Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery confirmed as Arsenal manager

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:
Zedie wrote:

* Emery is seen as the ultimate pragmatist by Millar. He will win anyway way he can and will try to exploit the weaknesses of the opposition. He likes his teams to press high up the pitch, he likes a lot of running from his players and he likes his team to attack and defend as a unit and he likes his full-backs to provide width going forward too. 

I think some of our players are in for quite a shock... They've taken the piss for far too long, taken advantage of the good nature of the old manager, and for some, this comfortable life is all they know.

Roll on the new season.

I'm hoping that makes some think that they're starting position may be in jeopardy as well, so we have some good old fashioned competition for some of those starting spots that may be up for grabs. Which will hopefully make them give a little more effort if they weren't before.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Thu May 24, 2018 7:14 pm

btw, emery's sevilla beat klopps likverpool in europa final aftre being down 1-0 at half. i'd not remembered that.
team had balls. that's what we need badly.

also, another thing i didnt know... from the guardian.."Klopp launched into a hoarse version of “We Are Liverpool” once his rallying call was over. It was a stoic effort considering he had just suffered a fifth consecutive cup final defeat "

5 cup defeats on the trot? eeesh.

sorta makes you think Rm will will do their thing...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby indy23 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:22 pm

This whole pressing high up the pitch makes me all tingly inside.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Thu May 24, 2018 8:27 pm

I'm still not sure what the goals for this season are? Lets say he finishes outside top 4, but no worse than Wenger (5th or 6th) with no trophies, does he get to stay and try again next season?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsene Nose » Thu May 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Wenger finished 5th and 6th after 20 years in the top 4. It was the exception not the rule. Please stop behaving like we were regularly finishing outside the top four with Wenger.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ESR10 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:Wenger finished 5th and 6th after 20 years in the top 4. It was the exception not the rule. Please stop behaving like we were regularly finishing outside the top four with Wenger.

We were on a steady decline. I don't think Wenger would have been able to bring us back in the top 4, let alone win the title.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Arsene Nose » Thu May 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Mustafi wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:Wenger finished 5th and 6th after 20 years in the top 4. It was the exception not the rule. Please stop behaving like we were regularly finishing outside the top four with Wenger.

We were on a steady decline. I don't think Wenger would have been able to bring us back in the top 4, let alone win the title.

I agree but to say Wenger gave us 5th and 6th when more often than not it was top four is unreasonable.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 pm

The major problem was he couldn't address repeated mistakes, especially in defense. For such an intelligent man it's quite mind boggling that evaded him, which lesser coaches like Howe , Sean Dyche even Pulis during his time at Stoke and WB could figure out. Repeatedly getting beaten while playing a high-line. Repeatedly getting beaten during corners ( which he did address during 2015-2016, but strangely relapsed later). Also, I must say, Koscielny, our mainstay in defense, has been terribly inconsistent throughout, making odd mistake every now and then. Again the Ramsey-Wilshere-Xhaka factor. Terrible in tackling and given away numerous goals in important games. Especially, against 'high-press' teams. Wenger just couldn't fathom these since 2011. Very vexing indeed.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Andrew » Thu May 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Was about to abandon Arsenal , but for some reason I'm really excited about next season since Gazidis confirmed his guy .

Can't wait. :1990_dancing.gif:
Making good men better----->PM
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Lol

Absolute melt
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Thu May 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Yeah, my bad. Also Herbert Chapman won the league in 1931, doesn't really seem relevant to the conversation, does it? I'm talking about what realistic goals can be set for Emery so, obviously, i'm mentioning the last two seasons. Nobody is taking a dig at Wenger, no need to police the forum for every post that doesn't mention his every accolade.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Thu May 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Jedieurokrem wrote:I'm still not sure what the goals for this season are? Lets say he finishes outside top 4, but no worse than Wenger (5th or 6th) with no trophies, does he get to stay and try again next season?

He should.

Depends on how close we are to the teams above us. We were nowhere near this season and had to battle Burnley ffs.

Personally Europa is the main competition.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 pm

the goal of the season for me is to see clear improvements in performances on the pitch. the top 6 is so strong now what will be will be, but if we look like we're heading in the right direction, back to playing lovely football whilst also being pragmatic during games then ill be very happy

naturally if this happens we should be amongst it anyway
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Luzh 22 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Andrew wrote:Was about to abandon Arsenal , but for some reason I'm really excited about next season since Gazidis confirmed his guy .

Can't wait. :1990_dancing.gif:

This says everyhing about you.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Jedieurokrem wrote:I'm still not sure what the goals for this season are? Lets say he finishes outside top 4, but no worse than Wenger (5th or 6th) with no trophies, does he get to stay and try again next season?

It depends more on performance and when he gets started how much damage there is to fix in the team.

Example, Emery sets up a game plan but half the team are to unskilled to pull it off ......... is that the managers fault, or Wenger's / the clubs for leaving him with players like Iwobi and Welbeck?

If they're not going to get him better players to work with then we will see this on the pitch and he'll get at least this season then next to shape this team.

So it really all depends on whether or not Gazidis makes him use what we have or if they press ahead with a new squad sooner rather than later.

You can't expect to build a house with dog sh*t.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football