Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Power n Glory » Thu May 06, 2021 8:14 am

We have a bottom of the barrel manager. His experience has cost us and anyone with experience now looks decent. When Wenger stepped down, Tuchel, Sarri, Ancelotti, Rafa, Rodgers..they wouldn't have been my first choice options. I didn’t rate Rafa or Tuchel at all. Same goes for Eddie Howe. But today....desperate times.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Thu May 06, 2021 8:18 am

Power n Glory wrote:We have a bottom of the barrel manager. His experience has cost us and anyone with experience now looks decent. When Wenger stepped down, Tuchel, Sarri, Ancelotti, Rafa, Rodgers..they wouldn't have been my first choice options. I didn’t rate Rafa or Tuchel at all. Same goes for Eddie Howe. But today....desperate times.

Not quite ready to take Don Howe ashes for the job but getting close
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Thu May 06, 2021 8:35 am

VCC wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:We have a bottom of the barrel manager. His experience has cost us and anyone with experience now looks decent. When Wenger stepped down, Tuchel, Sarri, Ancelotti, Rafa, Rodgers..they wouldn't have been my first choice options. I didn’t rate Rafa or Tuchel at all. Same goes for Eddie Howe. But today....desperate times.

I'm very close to that stage. Arteta has a lot to learn and it may take a 5-10 years to find his level.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Thu May 06, 2021 9:26 am

Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:

I'm very close to that stage. Arteta has a lot to learn and it may take a 5-10 years to find his level.

True, let's hope he fooks off and finds his level somewhere else.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Santi » Thu May 06, 2021 9:47 am

Well would rather hope he finds it quicker and we benefit but yeah
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 am

I do find it very odd that there is so much talk of what other managers could have or would do for us.
No manager in world football will make us a top team (I mean potential title winners and regular top 4) with the players we have - it's that simple.
Sure, there are some things that could be done differently, like NOT play Xhaka at LB, but over a season it's not going to make much of a difference. Maybe a place or 2 higher, who knows, but nothing fundamental.
It's 95% about the players.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Paddy » Thu May 06, 2021 10:39 am

wrong.

the manager is the focal point and spearhead of a team. a good manager can be getting a lot more out of these players and should be fighting for top 4 with this bunch.

even if we missed top 4 by a point or 2 we should be right in the mix until the end. an average manager like emery managed that but arteta has been disastrous so far.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Power n Glory » Thu May 06, 2021 11:13 am

Paddy wrote:wrong.

the manager is the focal point and spearhead of a team. a good manager can be getting a lot more out of these players and should be fighting for top 4 with this bunch.

even if we missed top 4 by a point or 2 we should be right in the mix until the end. an average manager like emery managed that but arteta has been disastrous so far.

Exactly. Also, the manager also works with the DOF when it comes to recruiting players, retaining players and so on. He's the reason we don't have cover for left back and if he continues to sign up aging players that are on a decline, that's on him also.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 06, 2021 11:43 am

Jay, its so obvious Arteta is making rookie mistakes, they wouldn't be made by others. Doesn't mean they wouldn't have their own set of problems but at least you eliminate a major subset of problems from the equation.

I don't think some people understand just how shockingly bad we have been at times this season, I am not joking when I say you could get anyone from the street to pick a team and formation and you wouldn't be surprised if the performances were the same as Arteta's. Shocking standard of football we have seen.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby CaptGooner » Thu May 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Not sure why many never rated Tuchel. Always thought he would have been the best option for us.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Thu May 06, 2021 1:22 pm

CaptGooner wrote:

Not sure why many never rated Tuchel. Always thought he would have been the best option for us.

At the time he didn’t have as much experience compared to a few others. It was just the German Domestic Cup to his name and at the time we were looking for a Wenger replacement. I wanted someone with experience of winning league titles and cups. We went with Uani instead.

As said, today is a different story. If we're going to back a coach with funds, at least back someone credible. At the moment we're all hoping Arteta turns into a great coach when it may just be an excellent assistant coach somewhere else.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Goonerred » Thu May 06, 2021 1:34 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:

At the time he didn’t have as much experience compared to a few others. It was just the German Domestic Cup to his name and at the time we were looking for a Wenger replacement. I wanted someone with experience of winning league titles and cups. We went with Uani instead.

As said, today is a different story. If we're going to back a coach with funds, at least back someone credible. At the moment we're all hoping Arteta turns into a great coach when it may just be an excellent assistant coach somewhere else.

That's so true and why wouldn't we? Chelsea and United get rid of managaers to keep the in CL and challenging. Rodgers was floated at the time and I thought 'no' we need somebody better. LOL at me. We're are so far away from where we were, we look back and wonder. HIndsight is wonderful.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu May 06, 2021 1:39 pm

CaptGooner wrote:

People were talking about how he fell out with Zorc at Dortmund and Leonardo at PSG, and that we didn't need that 'disruptive' influence during our 'rebuild'.

Also he hadn't won any trophies at Dortmund; some discount his Ligue 1 wins because it was at PSG.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Thu May 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Goonerred wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:

That's so true and why wouldn't we? Chelsea and United get rid of managaers to keep the in CL and challenging. Rodgers was floated at the time and I thought 'no' we need somebody better. LOL at me. We're are so far away from where we were, we look back and wonder. HIndsight is wonderful.

Things have changed so quickly. Our standards have dropped.

We were playing Chelsea in the Europa League final not so long ago and they're now in the Champs League final whilst we're midtable and looking at life without Europe if we don't win tonight.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Thu May 06, 2021 1:57 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:

Things have changed so quickly. Our standards have dropped.

We were playing Chelsea in the Europa League final not so long ago and they're now in the Champs League final whilst we're midtable and looking at life without Europe if we don't win tonight.

Shows the ambition of the club really. :(
Nuggets

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk