Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:11 am

DiamondGooner wrote:For the football he's attempting to play, he needs two at least one CAM to buy in this window.

You have to love that our manager has chosen the one brand of football he doesn't have a squad for.

4-2-3-1 with a dedicated no10 spot ........... and he has one young CAM in the entire squad.

Who plays if ESR can't, Willock, Willian? fk no!!

Get Buendia at the very least, anyone, just someone who can even rotate with ESR without us dropping levels.

............. todays majority possession without breaking the other team down just smacked of a bad Wenger day.

We really have changed nothing, may as well of kept Wenger.

I dunno, why do you think Willian can't play as a CAM ? I actually thought that was the reason we bought him, I think he has the skills to play that role, he is an intelligent footballer, very technical with a range of passing rivalled by no other player in the Arsenal squad. He doesn't need pace and he doesn't need to beat anyone.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:13 am

He always played out wide for Chelsea.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:14 am

We have a top 6 squad putting in performances of teams 7 or 8 places below. I will never agree that the squad is as bad as some people are making out, because it is not. The manager has it all to answer for.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 am

Ach wrote:He always played out wide for Chelsea.

Yeah, but that was for Chelsea, different team, different players and he is not getting younger.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:09 pm

7 wins, 3 draws and 8 defeats almost halfway through the season, dreadful stuff, just like last night.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:25 pm

Godlop wrote:
elkanofan wrote:He has saved himself from the mid season sack but i don't trust him to get us back to where we need to be.

If we aren't at least top 7 by end of the season, if he isn't sacked then we need a revolution at the club to remove him.

He didn't. The club was willing to stick with Arteta unless we were still in danger to be relegated by April.
If he didn't win those 3 games, if we lost those games the pressure would have been to much and he would have gone. No matter how much the club live their perfect puppet.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 pm

He should still be sacked if we don't make EL next season.

He's spent ~£75 million in the summer window, with the club in a terrible financial position, and is in the bottom half.

Everyone can see that our rebuild will be centred around quality youth players. Arteta resists that, while a manager like Tuchel embraces it.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:39 pm

aniym wrote:He should still be sacked if we don't make EL next season.

He's spent ~£75 million in the summer window, with the club in a terrible financial position, and is in the bottom half.

Everyone can see that our rebuild will be centred around quality youth players. [b]Arteta resists that, while a manager like Tuchel embraces it[/b].

That's because one is an experienced manager and the other is a clown.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby LMAO » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Angelito wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Santi wrote:Unbeaten in 5 let’s gooooo

:1990_dancing.gif:

We're close to where we should be. 2-5 points off a position where the level of this team actually is.

Obviously rather Arsenal be 18-0-0 right now, but the team still needs more consistent and better players.

What is this? We've gone from bemoaning two dropped points to celebrating a point against Palace at home now?

:shifty:

2-5 points off could still place us at 11th/12th as most of the teams around us have a game or two in hand.

We seem happy being the incarnation of Everton under Moyes. With Moyes, the aim was top-8. European football was a bonus. Seems the case with us these days. Worst part is that we have an ex-Everton player here, who everybody thought would be the next Pep, but is turning out to be the next Moyes. :hiding:

I stopped putting blind faith in these players a while ago. Most are too inconsistent for anything more than a midtable finish. On talent, yes, they should be getting top 6 relatively easy, but their consistency betrays them.

Arteta also has to share the blame. It's up to him to get the players ready to perform every game and find a way to remedy flat performances, but I'm not going to fault him entirely because there's only so much a person can do with unreliable parts.

Edu should be given criticism for this mess, too. He's the DoF. He has a lot of say over roster management, and he's so far failed to clear out the inconsistent players and bring in more consistent players.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:37 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:For the football he's attempting to play, he needs two at least one CAM to buy in this window.

You have to love that our manager has chosen the one brand of football he doesn't have a squad for.

4-2-3-1 with a dedicated no10 spot ........... and he has one young CAM in the entire squad.

Who plays if ESR can't, Willock, Willian? fk no!!

Get Buendia at the very least, anyone, just someone who can even rotate with ESR without us dropping levels.

............. todays majority possession without breaking the other team down just smacked of a bad Wenger day.

We really have changed nothing, may as well of kept Wenger.

I dunno, why do you think Willian can't play as a CAM ? I actually thought that was the reason we bought him, I think he has the skills to play that role, he is an intelligent footballer, very technical with a range of passing rivalled by no other player in the Arsenal squad. He doesn't need pace and he doesn't need to beat anyone.

Does Willian look like the answer to anything to you at the moment?

The guy is a career winger, he doesn't give a fk about playing for this club, he came here to retire and do an Ozil, Willian looks like he wishes Arteta would just send him home.

He's not a proper CAM and you can tell.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:41 pm

If the players are inconsistent and we have a better squad now than we did in Wenger's last few years, that means Wenger was a miracle worker then.

Its either that or the players are not as bad as people claim. Wenger the miracle worker or players are not as bad as claimed.

My money is on players are not as bad as claimed, all day, every day
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:47 pm

theHotHead wrote:If the players are inconsistent and we have a better squad now than we did in Wenger's last few years, that means Wenger was a miracle worker then.

Its either that or the players are not as bad as people claim. Wenger the miracle worker or players are not as bad as claimed.

Wenger wasn't a miracle worker any more than Emery was. You don't need divine intervention to finish above Aston Villa and Southampton.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 pm

What’s happening here and the problem (and it’s a big one) is that Arteta is an awful manager, on all his time here we’ve basically been midtable or below, we’re no better position wise than we were in Emery’s worst days just before he got sacked.

The table doesn’t lie, we’re awful under him, has there really been any progress since he arrived, I certainly don’t see any, we’re actually lower in the league now, he’s taken a superior team to the one Emery had and we’re worse off.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby themessiah » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:28 pm

Red flags were waved when

Arteta could not beat Olympiakos
But people goonerworld think he can beat Napoli, Valencia,Milan
He packed the box to win the FaCup and trick us and we gave him time . And he's been found out now

Emery as i despised him towards then end beat Napoli and host of clubs smashed Valencia 7-2 whilst getting the best out of most players

I had a big shocker and Even though i defended Arteta in the past
This guy could not beat Olympiakos ffs
I wonder what the forum would say at the end of the season when we finish 11th on the table with no Europe footie
Trust the process lol
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:45 pm

aniym wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If the players are inconsistent and we have a better squad now than we did in Wenger's last few years, that means Wenger was a miracle worker then.

Wenger wasn't a miracle worker any more than Emery was. You don't need divine intervention to finish above Aston Villa and Southampton.

Well, I am glad you agree, because the way some people are talking its like we are lucky to be 11th with the players we have.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk