The OUTRAGEOUS Scenario Thread Feat. Arsenal Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Pick your most preferred scenario

Wenger stays; Alexis and Ozil leave
8%
Wenger stays; Alexis and Ozil stay too
36%
Wenger leaves; followed by Alexis and Ozil - Eddie Howe signs on
4%
Alexis and Ozil stay; Eddie Howe is named Arsenal manager
8%
Rafa Benitez - FACHTS!
40%
Alexis and Ozil are gone; rumors of Steve Bould taking over
No votes
David "Ozil not as good as Fellaini" Moyes
No votes
Alexis should join Barca - he deserves better
4%

Total votes : 25

Re: The OUTRAGEOUS Scenario Thread Feat. Arsenal Manager

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Cripps wrote:
Angelito wrote:
What has Benitez achieved since Liverpool? Please elucidate. Copa Italia with Napoli? And a EL with Chelsea that nobody seems to care about because they were the defending champions (CL). He's irrelevant. Man has managed 6 games in the CL since 2010.

The myth of Rafa's defense can be busted during his stay at Inter and later Napoli. With Wenger, you get consistency. With Rafa, you don't and he doesn't have the track record of Wenger. People kinda ignore how consistent and fruitful Arsene has been for Arsenal. Rafa Benitez is the same man who was sacked by Real 4 months into his job because nobody was willing to listen to him. That's surprising even by Real Madrid's standard. And he was sacked 6 months into his job - managing a treble winning Inter side.

Do you guys honestly believe that Rafa is going to win us the League if he replaces Wenger?

More than Wenger in the same time period. How many games he's had in the CL is irrelevant. He's won it. Knows how to win it. Also reached another final. Rather that then be in the CL x amount of years and achieve nothing.

Do I want Rafa after Wenger? No. Do I want Rafa instead of Wenger? Yes.

I don't think we'll win the league. Again irrelevant. All I want is hope. Hope that has been crushed by seeing the same shit every year. It's time we took a risk. We might get better. We might not. It's something different though.

Rafa is also a lot less riskier than someone like Howe.

I don't ask for trophies. I don't expect us to win the title every year. This isn't celtic where all they have to do is register the team for the season and titles won.

I just want a Wengerless Arsenal that will try their hearts out win or lose.

All comes down to hope.

Well said sir
And as far as the Benitez/ Howe issue it falls into the utter bollocks of careful what you wish for
Arsenal huge club in fantastic city
Great job
Managers will be falling over themselves to get the cvs in
Do it now
Have a caretaker manager till you get the right man
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:48 am

Angelito wrote:Sigh, clearly rational thinking seems to elude many.

I think instead of arguing that Rafa is better than Wenger, it'd be more accurate to say that you'd want Rafa to replace Wenger because you want Wenger out no matter what. It's anybody but Wenger. That will settle the argument.

I can't be bothered trotting over the inherited defense. Can wake a person who's asleep. Can't wake those who pretend to be asleep, or are in coma.

Finally, on Wenger's consistency, sadly the game seems to pass many by. Wenger's consistency is sought after by almost every club in the world. Only a few like Bayern, Chelsea, City, and Real would be happy as they are. United wanted that consistency with Moyes. That's why they hired him. They wanted to clear the debt, while remaining stable. We're sick of Wenger because of his tactical naivety, our dramatic curves every season, and simply because we don't seem to challenge for the title. On the flip side, as an owner would look at it, Wenger ensures CL every season; his net spend is unrivaled by any top-flight, League winning manager in the last 25 years. And, he's created a brand.

This doesn't mean Wenger should stay. But there is enough evidence that Wenger is sought after. Look at Ranieri's situation. If Leicester had finished 10th last season and were 12th in the table right now, he'd still be on the job. Even better, if he'd finished 5th last season and were 10th right now with Leicester in the Ro16 of the EL, their owners/fans would be even more happier than they are now. The way people look at it - they'd rather prefer consistency than highs and lows.

It's a sad state. Simply put, if you blame Wenger for all the problems today, you also have to credit him for the highs. We tend to forget that up until 2010 Wenger was still a world class manager. By 2010, Rafa was finished. Fin.

Sought after by who ?? That ship has sailed when the likes of Real Madrid courted him. The only top club that would want Wenger is PSG and thats because he is pals with the owners. Do you think Barca, Real Madrid, Inter, Milan, Juventus, Liverpool, Man U, Man City or Chelsea would take Wenger ? No way. It would have to be a team that thinks they are big but can't afford to live with the big boys and are trying to break into the CL.

Consistency ? Top clubs want to win things, they don't want consistent top 4 finishes, its why they change managers.

If top clubs want consistency they may as well get Pulis or Allardyce in, even Mark Hughes, they have proved to be very consistent at clubs.

Top clubs want to win, its the reason Mourinho said Wenger is in a privileged position that no other manager is in. That in a nutshell explains Wenger's position - Can't win, won't win. won't get sacked.

Wenger is our greatest manager but you can only dine on that for so long. We were sold a dream of moving to the Emirates to be able to compete, the shackles have been off for long enough and I don't see us competing. It would be different if we could see Wenger trying new stuff and it failed, but its the same old same old. Seeing a man devoid of ideas and clueless on the touchline tells me his time is up. In this case the saying is true about old dogs and new tricks. You cannot tell me we pay the highest prices in football and yet we scour the leagues and buy 2nd, 3rd and 4th rate players continually. Is that what we left Highbury for ?
Last edited by theHotHead on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:53 am

Since we are considering one time CL wonders like Benitez, please spare a thought for Roberto di Mateo as well. I'm sure he'd love to manage Arsenal.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pudpop » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:03 am

Arsene Nose wrote:Since we are considering one time CL wonders like Benitez, please spare a thought for Roberto di Mateo as well. I'm sure he'd love to manage Arsenal.

Agree. Fire Wenger now and we might win the CL this season a la Chelsea in 2012

We have a better team now than they did then...
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby diesel » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:01 am

Cracking debate in last 24 hours chaps. Obvious dilemma is that no one can guarantee what approach is gonna work nor what's gonna faili.e proven successful top manager, or exciting upcoming manager?) . Wenker was unknown and initially glorious success, whereas LVG was renowned for success and fails big time at manure. That said I'm sort of racking my brains for last time a top successful manager (guardiola, Maureen, ancelotti, conte, klopp, etc) made a total pigs ear of next job. So like other posters, we need to go balls out for a top, top man NOW. Every other top team know Arsenal prob on the market so the good guys will be gone AGAIN by the summer if we don't act fast.
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Angelito » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:27 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Angelito wrote:Sigh, clearly rational thinking seems to elude many.

I think instead of arguing that Rafa is better than Wenger, it'd be more accurate to say that you'd want Rafa to replace Wenger because you want Wenger out no matter what. It's anybody but Wenger. That will settle the argument.

I can't be bothered trotting over the inherited defense. Can wake a person who's asleep. Can't wake those who pretend to be asleep, or are in coma.

Finally, on Wenger's consistency, sadly the game seems to pass many by. Wenger's consistency is sought after by almost every club in the world. Only a few like Bayern, Chelsea, City, and Real would be happy as they are. United wanted that consistency with Moyes. That's why they hired him. They wanted to clear the debt, while remaining stable. We're sick of Wenger because of his tactical naivety, our dramatic curves every season, and simply because we don't seem to challenge for the title. On the flip side, as an owner would look at it, Wenger ensures CL every season; his net spend is unrivaled by any top-flight, League winning manager in the last 25 years. And, he's created a brand.

This doesn't mean Wenger should stay. But there is enough evidence that Wenger is sought after. Look at Ranieri's situation. If Leicester had finished 10th last season and were 12th in the table right now, he'd still be on the job. Even better, if he'd finished 5th last season and were 10th right now with Leicester in the Ro16 of the EL, their owners/fans would be even more happier than they are now. The way people look at it - they'd rather prefer consistency than highs and lows.

It's a sad state. Simply put, if you blame Wenger for all the problems today, you also have to credit him for the highs. We tend to forget that up until 2010 Wenger was still a world class manager. By 2010, Rafa was finished. Fin.

Sought after by who ?? That ship has sailed when the likes of Real Madrid courted him. The only top club that would want Wenger is PSG and thats because he is pals with the owners. Do you think Barca, Real Madrid, Inter, Milan, Juventus, Liverpool, Man U, Man City or Chelsea would take Wenger ? No way. It would have to be a team that thinks they are big but can't afford to live with the big boys and are trying to break into the CL.

Consistency ? Top clubs want to win things, they don't want consistent top 4 finishes, its why they change managers.

If top clubs want consistency they may as well get Pulis or Allardyce in, even Mark Hughes, they have proved to be very consistent at clubs.

Top clubs want to win, its the reason Mourinho said Wenger is in a privileged position that no other manager is in. That in a nutshell explains Wenger's position - Can't win, won't win. won't get sacked.

Wenger is our greatest manager but you can only dine on that for so long. We were sold a dream of moving to the Emirates to be able to compete, the shackles have been off for long enough and I don't see us competing. It would be different if we could see Wenger trying new stuff and it failed, but its the same old same old. Seeing a man devoid of ideas and clueless on the touchline tells me his time is up. In this case the saying is true about old dogs and new tricks. You cannot tell me we pay the highest prices in football and yet we scour the leagues and buy 2nd, 3rd and 4th rate players continually. Is that what we left Highbury for ?

And I should use a face palm now. I covered both sides of the story. Can't be arsed to argue with someone who can't comprehend or think critically.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:10 am

Face palm away. You have your opinion and I have mine.

I m still laughing at the fact you think Wenger is sought after by ANY top club apart from PSG (anyone other than a top club is a step down and proves my point that he is not good enough for top clubs now).
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby MecurialGooner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:31 pm

theHotHead wrote:Face palm away. You have your opinion and I have mine.

I m still laughing at the fact you think Wenger is sought after by ANY top club apart from PSG (anyone other than a top club is a step down and proves my point that he is not good enough for top clubs now).
MecurialGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Are you guys 15? Being the Ostrich burying the head in the sand isn't helpful. It's clear that rational thinking is eluding you people.

Brazil, England, PSG, France are four mere examples in the last 2-3 years alone.

And the reason Real/Barca don't approach Wenger anymore is because he ain't leaving Arsenal. I can understand everything, but stupidity and idiocy are not among them. I don't know in basements, but in real life - employers don't approach you regularly once you keep on rejects jobs.

You people want Wenger out; it's fine. Most do. What is not fine is trying to paint a black and white story. Life doesn't work that way. Sigh.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nuggets » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Wonga will make money wherever he goes, that for some clubs might be enough so yes he will be offered another job, top clubs might want him for that alone, he is just no good for us as he sees making money and ass kissing the Yank as his priority.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby MecurialGooner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:31 pm

LOL any top clubs except PSG, and the only club you could list was........PSG :lol:

The reason Real/Barca do not approach Wenger is because he hasn't won anything of any real value in 13 years. And also because they can see the direction he's taken Arsenal since 2006. From CL finalists to European minnows, whipping boys and also-rans. No top team in Europe fears Arsenal. In fact they laugh at us, that's the primary reason Barca/Real don't want Wonga. Because they know he has no drive and ambition to win anything, lacks winning mentality and settles for mediocrity.

The secondary reason would be rejection of job offers in the past like you mentioned. Rejection of job offers alone would NEVER stop a top football team with finances from going after their primary and number #1 target for manager. This is football, they would persist as long as they can. Every summer they would pose the question to their target manager. Just like rejection doesn't stop football clubs from going after their primary targets for players, every summer there will be a representative asking that player if he is interested in a move. Same with managers/coaches.
MecurialGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:42 am

Nuggets wrote:Wonga will make money wherever he goes, that for some clubs might be enough so yes he will be offered another job, top clubs might want him for that alone, he is just no good for us as he sees making money and ass kissing the Yank as his priority.

Thank you.

It's hilarious we're having this argument amidst Leicester fans admitting that they'd rather have finished 10th last season and 12th this season than winning the League one season and fighting for relegation/getting relegated the subsequent season.

Football is a commercial venture. One manager has been able to remain the CL the longest of all clubs (alongside Bayern and Real). Those profits, minimum expenditure, ROI, brand development, image management, etc. are highly appealing to owners. On top of that, Arsene has branded himself as an aesthetics man - in that he opts for pleasing football.

You just have to wonder when a trash manager like Tata Martino or a semi-decent manager like Lucho are getting big jobs at Barca. Over the last 10 years, some of Real's managers have been way below their standards. Man United gave the job to Moyes. Chelsea's list of managers are equally erratic.

I find it difficult that people can't separate the feeling of being sick, as a Gooner, under Wenger to the feeling that Wenger is useless beyond redemption. He's still a dependable manager for many such clubs and countries. Even he weren't, we wouldn't be getting top-4 all these years - something even ManU is desperate to get. Just because you'd want to break-up with your fiancee - that doesn't indicate that your fiancee is beyond repair. It's just a matter of change.

It's some of posts in this thread that confirms why we have such a poor reputation amongst football fans. It's like arguing with a wall. But as Mark Twain said.. "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." :rolleyes:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:22 am

Other managers at other clubs either go all out to win the CL and sacrifice top 4 cos of it. Or go all out for the title and do their best in the CL.

We do neither. We go all out for top 4 and sacrifice title and CL. You have seen it over the years, we are in a title race, Wenger won't sign anyone in January. Top 4 under threat? In come players.

Also when the same manager is in charge of a club who makes the same mistakes season after season despite a turnover of players then really can you blame the fans for disliking him? I just want something different. It might be different bad but guess what, it might be different good and I'm a naturally optimistic positive person and I think we should take the risk. I don't know what will happen. Exciting though.

Keeping Wenger, we all know what will happen. Boring as f**k. And our football under him is terrible.

If Arsenal were a person, we'd be some emo about to cut our wrists cos we are in depressed mode.

As for Wenger getting another top job, can't see it. If the club has a board like ours that value money and yachts over fans and trophies then he's the man. I don't think any do though. No club will touch him. France manager then retirement for him.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 am

I think Wenger will still find jobs at other top clubs, the other leagues are less competitive and actually more suited to his style.

In the pl his out of his depth though
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby MecurialGooner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Cripps wrote:Other managers at other clubs either go all out to win the CL and sacrifice top 4 cos of it. Or go all out for the title and do their best in the CL.

We do neither. We go all out for top 4 and sacrifice title and CL. You have seen it over the years, we are in a title race, Wenger won't sign anyone in January. Top 4 under threat? In come players.

Also when the same manager is in charge of a club who makes the same mistakes season after season despite a turnover of players then really can you blame the fans for disliking him? I just want something different. It might be different bad but guess what, it might be different good and I'm a naturally optimistic positive person and I think we should take the risk. I don't know what will happen. Exciting though.

Keeping Wenger, we all know what will happen. Boring as f**k. And our football under him is terrible.

If Arsenal were a person, we'd be some emo about to cut our wrists cos we are in depressed mode.

As for Wenger getting another top job, can't see it. If the club has a board like ours that value money and yachts over fans and trophies then he's the man. I don't think any do though. No club will touch him. France manager then retirement for him.

:clap: :clap:
MecurialGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk