Staff Overhaul

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Backroom overhaul.

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Nail on head
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:04 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Hybrid47 wrote:If this is true then Sven leaving is a travesty, he could of been the one saving grace with his recruitment strategy.

It’s a loss but I’m not sure if it’s a travesty. We’ll have to see what we do at the end of this window and next summer to get the full picture.

I look at it this way. In recent years we’ve signed Ozil, Sanchez, Cech, Lacazette, Aubameyang , Mkhitryan , Leno and Sokratis. Experienced internationals.

Would you prefer we go back to Project Youth where we’re waiting two or three years for players to develop?

These two things are not mutually exclusive - Wonger lost his way in 2007 when for whatever reason he just stopped buying top quality player - but when that trend was reversed with first Ozil then Sanchez we stopped buying any quality youngsters ... we must do both to compete ....

What if we can’t afford to do both? That looks to be the case because it was either Seri or Guen for the first team.

Guen looks like he still needs a lot of work and shouldn’t be a first team starter just yet. We still have a youth team and can promote from within but I’d prefer we avoid the mistakes Wenger made. Gibbs, Theo, Ox, Ramsey, Wilshere….there wages went up quicker than their talent level and we sacrificed a lot of time and possible trophies because they were regarded as first team players and the priority.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Emery says he's been working normally with the Sven pubber for the past couple of weeks
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby indy23 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Lol if Spurs get Malcom (a f***ing winger) and we end up with this guy.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:38 pm

indy23 wrote:Lol if Spurs get Malcom (a f***ing winger) and we end up with this guy.

Malcolm is shit tbh
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby indy23 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Suarez is worse tbh
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Ozil frozen out.
Ramsey gone.
Sven gone.

Probable issues:

- Lacazette's treatment might piss him off; the Ozil treatment would definitely have a negative impact on the squad as Ozil shares a harmonious relationship with all and Emery's an awful man manager.
- Bellerin to Barca is still on.

And, we're getting rid of these players so that we can add the Spanish Chamberlain.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Hybrid47 wrote:If this is true then Sven leaving is a travesty, he could of been the one saving grace with his recruitment strategy.

It’s a loss but I’m not sure if it’s a travesty. We’ll have to see what we do at the end of this window and next summer to get the full picture.

I look at it this way. In recent years we’ve signed Ozil, Sanchez, Cech, Lacazette, Aubameyang , Mkhitryan , Leno and Sokratis. Experienced internationals.

Would you prefer we go back to Project Youth where we’re waiting two or three years for players to develop?

These two things are not mutually exclusive - Wonger lost his way in 2007 when for whatever reason he just stopped buying top quality player - but when that trend was reversed with first Ozil then Sanchez we stopped buying any quality youngsters ... we must do both to compete ....

What if we can’t afford to do both? That looks to be the case because it was either Seri or Guen for the first team.

Guen looks like he still needs a lot of work and shouldn’t be a first team starter just yet. We still have a youth team and can promote from within but I’d prefer we avoid the mistakes Wenger made. Gibbs, Theo, Ox, Ramsey, Wilshere….there wages went up quicker than their talent level and we sacrificed a lot of time and possible trophies because they were regarded as first team players and the priority.

As EK said, we need to be doing both. But since it appears like we can't spend too much money, more emphasis needs to be placed on scouting youth and youth development. Its the only way the club can survive and why letting Sven go is a foolish move by whoever's orchestrating it
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Santi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:20 pm

This club is like drawing pocket tens then flopping 3,4,5.

Time to fold.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

As EK said, we need to be doing both. But since it appears like we can't spend too much money, more emphasis needs to be placed on scouting youth and youth development. Its the only way the club can survive and why letting Sven go is a foolish move by whoever's orchestrating it

We haven't burned down the youth academy and banished the whole system. We'll still bring through young players but hopefully when they're ready to step in and earn their place.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Walcott14 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Angelito wrote:Ozil frozen out.
Ramsey gone.
Sven gone.

Probable issues:

- Lacazette's treatment might piss him off; the Ozil treatment would definitely have a negative impact on the squad as Ozil shares a harmonious relationship with all and Emery's an awful man manager.
- Bellerin to Barca is still on.

And, we're getting rid of these players so that we can add the Spanish Chamberlain.

Raul Sanllehi and Vinai Venkatesham are more likely behind the chaos at the moment. Emery simply does not have the authority Wenger used to have. That being said, I am not fan of Emery ball either. Guy is already showing signs of being moaninho v2, negative football, egoistical and shitty psychological games. The sooner we get rid, the better.
By Jordan1411 at Deviantart
Walcott14
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:47 pm

We have not been good bringing youth through for donkeys years, it was a myth that Wenger wad good at it. How many successes did he have? A Cole, Fabregas, RVP, Wilshere, Ramsey, I will add Walcott grudgingly, who else of worth?? Shezza, will give you him grudgingly too. For 20 years thats pretty shit.

So dunno why people all of a sudden think we will be able to develop good squad quality players from our youth development system in enough numbers to make a difference!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:11 pm

theHotHead wrote:We have not been good bringing youth through for donkeys years, it was a myth that Wenger wad good at it. How many successes did he have? A Cole, Fabregas, RVP, Wilshere, Ramsey, I will add Walcott grudgingly, who else of worth?? Shezza, will give you him grudgingly too. For 20 years thats pretty shit.

So dunno why people all of a sudden think we will be able to develop good squad quality players from our youth development system in enough numbers to make a difference!!!

Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

We haven't burned down the youth academy and banished the whole system. We'll still bring through young players but hopefully when they're ready to step in and earn their place.

Money still needs to be spent in both areas and, most importantly given our situation, a priority needs to be established. If the focus is skewed to the first team, we miss out on quality rising stars and our chance to make more money if we decide to sell players or build a better team by retaining the players. Not to mention our efforts will most likely be in vain considering the quality of players already possessed by the other big teams. Alternatively, if the focus is skewed to younger players, we reduce our chances of winning anything of note in the short term due to a lack of experience.

The one factor, imo, that should decide which strategy a club in our position should gravitate towards is how much that club is willing to spend. Since we can’t/aren’t willing to match the spending of other big clubs despite the fact that we are one, our strategy should be skewed towards acquiring and developing rising stars imho.

If the strategy is skewed in the other direction without fully committing to it, we end up with an Ozil situation where we get a good quality player in but surround the player with an average team due to our inability to get quality players in other areas. We then wonder why the player can’t live up to expectations and why in certain cases the player wants to be sold. If we put more effort (or at least more than our rivals) at acquiring and developing rising stars, we create an avenue for future income if we ever decide to sell the players as well as improve our ability to buy ready-made players year-on-year due to the potential revenue from selling the young players once they’ve reached a good age.

The success of the latter strategy however hinges of course on factors such as the timing of when these players are sold and the coaching of the players. And, tbf, these two reasons alone are justifiable cause for concern considering the clubs recent history with managing the buying and selling of players. But if this issue can be resolved, the strategy is no doubt the right strategy for us given the circumstances and, again, why letting Sven go (if he does go) is a stupid move.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Crimson, good post. Unfortunately the way I see it we have had umpteen false dawns with dozens of young players. If indeed we need to go down the developing route I don't see any real success coming from it. I think the real goal should be finding the young players that already have first team experience elsewhere and are ready to come straight in to our first team, like RVP and Anelka did.

Finding future Cesc Fabregases will be far more difficult. Developing a Tony Adams or Rocky Rocastle from schoolboy route will be the most difficult because so few actually end up being top quality players.

Our future will most likely be a bit of all of the above with the odd "big name player" augmenting things.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:10 pm

theHotHead wrote:Crimson, good post. Unfortunately the way I see it we have had umpteen false dawns with dozens of young players. If indeed we need to go down the developing route I don't see any real success coming from it. I think the real goal should be finding the young players that already have first team experience elsewhere and are ready to come straight in to our first team, like RVP and Anelka did.

Finding future Cesc Fabregases will be far more difficult. Developing a Tony Adams or Rocky Rocastle from schoolboy route will be the most difficult because so few actually end up being top quality players.

Our future will most likely be a bit of all of the above with the odd "big name player" augmenting things.

That's my view as well. If you can't cut it in the first team, you shouldn't be signed to hold down a first team spot. The fans haven't got the patience to watch a player develop in that position. You only have to look at the treatment of Iwobi as proof. If they're not a superstar by their first season the player won't get the type of support needed from crowd. We need to sign players that can cope with the demand and hit the ground running.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk