Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby LMAO » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:54 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:Is it fair to call Arteta a defensive manager?

No I don't think so. Our problem in the past few years have been atrocious defending. Its the first thing dufus Emery should have addressed but he didn't. If Arteta came in and didn't prioritise fixing the defense we might as well have not bothered sacking Wenger!

But but but you need at least 3 windows to fix a defense.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:08 am

Tbf nothing is really fixed yet, we’ve gotten away with some stuff at the back we weren’t previously getting away with. Definitely improved but we still aren’t completely assured at the back and need more work.

Hopefully a couple of signings as well.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:00 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby LMAO » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:42 am

Santi wrote:Tbf nothing is really fixed yet, we’ve gotten away with some stuff at the back we weren’t previously getting away with. Definitely improved but we still aren’t completely assured at the back and need more work.

I don't know if anyone would say we have a defense on the level of Real, Atlético, or Liverpool, but we're heading in the right direction and a lot better than we were 4 months ago.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Losmeister » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:18 am

Santi wrote:Tbf nothing is really fixed yet, we’ve gotten away with some stuff at the back we weren’t previously getting away with. Definitely improved but we still aren’t completely assured at the back and need more work.

the AMOUNT OF CHANCES ALLOWED HAS DECREASED

the AMOUNT OF HIGH QUALITY CHANCES HAS DECREASED..

a good place to start, w/o actually being a HIGH QUALITY DEFENSE
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goonerz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:56 am

CaptGooner wrote:You guys complain about dropped points but now that we are getting results with good defensive performances you still complain.

Fun times

I like what Arteta has done so far. But that shouldn’t take away from a broader conversation about performances in games.

I do understand where people are coming from. We have been through this thing with wenger and Emery where these constant poor performances led to most of us saying “Papering over the cracks”.

Reminds me of that 20 or so unbeaten run under Emery. We could all see massive problems in performances but results papered over them. I think Arteta has built a much more convincing defensive foundation right now but these poor / inconsistent performances keep bringing back those memories.

It just takes 1 or 2 defeats and the players confidence tanks again and It’s deja vu over again. We know the fragility of our players.

After all that we have been through under wenger and emery, I can understand why some people are still nervous and sceptical.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:34 am

I would say this is different. Under Emery I couldn't see what sort of football we were trying to play or see the thinking behind the team selection. We'd look poor and clueless going forward and as a result of losing the ball high up the pitch, we'd often concede a load of chances because we didn't know how to defend against counter attacks. Freddie also mentioned how poor we were defensively on the transition and said he'd work on it. But Emery's answer to this problem was to not commit as many players forward in attack and we'd also have every player back defending in numbers. We'd still look an absolute mess and in a panic when defending.

Under Wenger this was also a problem but he seemed to just accept this as a consequence of attacking football and the philosophy was to not lose the ball cheaply and score more goals. We'd attack in numbers and try to keep the ball high in our opponents half but then we'd get those really dry possession games where players rarely took risks. Once pur midfield quality eroded we even started to find it difficult just to keep possession and we suffered for it.

With Arteta I think he's working more on a shape and it's why we're not over exposed when we get countered. Saka is able to play higher up the pitch because he pushes Xhaka closer to the left to cover. Our RB doesn't overlap as much either and we just seem to have more cover. Despite not being quite all the way there with possession and still getting to know the best combos, we're just more solid and the three erratic and rash players that panic under pressure (Xhaka, Mustafi, Luiz) have been way more consistent and aren't getting exposed.

It's still a work in progress but it's a clear improvement with our defensive approach. It hasn't taken 3 transfer windows to fix either which was often a defence used to explain Emery's poor record.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:21 am

Zenith wrote:Image

no_difference.gif

As much as we were disgruntled that Wenger stuck to one formation, I think it's a sign of a good manager. Wenger used 4 formations during his time at Arsenal (4-4-2, 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, and 3-4-3).

Arteta is predominantly using the 4-2-3-1. And I like it. I'm a 4-3-3 fan, but I get what he's doing.

Hoping to see consistent improvements under him.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:18 am

LMAO wrote:

I don't know if anyone would say we have a defense on the level of Real, Atlético, or Liverpool, but we're heading in the right direction and a lot better than we were 4 months ago.

The biggest worry is still the number of shots we face and the ease of which teams manage to cut us open. But there is a marked and definite improvement over Emery
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:22 am

There are some improvements defensively no question, but overall performances offensively have been poor. What concerns me more though is how he seems to be building a team around the likes of Xhaka (who is such a negative footballer and largely just passes sideways and slows down our play) and Mustafi.

I’m sorry but it’s a poor excuse to say he has no other options, he does, the problem is that he rates them. If we carry on with these two we can forget about progress, they signify all that is wrong with the team at this club and need to be got rid of ASAP.

If Arteta doesn’t get rid of them at the first opportunity and/or stop playing them all the time he won’t have my backing that’s for sure, I want to see a progressive manager not one who lives in the past and relies on duds.

Some people might love Arteta and what he’s been doing, I’ve yet to be convinced and the players he’s playing really play into that, he’s so far not been very creative with the lineups IMO and has often picked the wrong first 11.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:49 pm

The thing Arteta has to fix first is our defending as a team, I don't mind if he has decided that work on that and neglect the attack, we have players that can score goals.

What we saw in the Olympiakos hame was the importance of keeping a clean sheet, it means you only need one goal to win a game as opposed to the 2 or 3 we are used to having to score to get any points from a game.

The attack can wait, it is not in dire need of attention
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:23 pm

LMAO wrote:

For sure. But if you look at just clean sheets it hides how close leeds were to scoring, hides the golden chance Olympiakos had from the header in first 15 mins which should have been a goal and other similar ones.

Of course not every chance is a goal and we will always get away with things like that (all teams do) but just want to make sure we don’t get too carried away. He’s doing a good job solidifying the defence with what he has and hopefully a couple of signings will push us on to be able to take more chances going forward without sacrificing the defence.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Santi wrote:
LMAO wrote:

For sure. But if you look at just clean sheets it hides how close leeds were to scoring, hides the golden chance Olympiakos had from the header in first 15 mins which should have been a goal and other similar ones.

Of course not every chance is a goal and we will always get away with things like that (all teams do) but just want to make sure we don’t get too carried away. He’s doing a good job solidifying the defence with what he has and hopefully a couple of signings will push us on to be able to take more chances going forward without sacrificing the defence.

Olympiacos created f**k all
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ag6789 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Don't think we can abandon the attack. Attack is the best defense. Areteta needs to find a balance. I think he is working towards getting the midfield to keep closer contact between attack and defense. Which means more midfield possession and cover for each other.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Santi wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Dude, we can't stop teams from trying, we can only stop them from scoring.

That's what a Goalie and defence do.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk