Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby Luzh 22 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 am

Apparently he's in trouble for making gestures to "the crowd" after scoring against Serbia.

Did he flip the bird? Nazi salute? Nope, even worse...

He had the temerity to make the Albanian Eagle from his hands, which is really bad taste after his country of origin was once ethnically cleansed by the Serbs, and was only stopped by the intervention of NATO. As you can imagine, the Serbs were super pissed at this outrageous showing, so pissed you might assume they were the ones being ethnically cleansed...

How dare he. :lol:
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby PairyGrows » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:03 pm

Football can be a force which unites people whereas politics will certainly divide them. Mix the two together, and you'll have lost the unitary aspect of the former at the expense of the warm fuzzies provided for you by the latter.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Jedi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:40 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:
He had the temerity to make the Albanian Eagle from his hands, which is really bad taste after his country of origin was once ethnically cleansed by the Serbs, and was only stopped by the intervention of NATO. As you can imagine, the Serbs were super pissed at this outrageous showing, so pissed you might assume they were the ones being ethnically cleansed...

Hmm really makes you think...you might be onto something...

Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:43 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:Great strike but why did that Bosnian defender just dive out of the way of the ball?

Ivanovic is a Serbian
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Don't really care about what the Serbs think as long as he can produce these against the Spuds and ManU on a regular basis.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:00 pm

ag6789 wrote:Don't really care about what the Serbs think as long as he can produce these against the Spuds and ManU on a regular basis.

I agree tbh
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 am

ag6789 wrote:Don't really care about what the Serbs think as long as he can produce these against the Spuds and ManU on a regular basis.

Nor should you. From all of the documentaries that I've watched on specifically the Balkans, these are ass backwards war mongering people who still continue with a radical regime. Their current leader participated in the ethnic cleansing campaigns of the 90s. Their previous leader led the paramilitary units. Their saving grace is Russia whom they live off of. The fact that the resident serbian poster on this very forum felt the need to go out of his way to spew his Serbian propaganda when the whole western world knows what happened really tells you the state of their country. The less association our team has with them, the better it is for us. Unlike some other clubs, we are held to certain standards.
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Jedi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:29 am

King of Highbury XIV wrote:

Nor should you. From all of the documentaries that I've watched on specifically the Balkans, these are ass backwards war mongering people who still continue with a radical regime. Their current leader participated in the ethnic cleansing campaigns of the 90s.

Here's another documentary then, an interview with the great Noam Chomsky on the topic of Yugoslav wars and American Imperialism.

I assume you don't have the patience for a 36 minutes video so here's a shorter video done by VICE who i assume also wouldn't be spewing Serbian propaganda:

As for the "leader" of Serbia he isn't the leader, he is the dictator (which the EU has turned a blind eye to because he's mostly doing their bidding) I've personally been involved in protests against him, and while he used to be a ultra nationalist, he has zero connections to ethnic cleansing so this is a fabrication on your part.

Their saving grace is Russia whom they live off of.

How so? Serbian economy is largely tied to the EU and has very little to do with Russia. You should check your facts.

The fact that the resident serbian poster on this very forum felt the need to go out of his way to spew his Serbian propaganda when the whole western world knows what happened really tells you the state of their country.

I didn't know information by the Human Rights Watch and the tribunal in Hague is now "Serbian propaganda", but again, you clearly don't care about facts and reality so i probably shouldn't bother explaining that to you.

The less association our team has with them, the better it is for us. Unlike some other clubs, we are held to certain standards.

LMAO, just imagine if this same was said about jews or gay people. How is this not a discriminatory statement? Mods?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Pudpop » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Yeah, that last statement isn't even remotely ok.

Jedi, I know it can be annoying/triggering when people say things about your country without doing any real research, but if I were you I'd just ignore it and move on. Unless someone actually asks for you to explain something that happened it's just not going to be worthwhile. At least that's the experience I've had on here.

For the forum in general, these conversations can be very interesting and educational but they need to be approached in the correct manner. For example I haven't made any statements about Serbian conflict when I've commented on Xhaka and Shaqiri's actions because I don't know much about it (hence why my comments have been almost exclusively about what they did itself and not the context), and if you haven't done extensive research in the topic then the only way to avoid insulting people out of ignorance is to not make blasè statements about things you haven't done proper research for.

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well but I just want to reiterate that if you only have a passing knowledge of something then please don't make sweeping statements because of something you read in an article once. I have firsthand experience of that on this forum and it can be a lot more insulting than you think.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 pm

Pudpop wrote:Yeah, that last statement isn't even remotely ok.

Jedi, I know it can be annoying/triggering when people say things about your country without doing any real research, but if I were you I'd just ignore it and move on. Unless someone actually asks for you to explain something that happened it's just not going to be worthwhile. At least that's the experience I've had on here.

For the forum in general, these conversations can be very interesting and educational but they need to be approached in the correct manner. For example I haven't made any statements about Serbian conflict when I've commented on Xhaka and Shaqiri's actions because I don't know much about it (hence why my comments have been almost exclusively about what they did itself and not the context), and if you haven't done extensive research in the topic then the only way to avoid insulting people out of ignorance is to not make blasè statements about things you haven't done proper research for.

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well but I just want to reiterate that if you only have a passing knowledge of something then please don't make sweeping statements because of something you read in an article once. I have firsthand experience of that on this forum and it can be a lot more insulting than you think.

Good post.

I've even said myself before that i don't have the desire to discuss politics on a football forum, especially not in the Granit Xhaka and World Cup threads and i even deleted my two initial knee jerk responses in the world cup thread, but i keep getting triggered and i keep doing it again and again. It's obviously a big waste of time since nobody gives a f**k about this topic so I'll do my best to refrain from discussing it again unless someone directly responds to something I've said.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Pudpop wrote:Yeah, that last statement isn't even remotely ok.

To be fair I think you are pretty much spot on. I don't think you need to be an expert on a topic to be able to discuss it, you should have a reasonable understanding though. I think the generalisation that Serbians are akin to animals is very disrespectful however ! I was in Serbia twice and I loved it. I didn't enjoy the meathead frothing at the mouth shouting racist abuse at me, on the banks of the Danube in Novi Sad though. But that was countered by the hot girl who's boyfriend told me she had never seen a black guy in real life and wanted to touch my skin and have her photo taken with me ! :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:36 pm

I can safely say that my knowledge on the subject of the Balkan Wars is as close to first hand as it's going to get. Researching wars is a passion of mine and I'm not even going to waste this forums' time mentioning how messed up Serbia is. It's all documented and available on the internet. BBC has an excellent 5 part documentary on it. One of many. We're not talking about Jews or Gays, people who have been persecuted for their beliefs throughout the course of their history. We are talking about a people (Serbians) who have done that to others (predominantly Bosnians/Kosovans/Albians).
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:57 pm

He is so bad

Horrific defending and Swiss are out
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby arsenalpan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Sell him, iwobi and welbeck to get a winger.
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Hes coming home guys :(
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football