Nicolas Pépé (19)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:15 am

VCC wrote:Said it several times , Emery style is for the fullbacks to create the width and wide forwards to play inside them . When Teirney and Bellerin are back you will see that they will become the link with pepe and saka/martinelli being a little narrower creating that tighter midfeild link, this is why we are not seeing a number 10. Pepe will come good he is currently alienated and double teamed but still creates chances


That's probably the goal because both CM's split and occupy opposite sides of the pitch. Xhaka also dropping between both CB's also pushes Luiz and Sokratis further apart to support passing in wide areas.

I get the idea but a system dependent on two very specific players is a worry. Lose either one again and we have a complete system failure. Also, what if it doesn't work once we have them both back?
User avatar
Power n Glory
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby VCC » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 am

Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:Said it several times , Emery style is for the fullbacks to create the width and wide forwards to play inside them . When Teirney and Bellerin are back you will see that they will become the link with pepe and saka/martinelli being a little narrower creating that tighter midfeild link, this is why we are not seeing a number 10. Pepe will come good he is currently alienated and double teamed but still creates chances


That's probably the goal because both CM's split and occupy opposite sides of the pitch. Xhaka also dropping between both CB's also pushes Luiz and Sokratis further apart to support passing in wide areas.

I get the idea but a system dependent on two very specific players is a worry. Lose either one again and we have a complete system failure. Also, what if it doesn't work once we have them both back?

Agree 100% I think Teirney will hit the team running but Bellerin/pepe may take time. And like you say if we have an injury we are back to what we have ATM a dysfunctional hodgepodge, but I think personally take xhaka out of that hodgepodge and it would flow more.
User avatar
VCC
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Hybrid47 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:20 am

He had some great moments in the first half and if that curling effort goes in we're having a different conversation. He was flagging in the second half and was rightly taken off, I still don't think he's 100% fit.

That said he still needs time and our midfield offers nothing to the front 3 currently so really hard to judge.
Hybrid47
Michael Thomas
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 am

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Dejan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am

immsun wrote:Wont flourish under Emery if Emery doesnt change.

We have been crying for a winger like that and now when we got one the manager doesnt know how to get best out of him. Ffs.
So why can saka flourish and pepe cant?

Like usual, emery is at fault for everything.
Misplacing passes, not hitting the target and losing the ball is 100% on pepe himself

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
User avatar
Dejan
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24597
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby immsun » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Dejan wrote:
immsun wrote:Wont flourish under Emery if Emery doesnt change.

We have been crying for a winger like that and now when we got one the manager doesnt know how to get best out of him. Ffs.
So why can saka flourish and pepe cant?

Like usual, emery is at fault for everything.
Misplacing passes, not hitting the target and losing the ball is 100% on pepe himself

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Your definition of Flourish is wrong. He is impressing not flourishing for now.

We are getting those 3 points by a very thin margin. Eventually we wont be this lucky.

Unless emery gets the best out of Players. I will always critisize him. Our biggest signing is flaundering coz the idiot manager doesnt know attack.

There is talent in pepe far more than Saka. He can dribble,has pace,trickery,etc i.e what you need from a winger but no dont make use of him properly and hes being questioned now. Fk off Emery.
immsun
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:24 am

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm

As a great man once said

Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.
Ach
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 11922
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Dejan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 pm

immsun wrote:
Dejan wrote:
immsun wrote:Wont flourish under Emery if Emery doesnt change.

We have been crying for a winger like that and now when we got one the manager doesnt know how to get best out of him. Ffs.
So why can saka flourish and pepe cant?

Like usual, emery is at fault for everything.
Misplacing passes, not hitting the target and losing the ball is 100% on pepe himself

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Your definition of Flourish is wrong. He is impressing not flourishing for now.

We are getting those 3 points by a very thin margin. Eventually we wont be this lucky.

Unless emery gets the best out of Players. I will always critisize him. Our biggest signing is flaundering coz the idiot manager doesnt know attack.

There is talent in pepe far more than Saka. He can dribble,has pace,trickery,etc i.e what you need from a winger but no dont make use of him properly and hes being questioned now. Fk off Emery.


If Emery is the main reason why pepe cant flourish nor impress then surely none of our wingers or strikers should impress right? This is weird because auba, saka and martinelli all are having a great season so far despite emery and our lack or creativity in midfield. Pepe is playing in the same conditions as those players, yet he is the one that is misplacing passes and unable to atleast shoot on goal instead of wide.

The reason he is not performing is for the most part due to himself. He is extremely one footed and thus far too predictable. This has worked in france, however the premier league is far more difficult. He has to adapt because right now his handling speed is far too slow.

Dont get me wrong i still have high hopes for this guy but he needs to up his game. Bigtime.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
User avatar
Dejan
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24597
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby swipe right » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:22 pm

He could be another Fred. Gulp!
Taxi for Unai
swipe right
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:05 pm

Dejan wrote:
immsun wrote:Wont flourish under Emery if Emery doesnt change.

We have been crying for a winger like that and now when we got one the manager doesnt know how to get best out of him. Ffs.
So why can saka flourish and pepe cant?

Like usual, emery is at fault for everything.
Misplacing passes, not hitting the target and losing the ball is 100% on pepe himself

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk


Very good point, Martinelli as well.

Its uncomfortable because of what we paid for him and I haven't given up on him yet but he's having a stinker and it is down to him not manning up after his transfer no one else.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 19788
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Dejan wrote:
immsun wrote:
Dejan wrote:
immsun wrote:Wont flourish under Emery if Emery doesnt change.

We have been crying for a winger like that and now when we got one the manager doesnt know how to get best out of him. Ffs.
So why can saka flourish and pepe cant?

Like usual, emery is at fault for everything.
Misplacing passes, not hitting the target and losing the ball is 100% on pepe himself

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Your definition of Flourish is wrong. He is impressing not flourishing for now.

We are getting those 3 points by a very thin margin. Eventually we wont be this lucky.

Unless emery gets the best out of Players. I will always critisize him. Our biggest signing is flaundering coz the idiot manager doesnt know attack.

There is talent in pepe far more than Saka. He can dribble,has pace,trickery,etc i.e what you need from a winger but no dont make use of him properly and hes being questioned now. Fk off Emery.


If Emery is the main reason why pepe cant flourish nor impress then surely none of our wingers or strikers should impress right? This is weird because auba, saka and martinelli all are having a great season so far despite emery and our lack or creativity in midfield. Pepe is playing in the same conditions as those players, yet he is the one that is misplacing passes and unable to atleast shoot on goal instead of wide.

The reason he is not performing is for the most part due to himself. He is extremely one footed and thus far too predictable. This has worked in france, however the premier league is far more difficult. He has to adapt because right now his handling speed is far too slow.

Dont get me wrong i still have high hopes for this guy but he needs to up his game. Bigtime.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk


Different expectations. Saka and Pepe have the same amount of goals and assists. If Saka were having the sort of start to the season Pepe was having, most people would be pleased.

Saka wasn't effective against Bournemouth and Aubameyang really struggled as well. Pepe is the only one being singled out. That curling shot from Martinelli was similar to the same attempt on goal Pepe made but it's a great effort for one and massive miss for the other.
User avatar
Power n Glory
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:07 pm

^ that is why I've not given up on Pepe at all.

If that shot had gone in we'd all be going nuts about it, people have the patience of 5 yr olds today, embarrassing at times.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 19788
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Zenith » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:^ that is why I've not given up on Pepe at all.

If that shot had gone in we'd all be going nuts about it, people have the patience of 5 yr olds today, embarrassing at times.

Despite struggling, he has still created more chances in the Premier League (12) than any other Arsenal player.

Pépé also by a country mile completed the most take-ons (25) ahead of Ceballos (11) - more than twice as much. Only Boufal and Zaha have a higher average successful take-ons per 90'.

Whilst there are aspects of his game that are cause for concern, there are positives to be taken from his performances as well. Unsurprisingly, those positives are conveniently being ignored by the majority of his critics.
Image
User avatar
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31092
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:48 pm
Location: Gallia Belgica, 5 hours away from The Grove

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:40 pm

We paid 72 mil. Stop evaluating him like we paid 27 mil.
Taxi for Unai
swipe right
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby VCC » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:04 am

swipe right wrote:We paid 72 mil. Stop evaluating him like we paid 27 mil.

Hope those same evaluation to performance expectations go for the entire squad because ozil should be shedding skin like a snake to perform. What's good for some is good for all.
User avatar
VCC
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:45 am

A load of breeze about nothing

Hes hardly played yet

Arshavin was brilliant when he started. Turned out to be meh
Image
User avatar
UFGN
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests