Why are you playing Granit f***ing Xhaka as LB ?

Which players can you blame for the 2 poor performances in the EL semi finals ? You can't actually blame any of them.

Yes, I can blame Auba for missing chances - again - and turning in one of the most ineffective CF displays I have seen in a long time.
I can blame Odegaard for looking like a non-league player in possession.
I can blame Partey for not being able to find an accurate pass over 5 yards and giving the ball away cheaply time and again.
I can blame Pepe for being utterly inept at beating an opponent.
I can blame the majority of the players for being so scared to pass the ball forwards and constantly taking the easy option.

These are not manager issues.
You seem to be under the impression that a new manager is going to be able turn water into wine. Ain't gonna happen.
Yes, Arteta has made some rookie errors and he should not have been making them at our club in truth, but the real issue does not lie with him.
As always, it's the players.

No you can't because most of what you wrote fails to address the primary problem. The setup/tactics/system is ALL WRONG.

What chances did Auba miss ? The volley that hit the post was a half chance and a good effort, he was unlucky. The second time he hit the post he outjumped 2 defenders and won the header that was actually a good save from he keeper because after it hit the post it looked to me like the keeper got fingertips to it and that was enough to stop the ball from going over the line. Fine margins and considering he had just come back he looked ok.

Odegaard didn't create but he kept the ball moving, nothing special, he has been doing the same since he has been at Arsenal, thats not the reason we didn't win.

Partey put in a bad performance but look at the system - he was totally isolated all game, the pundits said the same so I cannot blame him for being ineffective when the system was not set to help him at all.

Pepe again was the same as he mostly always is, he didn't have a bad game. If yo uwant players to play a certain way, if you want players to attack, instruct them to do so. There are games when all Pepe does is go at his man, there are others where he doesn't. This must be down to instructions from the manager.

You can't blame the players for being too scared to pass the ball forwards. Mentalities don't come from players, they come from the manager. If a manager tells you to do something you do it. If you dilly dally on the ball and he gives you a rollicking you won't do it the next time. If the manager wanted us to attack with more pace thats exactly what we would've done. if a manager says "hit the channels to turn their defence, the defenders would do just that. Arsenal players are not overplaying it because they want to, they are doing it because they are being told to, thats why they look so uncomfortable doing it.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 07, 2021 5:57 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Arteta shares in the blame of course, but I can't blame him for not getting top 4. We're a 6th to 16th place side depending on how well the manager does at organising the team and picking the right players.

Our number one issue is the quality of our players. Until it is fixed nothing is changing.

Arteta shares the blame ? Every single issue is linked to Arteta. Every Leno mistake is Arteta's fault, should not have gotten rid of Emi. What about our mid-season plummet, how can we blame the players for that ? We dropped like a stone because Arteta tried to play Billy Big Bollcks and failed. He then had to call upon ESR to save his arse !

Fine, Auba has had a torrid season, but thats no reason for the capitulation we have seen. Why have our midfield conributed to practically zero goals all season ? FFS, even Sheffield United have scored more goals from midfield than us !. why has Martinelli nopt had more game time ? Why has Willian played so many games ? Why is Laca dropped continually when he starts to show form ? Why are you playing Granit f***ing Xhaka as LB ?

Which players can you blame for the 2 poor performances in the EL semi finals ? You can't actually blame any of them.

Yes, I can blame Auba for missing chances - again - and turning in one of the most ineffective CF displays I have seen in a long time.
I can blame Partey for not being able to find an accurate pass over 5 yards and giving the ball away cheaply time and again.
I can blame the majority of the players for being so scared to pass the ball forwards and constantly taking the easy option.

You seem to be under the impression that a new manager is going to be able turn water into wine. Ain't gonna happen.
Yes, Arteta has made some rookie errors and he should not have been making them at our club in truth, but the real issue does not lie with him.

No you can't because most of what you wrote fails to address the primary problem. The setup/tactics/system is ALL WRONG.

What chances did Auba miss ? The volley that hit the post was a half chance and a good effort, he was unlucky. The second time he hit the post he outjumped 2 defenders and won the header that was actually a good save from he keeper because after it hit the post it looked to me like the keeper got fingertips to it and that was enough to stop the ball from going over the line. Fine margins and considering he had just come back he looked ok.

Odegaard didn't create but he kept the ball moving, nothing special, he has been doing the same since he has been at Arsenal, thats not the reason we didn't win.

Partey put in a bad performance but look at the system - he was totally isolated all game, the pundits said the same so I cannot blame him for being ineffective when the system was not set to help him at all.

Pepe again was the same as he mostly always is, he didn't have a bad game. If yo uwant players to play a certain way, if you want players to attack, instruct them to do so. There are games when all Pepe does is go at his man, there are others where he doesn't. This must be down to instructions from the manager.

You can't blame the players for being too scared to pass the ball forwards. Mentalities don't come from players, they come from the manager. If a manager tells you to do something you do it. If you dilly dally on the ball and he gives you a rollicking you won't do it the next time. If the manager wanted us to attack with more pace thats exactly what we would've done. if a manager says "hit the channels to turn their defence, the defenders would do just that. Arsenal players are not overplaying it because they want to, they are doing it because they are being told to, thats why they look so uncomfortable doing it.

Tactics had nothing to do with the missed chances and errors.

The tactics were actually not a problem.
Villareal did virtually f**k all during the game - they had one decent chance.
The players picked was an error on Arteta's part for sure, but don't try and tell me that a header from 3 yards out that misses is not a missed chance, or dawdling on the ball and being dispossessed, or misplacing easy passes is somehow a tactical issue.

As for being too scared to pass forwards - that is all on the players.
Arteta even criticised them for being too passive.
The manager is not going to tell them to pass backwards when there is a forward option. he MIGHT tell them to be safe when needed, but that is where players need to make decisions on the pitch. The manager can not do it for them.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Fri May 07, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 07, 2021 6:13 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Yep. We spent most of the game trying to play it out from the back. Distances between the defenders, Partey and the midfield too wide. I believe the players have instructions to occupy specific zones and to wait to receive the ball. Playing out from the back was also made a lot harder without Luiz and Gabriel. We're far too rigid and you can see that the players don't have enough freedom.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 07, 2021 6:15 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Yep. We spent most of the game trying to play it out from the back. Distances between the defenders, Partey and the midfield too wide. I believe the players have instructions to occupy specific zones and to wait to receive the ball. Playing out from the back was also made a lot harder without Luiz and Gabriel. We're far too rigid and you can see that the players don't have enough freedom.

True, but then we still had most of the possession and the lions share of chances.
We didn't lose because of tactics.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 07, 2021 6:19 pm

https://www.goal.com/en/news/arsenal-wi ... fm50sfhwam

"The positional game doesn’t mean that you have no freedom on the pitch, you have the freedom to move, but many times you have to respect the position, what the coach asks, the instructions, understanding that it’ll be better for the team.

"It may happen that you don’t touch the ball and get frustrated, but Mikel always says that, wait a minute, the ball will arrive. I’ve been learning a lot."

Will always remember this quote from Willian on Arteta's tactics. Similar t owhat Henry described when playing for Pep.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 07, 2021 6:24 pm

Power n Glory wrote:https://www.goal.com/en/news/arsenal-willian-frustrated-by-arteta-tactics/2ukc1u5v223s1j9fm50sfhwam

"The positional game doesn’t mean that you have no freedom on the pitch, you have the freedom to move, but many times you have to respect the position, what the coach asks, the instructions, understanding that it’ll be better for the team.

"It may happen that you don’t touch the ball and get frustrated, but Mikel always says that, wait a minute, the ball will arrive. I’ve been learning a lot."

Will always remember this quote from Willian on Arteta's tactics. Similar t owhat Henry described when playing for Pep.

Seems sensible - it doesn't say 'always take the safe option in case you lose it'
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 07, 2021 6:25 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

True, but then we still had most of the possession and the lions share of chances.

You should follow Tim Stillman, read more of his articles on Arseblog and listen to his podcasts to get a better understanding of tactics and how teams apply pressure to score goals.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 07, 2021 6:28 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

You should follow Tim Stillman, read more of his articles on Arseblog and listen to his podcasts to get a better understanding of tactics and how teams apply pressure to score goals.

If anyone says that tactics cause players to make stupid basic errors then they have f**k all clue what they are talking about.
Like I said, we had the lions share of possession and the most and best chances - so overall the tactics were fine - maybe not even right, but fine for the night against the opposition we faced.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 07, 2021 6:35 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:https://www.goal.com/en/news/arsenal-willian-frustrated-by-arteta-tactics/2ukc1u5v223s1j9fm50sfhwam

Seems sensible - it doesn't say 'always take the safe option in case you lose it'

It backs up part of what HH has said about Partey looking isolated. If we're playing out from the back with Holding, Mari and Bellerin, what do you think they'll do? Take the risk and lose possession deep in our own half? Gabriel, Luiz and Chambers are our best CB's when the ball is at their feet but they weren't playing. We probably should have played a double pivot and given them more outlets to beat Emery's press.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 07, 2021 6:39 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

If anyone says that tactics cause players to make stupid basic errors then they have f**k all clue what they are talking about.
Like I said, we had the lions share of possession and the most and best chances - so overall the tactics were fine - maybe not even right, but fine for the night against the opposition we faced.

Ignorance and arrogance. Smh. You have a good evening and do some extra reading. Loads of material analysing the game and tactics.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 07, 2021 6:47 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Ignorance and arrogance. Smh. You have a good evening and do some extra reading. Loads of material analysing the game and tactics.

No, it's common sense.
You'll need to do better than an internet blog to explain why a player making a basic error on the football pitch or missing an easy chance has something to do with tactics.
I'll leave you to cogitate on your answer.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 07, 2021 7:26 pm

Well, Jay have a look around the blogs, opinions from ex players, coaches and people that spend years analysing the game and let me know if you find any that say the tactics weren't a problem.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 07, 2021 8:05 pm

Ach wrote:Just across London, Tuchel has changed Chelsea this season but apparently nothing to do with managers.

Dear God.

West Ham and Moyes.

I'm no fan of Moyes at all, however, you can't deny that when you match a suitable manager to even a team which has been dross for over 20 years, magic can happen.

Of course its to do with the manager, he selects the team, he selects the formation, selects the tactics and he picks the players on that pitch.

To say otherwise is borderline insanity.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 07, 2021 8:08 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Well, Jay have a look around the blogs, opinions from ex players, coaches and people that spend years analysing the game and let me know if you find any that say the tactics weren't a problem.

I swear Jay is arguing tooth and nail to deflect from his ........ "Don't even worry about it, Villarreal are Scunthorpe level, we'll beat them easy, AFC vs Utd final, book your ticket".

He said they were as bad as Scunthorpe and worse than Burnley and Fulham, not being funny, but they looked more professional and accomplished on the ball than Fulham?

JayRam's completely lost his nut here.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk